Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Pls list all the kosher segulas you know to have

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 5:51 am
...happy healthy kids who grow into happy respectful and respectful functional adults. (I know the are no guarantees ).

Some of obvious like be a good parent, send to a good school, daven etc.

Then there is that tefilah for erev Rosh Chodesh Sivan. Anything else you know of? (mo red strings please).

Thank you.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 5:56 am
amother wrote:
...happy healthy kids who grow into happy respectful and respectful functional adults. (I know the are no guarantees ).

IMHO none of those are segulas.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 6:02 am
Depends what you mean by segulas I guess.

Metukah

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 6:05 am
Davenning and more davenning and then some more.

No segula like a few chapters of tehillim.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 6:54 am
Lighting shabbos lecht with 2 additional oil lecht is supposed to be a segula for children talmidei chachamim. Like others have said, tefilla works best. Hatzlocha.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:07 am
amother wrote:

Then there is that tefilah for erev Rosh Chodesh Sivan. Anything else you know of? (mo red strings please).

Thank you.
I agree with imasoftov, those are not segulas. Those are things that every normal/regular person does with their children. Just life really.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:57 am
It's how we define segulos. Segulos in the colloquial sense are "shortcuts". But that doesn't mean that people who look for segulos aren't willing to do the hard work first. Often, people looking for segulos feel that they've exhausted all their other options.

As my Litvish side is dominant, I approach segulos cautiously and critically. I do believe that doing what we are supposed to - having our own relationship with and modeling it for our children is absolutely a segulah. It creates the atmosphere most conducive for the obvious best to happen, which is what I believe people are looking for in a segulah.

OP, may I suggest this: if you engage in a segulah
a. Let it be something you feel is meaningful to do in any case.
b. Do it with meaning. People say parshas hamon as a segulah for parnasah. The real segulah is saying it with the kavanah that parnasah comes totally from Hashem and we are just making hishtadlus because that is His ratzon, and He wired us to enjoy it more that way. (Naama d'chsufa, etc.) So if you say these tefillos for children, do it with full kavanah and know that you are increasing the connection with Hashem that will make it all meaningful.
c. Learn, and learn well, the sugya of understanding unanswered prayers, and that things don't always "work." And that even when we see things not "working" according to our plan, that's our plan, not His.

ETA: Above all, love your children. Regularly endorse your children for being fabulous people. Look for their goodness, even when it's hard to find. Remember that stages pass and they are often necessary for later, beautiful growth.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics