Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Help me! I hoard magazines!

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:42 pm
I have piles everywhere! My DH buys them every week but I never throw them out! I don’t always get to finish them so I save it to “finish” them at a different time but that never happens! Can't Believe It
And I also want to save them for recipes I might make one day!
Any advice?
I’m going crazy from myself!

Cheiny

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:44 pm
amother wrote:
I have piles everywhere! My DH buys them every week but I never throw them out! I don’t always get to finish them so I save it to “finish” them at a different time but that never happens! Can't Believe It
Any advice?
I’m going crazy from myself!

I keep tons too, but at least I get free subscriptions! 😄. Set aside some time regularly, like I do, go through them and tear out whatever pages you want to keep, and toss the rest.

Last edited by Cheiny on Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:45 pm
Advice? Throw them out. There's nothing in there good enough to make up for the fact that they're cluttering your house. Promise.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 10:52 pm
Fold pages as you read of what you want to refer back to. Then snap pictures of the recipes you'd like to try out. And throw out!
If you didn't finish an issue, keep it open/folded to where you are up to and if you didn't catch up by the next week, out it goes.

I used to keep them too and I always wanted to refer back to them, but I never got to. It came to the point where the pile was so big that I just had to force myself to close my eyes and I cleared it all out into a garbage bag.

Now I snap photos and out it goes!

dankbar

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:01 pm
You can just tear out the recipes that you are actually planning to make. If you don't want your money to go to waste, you can hand it over to someone else to read the next week or when you're done. Or make a deal with a neighbor she buys one, you buy the other & switch off.

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:02 pm
Pass them out to friends, donate them to a library, etc. It somehow "feels better" than trashing them because they will still be used lol.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Feb 04 2019, 11:27 pm
Sometimes I scan a recipe or article I really want to save. My problem is I mostly read them on Shabbos and I have to sit down after Shabbos and see what I want to save.

Every so often I tell myself, " a clean uncluttered house is more important than any piece of information I might have in one of those mags". I don't listen to myself too well though.

I recently came across a diagnosis that might resonate with you:
abibliophobia
a- +‎ biblio- +‎ -phobia
Noun

(humorous) Fear of running out of things to read. quotations ▲
2006, The Jewish Quarterly, page 72:

Professor David Latchman, the Master of Birkbeck College, suffers from abibliophobia, a common affliction amongst book collectors that manifests itself as a morbid fear of running out of reading material.

2010, Phil Cousineau, Wordcatcher: An Odyssey into the World of Weird and Wonderful Words, Viva Editions (2010), →ISBN, page 17:

Speaking of frightful words, a curious fear I've suffered from on occasion, especially on long airplane flights, is abibliophobia, the fear of not having enough to read.

2012, Laura M. Reckford, Frommer's Cape Cod, Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard, John Wiley & Sons (2012), →ISBN, page 110:

The outdoor racks, maintained on an honor system, are open 24 hours a day, for those who suffer from abibliophobia—fear of lacking for reading material.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 12:23 am
As with many things in life, what you do is the truest expression of what you want. If you want to read a magazine, you'll find time. (We're not talking War and Peace here.) If you haven't finished with a magazine by the time a new one comes into the house, that's the best proof that you really weren't interested.

When a new magazine comes into the house, put the old ones into the recycling bin, or give them to a preschool teacher to use for projects. Honestly, your life will not change if you miss out on a recipe or interesting article.

Easier said than done, but that's life.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 12:31 am
I give it away Sun/Mon so it’s gone by the time the next weeks magazines come. If there’s a very interesting article I’ll save that magazine for another week or so.
Regarding recipes- tear out the ones that look like you will really use. Otherwise, skip it.... people have drawers of untouched recipes.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 12:46 am
Since any recipe is available online, and I have several cookbooks, I don't see any long term value in magazine recipes. I suppose that if I did, they would need a filing system.
Unless I think that someone else will read the magazine, I read and toss. No space for collectables.

dankbar

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 12:58 am
Donate to Drs office waiting room, bikur cholim room in hospital if these two will take, if they dont have new current ones

amother
Ecru

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 1:55 am
amother wrote:
Advice? Throw them out. There's nothing in there good enough to make up for the fact that they're cluttering your house. Promise.

I agree with this. We have a few subscriptions and routinely now each week I recycle the old ones irrespective of whether the old ones have been thoroughly read or not.

levlongnprosper

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 8:14 pm
amother wrote:
I have piles everywhere!

Put them all in one pile/place so that a) they aren't affecting "everywhere" and 2) you always know where to find all of them and 3) you can get a sense of just how big the problem really is

amother wrote:
My DH buys them every week but I never throw them out!

You can ask him to stop bringing them home. Or you can work on throwing them out or giving yourself a deadline. Like, maybe two months to read them, and if ANYONE finds a magazine older than that, they should throw it out.

amother wrote:
I don’t always get to finish them so I save it to “finish” them at a different time but that never happens! Can't Believe It

You can't live life in the past. If you don't finish them, don't worry. Almost all of the information is available online should you ever need to go searching. This sounds like FOMO-- fear of missing out. If you live a life connected to other people (which, hello, frumkeit!), you will hear about anything of major relevance and importance to your day to day life. Try to let go of the "what ifs" and "one days" by focussing on what adds value to the present moment.

amother wrote:

Again, you can find all this and more online. If this is it, rip out the recipe pages and store them in a binder, and designate a time each week or month to go through and remove or file the ones you want to keep.

ALSO

Please consider recycling Cool
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics