Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
Night training a 4.5 year old UPDATE

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 8:24 am
My pediatrician recommended trying to get rid of the diapers at night by her 4 year well visit . I was hesitant because she woke up every morning with her diaper soaked. A few nights away I put her diaper on, she laid down and told me "mom I peed". I sorta knew she was probably being lazy but I decided then to night train her.
1st night was sat night . I stopped drinks at 4. Put her in at 7 woke her to pee at 10 she didnt go, and again at 1- she went then and woke up dry
Sun night - I woke her to go at 10 she didnt go when I went back at like 2 am she had already peed herself . I didnt wake her to change her
Last night - went to take her to pee at 10 and she had already wet herself . This morning she told me I woke up dry . Haha so gross but it totally dried by the morn.
Shes sleeping on an $8 air mattress because she insists on sleeping with the baby and there is no bed in there. I got her a couch throw as a blanket . In the mornings I was down the mattress with a wipe and throw the blanket in the wash. I'll probably toss both once training is done.
Looking for ideas of what worked for you when night training , what am I doing wrong?

amother
White

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 8:29 am
🤷🏻‍♀️ My 5.5 year old isn’t trained at night yet and my 6.5 year old finally just trained herself. As far as I know, a child has to be physically ready. It’s harder to train at night than by day. My pediatrician told me many children are still not night trained in kindergarten.

tsc3

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 9:32 am
It sounds like you are doing everything right. From my experience her own instinct should kick in soon.
I basically did what u are doing - they went to the bathroom before going in, I would wake them once a night and sometimes they still peed the bed. I think my waking them just petered out and eventually they stopped on their own. One of my kids with a tiny bladder will wake up some times to go to the bathroom on his own.
It takes patience and persistence and lots of laundry loads but will happen iyh soon.
Good luck!

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 9:51 am
What's the emergency at this age? Almost every child naturally starts staying dry through the night at some point. A lot of it is biological and depends on when their body is ready. I never night trained any of my kids, and neither did most of the people I know. It happens on its own.

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 9:56 am
I let my kids get night trained naturally. 5 nights-a week dry the diaper comes off. OP, I wouldnt bother for at least another year.

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 10:26 am
I'm sleeping training her because 1. I feel like she is ready and just lazy. 2. The pediatrician thought I should give it a shot
It cant hurt . If after a week or 2 I see it's really not going I will give it up.
If this isnt your method that is fine . You do you I'll do me Smile

amother
Bisque

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 10:29 am
If she is lazy, it doesn't really matter if she's trained or not, she'll wet herself regardless.
One of my nieces, shes 10 years old and still sometimes cant be bothered to go to the bathroom. When shes in middle of playing outside or doing something interesting she'll just pee.... she's just lazy to go. She doesn't mind that's her clothes are wet.

amother
Coral

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 10:32 am
amother wrote:
I'm sleeping training her because 1. I feel like she is ready and just lazy. 2. The pediatrician thought I should give it a shot
It cant hurt . If after a week or 2 I see it's really not going I will give it up.
If this isnt your method that is fine . You do you I'll do me Smile

The reason I don't night train is because it causes unnecessary guilt and bad feelings for kids who are truly not biologically ready.

mandr

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 11:41 am
Waking a child to go in the middle of the night doesn’t help with training.

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 1:59 pm
So not to make an ayin hara but bh the night training was a success. Pediatrician was right . who would have thought;)
Well hindsight - was she "biologically" ready or not ??? Maybe so kids just need that push or they will never do it on their own...?

sirel

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 2:08 pm
IME the best and easiest way to night train is to do it immediately when toilet training.
Diapers go off and never go back on again.
if you dont catch it during that first day or two when their bodies have just discovered how to control their bladder, you often lose it and it takes a lot of effort to regain.

Worked for all of mine bli ayin hara

sirel

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 2:09 pm
amother wrote:
I let my kids get night trained naturally. 5 nights-a week dry the diaper comes off. OP, I wouldnt bother for at least another year.

Why would their diapers be dry if they have diapers on ?
It's like waiting to toilet train a kid , until his diapers are dry.

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 2:22 pm
sirel wrote:
IME the best and easiest way to night train is to do it immediately when toilet training.
Diapers go off and never go back on again.
if you dont catch it during that first day or two when their bodies have just discovered how to control their bladder, you often lose it and it takes a lot of effort to regain.

Worked for all of mine bli ayin hara

Some kids.
Others not.

My oldest was finally trained at 3. (Not for lack of trying) She still peed herself almost daily that summer. She's 5 and can sometimes wet thru her pullup in middle of the night. Minimal drinks past 5. And she goes before bed. She so badly wants to wake up dry. And shes disappointed and so frustrated. So I don't even encourage it at this point. It's not something we discuss at all. When I'll see her body might be ready well try again.

My 3 yo basically night trained herself before 2.5. She was horrified that I wanted to put her on a pamper before bedtime.
I let her sleep without. Only once she was sick and once very constipated, other than that she didn't make in her bed ONCE.

It depends on the child.

amother
Bisque

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 2:25 pm
Sirel, I did this with all my kids. The latest age a kid was night trained was 4 years old.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training