Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Has everyone forgotten there are 2 Adars this year? lol!
1  2  Next

amother
Burlywood

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 8:17 am
All this discussion about MM is making me soooo nervous. Purim is like 6 weeks away. I just absolutely can't think that far ahead. How do you do it?

watergirl

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 8:19 am
Are you kidding me? My kids knew what they wanted to be for Purim since Shushan Purim! They do themed mm or just nosh, and DH and I have done the same mm for 12 years! Nothing to get nervous about. Take it easy and dont make mm into the massive ordeal that I’ve only ever “seen” in imamother land.

etky

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 8:30 am
amother wrote:
All this discussion about MM is making me soooo nervous. Purim is like 6 weeks away. I just absolutely can't think that far ahead. How do you do it?

You posted as amother so we don't know how long you've been here but yeah, Purim on imamother starts very, very early.
So does Pesach Sad

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 8:47 am
amother wrote:

I don’t like last minute pressure so I like to think early. Doesn’t harm anyone!!!! I actually bought costumes for cheap after Halloween this year so.....to each their own. Don’t get pressure because others are already talking about it- everyone works differently! Whatever works for you!!!

HappyGoLucky1

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 8:50 am
I'm with you OP!It's not the actual purim prep that gets me nervous, it's the fact that purim prep means pesach is RIGHT after that, and I am not ready in the slightest!

I'll just sit here twiddling my thumbs....

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 9:12 am
I went to our local store for their costume catalog....they said nothing doing till another 2 weeks. They didnt have a single costume or mm box out yet.

Also started getting nervous.....because of all the talk here last couple of weeks.

I then ran to Amazing Savings.....they had all their costumes & boxes out....but couldn't buy boxes if we didn't see yet the catalog of costumes to know what they're being....I usually match mm to the theme.

Iymnok

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 9:22 am
We ordered from Aliexpress a month ago. Good thing since the costume was the wrong size and the others haven’t arrived yet. $9 for a chosson costume works well for me. I won’t even mind tossing it afterwards.

The packaging could also be gotten cheaply online, but I haven’t decided on it yet.

The early costume from China idea came from my neighbor. She did it last year and saved a lot.

amother
Green

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 11:35 am
We also got costumes after Halloween for 7$. Plan on making mm with no perishables. Something I can just pack a month ahead. Isn't decided what yet. No theme. Just pretty. The kid want to dress up their own way at this point.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 12:44 pm
Chill, nobody’s packaging mm yet. It’s all planning and looking out for sales. But somehow my kids are already promised elsewhere for the seudah. Interesting how that works. They can’t tell me till ten o’clock Thursday night if they’re coming for Shabbas but they’re booked for Purim Seudah two months in advance.

cm

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 1:20 pm
Some years I start thinking about MM a day or two before Purim. Other years, I have a great idea many months ahead of time, so why wait - especially if I want to order supplies or shop around for something special.

thunderstorm

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 1:30 pm
flowerpower wrote:
I don’t like last minute pressure so I like to think early. Doesn’t harm anyone!!!! I actually bought costumes for cheap after Halloween this year so.....to each their own. Don’t get pressure because others are already talking about it- everyone works differently! Whatever works for you!!!

Me too. For me waiting until the last minute is what gives me pressure. My sister waits until the day or two before Purim and spends her days shopping and stressing over costumes and mm while I have nothing to do, because I'm all prepared way in advance. That's MY way of avoiding pressure. We each work differently. So ignore everyone if it gets you nervous.
I ordered costumes on Amazon last week. I'm happy I did, because one of the items is shipping from China and won't be expected to arrive until three days before Purim. If I waited to order it later, it wouldn't work.
Purim and should be a fun and enjoyable experience. The fact that people are taking pressure, getting stressed out over this special day, is defeating the whole purpose. OP, do what works for you .... you'll do just fine.

yksraya

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 3:18 pm
I enjoy planning for purim early. I like using my creativity and most yrs I make the costumes myself. I like to make very cute and/or original ideas and matching mm to it. I can only do so if I plan ahead, buy things in advance so it's cheaper or at least not a big expense at once. I find it's a pressure when I do things late and doing things early gives me more time for the last minute cooking etc that can't be done in advance. But to each their own. I know some like to do everything at once and be very busy the last few days.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 3:44 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Me too. For me waiting until the last minute is what gives me pressure. My sister waits until the day or two before Purim and spends her days shopping and stressing over costumes and mm while I have nothing to do, because I'm all prepared way in advance. That's MY way of avoiding pressure. We each work differently. So ignore everyone if it gets you nervous.
I ordered costumes on Amazon last week. I'm happy I did, because one of the items is shipping from China and won't be expected to arrive until three days before Purim. If I waited to order it later, it wouldn't work.
Purim and should be a fun and enjoyable experience. The fact that people are taking pressure, getting stressed out over this special day, is defeating the whole purpose. OP, do what works for you .... you'll do just fine.

Yups! And while there is a long line erev Purim at the Purim stores I am sitting with my feet up on my couch pressure free!!! Slow and steady works by me.

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 4:25 pm
To make hamantashen dough now and freeze it for later, or just to make it later? To pre-emptively invite people for seudah or hope last year's hosts invite us again this year? To revive a great costume from a few years ago or create a new, if mediocre, one from the ground up for this year? To buy MM goods on sale now and risk eating most of them myself between now and then, or to wait till right before Purim and pay top dollar? Decisions, decisions....

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 4:32 pm
I have a whole extra month in which to liquidate my chometz gamur. Note to self: Doesn't matter if pas yisroel organic gluten-free whole-grain yoga-approved glatt kosher pasta is on sale for ten cents per pound, you are NOT buying any!

rgr

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 4:47 pm
zaq wrote:
I have a whole extra month in which to liquidate my chometz gamur. Note to self: Doesn't matter if pas yisroel organic gluten-free whole-grain yoga-approved glatt kosher pasta is on sale for ten cents per pound, you are NOT buying any!

Well in that case it might be hefsed merubah. Ask your lor Wink

greenfire

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 5:14 pm
actually I did forget ~ up until shabbos mevorchim Adar Alef ... could always use an extra birthday celebration even if it's koton

zaq

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 9:50 pm
rgr wrote:
Well in that case it might be hefsed merubah. Ask your lor Wink

That’s not the issue. Space is. I don’t have a Pesach kitchen, basement, garage, attic, breezeway or shed. Before Pesach I have to pack up the contents of most of my kitchen and move it to a back bedroom. I then empty out the bedroom closet where I store the Pesach goods, move all that stuff to the kitchen cabinets, and stash the chometz goods in the bedroom closet. The less stuff is in the pantry the less stuff I have to pack, move, move back and unpack after Pesach. So it’s not just the pasta I’m trying to liquidate; it’s the beans and the tuna and the tomato sauce, too. Even more so, because they’re heavier than pasta.

No, I do not have a place where I can set up a collapsible shelving unit to hold my Pesach goods so that I can just tape shut the kitchen cabinets. It’s a great idea if you have the space; I don’t.

abaker

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 9:56 pm
And for me, we don't do the fanciest MM or costumes on the block but we've been talking Purim in our house for a while already. Something fun to look forward to and helps us get through the *winter*

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 10:04 pm
Quote:
Chill, nobody’s packaging mm yet.

I am! I'm usually a big procrastinator but I'm trying to turn over a new leaf, so I bought clearance non-perishables after Xmas/New Year's and packaged most of my MM yesterday. Writing the cards to the Rebbeim/teachers takes a while, so I'm planning to do that a bit at a time. Really proud of myself! I'm getting too old to do things last minute anymore...I don't have the same koach I used to.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics