Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Help! I became a Public Notary and don't know what do do!
1  2  Next

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 5:19 am
Hi I recently took a state notary test and became licensed because I heard its a good side income. The test is so easy but now I don't know what to do next? What does a notary do just stamp things? how do I know what these documents people bring to me are? What is the deal with having a journal thing. Can anyone give me some tips I want to work but feel really unconfident about it.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 5:24 am
I once became a public notary because it was required for a job I was doing but I never heard it brought in income. It was a couple of dollars a signature, last time I did it. What state are you in?

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 6:51 am
I am New York certified but I live in Israel. I got the idea to get certified when I needed a notary and went to a girl in Sanhedria who charged me 100 shekels (30$) to notarize something. I guess American notaries are harder to find in israel so you can charge more. I thought it sounded like an easy side income but I don't get exactly what I do when someone asks me to notarize something...

flmommy

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:08 am
Google it. Lots of good info online. You aren’t notorizing the paperwork they brought you just vouching for the persons identity.

nchr

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:25 am
amother wrote:
Hi I recently took a state notary test and became licensed because I heard its a good side income. The test is so easy but now I don't know what to do next?

Advertise? I'm not sure being a notary is an income source. It is usually something people do for convenience or a job requirement. It's usually $2 per signature if you charge. I notarize documents and dont charge a fee.

amother wrote:
What does a notary do just stamp things?

A notary confirms that the person who signed the document is the same person who should be signing through verifying the person's identification and signing where the notary should sign or on a separate notary sheet.

amother wrote:
how do I know what these documents people bring to me are?

Not your job. Although most documents have a title, etc. Some documents are notarized differently than others (I.e. a deed). You may want to not notarize documents like wills and trusts and advise people to sign at an attorney since an attorney could advise them regarding that document or see if there is foul play involved. However, that is not your job. You just need to confirm the identity of the signer.

amother wrote:
What is the deal with having a journal thing. Can anyone give me some tips I want to work but feel really unconfident about it.

The journal is to keep track of who signed what on what day. It's important if you'll ever be called to testify or confirm a signature.

amother
Jade

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:40 am
amother wrote:
I am New York certified but I live in Israel. I got the idea to get certified when I needed a notary and went to a girl in Sanhedria who charged me 100 shekels (30$) to notarize something. I guess American notaries are harder to find in israel so you can charge more. I thought it sounded like an easy side income but I don't get exactly what I do when someone asks me to notarize something...

NY only allows a maximum of 2 dollars a signature. Find out if you're allowed to charge a different amount if you're out of the country but it's possible you're not allowed to.

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:54 am
I just got 2 documents notarized at the American Embassy in Jerusalem for $50 (USD) apiece.
I am under the impression that it is illegal to notarize a US document off US soil even if you are certified in the US.
I never paid for this service in the US. It was done for me by a co-worker certified to do so. Sometimes I took her out for lunch in appreciation.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:06 am
amother wrote:
I just got 2 documents notarized at the American Embassy in Jerusalem for $50 (USD) apiece.
I am under the impression that it is illegal to notarize a US document off US soil even if you are certified in the US.
I never paid for this service in the US. It was done for me by a co-worker certified to do so. Sometimes I took her out for lunch in appreciation.

I think you are correct that it needs to be done at the embassy and needs to get a special seal (forgot what it's called) if you are having documents signed and notarized out of the U.S..

amother
Aquamarine

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:16 am
Never heard of it being a source of income. Most ppl I know don't charge for it.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:21 am
There is a notary here in Baltimore who makes house calls all over the state and charges for it. I forgot his rates, but it seems to be his parnassa. Some people will pay for convenience.

essie14

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:30 am
We use a site called https://www.notarize.com/ when we need to notarize a document.
Maybe look into working for them?

ra_mom

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:41 am
Your signature and stamp certifies that the person standing in front of you showed you photo identification proving that they are in fact who they claim to be and that they signed the document in front of you as witness.

It's a good side income in Israel. Advertise. Usually after a while it becomes word of mouth and people know to come to you.

nchr

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:53 am
thunderstorm wrote:
I think you are correct that it needs to be done at the embassy and needs to get a special seal (forgot what it's called) if you are having documents signed and notarized out of the U.S..

Not necessarily true. Sometimes foreign notaries may also notarize documents, which can be authenticated in the US.

Amarante

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 10:49 am
In California, the going rate seems to be $10 per document and it certainly isn't done as a courtesy.

I have had to get a fair number of documents notarized especially with my elderly grandfather who had to keep proving he was alive to collect his various pensions :-).

Mostly in California, they are located at places which offer Fedex or other office types of services. However, when I used to look up notaries, I saw that there are some who travel and those would of course charge more for their travel time.

I don't know if one could make a living but I would imagine that if one establishes oneself, it could be a side income. Perhaps one could advertise to the community in terms of providing services at people's homes.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 10:59 am
IN NY, it's $2 for the notary BUT that's if you do to them. If you are a traveling notary, I think you can charge larger amounts like $50

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 1:13 pm
I am a notary it is most definitely not a side income.
You can charge only $2 per signature and can only charge more for travel or such. But it won't make you much.

watergirl

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 1:19 pm
Where I live (in the States), there is a notary gmach. She is a SAHM and is available day or night at no charge. She also posts PSAs to let people in the community know that a notary should not be charging more than two dollars if they dont travel to you. People try to make extra money this way, it’s not supposed to happen. And banks do it for free as well.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 1:41 pm
You many only have your "notary powers" if you do your work in NY.

http://israellawblog.blogspot......l?m=1

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:05 pm
I think that others may be right - that NY and US law may render your NY notary powers useless outside of NY and in Israel.

Didn't your notary course answer your other questions - how to use the notebook, what the scope of your role is? You're not there to advise on the contents of the documents (that could be the unlicensed practice of law). You're just there to verify the signature. You could notarize a signature on a child's drawing, if that's what you were asked to do.

The notaries in my state who do it as an income are traveling notaries who will come to your house, or law office, to notarize documents.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:34 pm
nchr wrote:
Not necessarily true. Sometimes foreign notaries may also notarize documents, which can be authenticated in the US.

She didn't qualify as an Israeli notary.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics