Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Help! I became a Public Notary and don't know what do do!
Previous  1  2

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:44 pm
amother wrote:
I am New York certified but I live in Israel. I got the idea to get certified when I needed a notary and went to a girl in Sanhedria who charged me 100 shekels (30$) to notarize something. I guess American notaries are harder to find in israel so you can charge more. I thought it sounded like an easy side income but I don't get exactly what I do when someone asks me to notarize something...

AFAIK, a NY notary cannot notarize things outside of NY State, and certainly not outside of the US.

https://www.nationalnotary.org.....sions

The notary that you obtained is worthless and, in the case of challenge, will be deemed inauthentic. Sorry. What you needed to do was either go to the US embassy, or get the Israeli equivalent of a notary, then have it legalized / obtain an apostille through Israel.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 4:54 am
amother wrote:
I think that others may be right - that NY and US law may render your NY notary powers useless outside of NY and in Israel.

Didn't your notary course answer your other questions - how to use the notebook, what the scope of your role is? You're not there to advise on the contents of the documents (that could be the unlicensed practice of law). You're just there to verify the signature. You could notarize a signature on a child's drawing, if that's what you were asked to do.

The notaries in my state who do it as an income are traveling notaries who will come to your house, or law office, to notarize documents.

No the test is as easy as a drivers license test thats why I didn't learn anything from it. I am not sure how to use a journal or know which stamp or seal to use on what.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 4:55 am
amother wrote:
AFAIK, a NY notary cannot notarize things outside of NY State, and certainly not outside of the US.

https://www.nationalnotary.org.....sions

The notary that you obtained is worthless and, in the case of challenge, will be deemed inauthentic. Sorry. What you needed to do was either go to the US embassy, or get the Israeli equivalent of a notary, then have it legalized / obtain an apostille through Israel.

My document went through just fine with no issues so I doubt it

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 6:13 am
As others have said, you cannot notarize something in Israel as a New York notary. At least ninety percent of notarized documents never go to court, so you are unlikely to be caught and punished. But it's the risk you take by breaking the law. Certainly if you advertise New York notary services in Israel, you are promoting yourself as acting illegally. Sometimes a notary here will stamp something to help out a friend, but the law is that anything notarized in Israel has to be done at the embassy or a consulate. Sorry you wasted your time getting certified.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics