Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
What to put out for sleeping company?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 6:59 am
I live in a small apartment and am going away this week. My neighbor is making a shalom Zachor and asked if I can have her parents sleep by me which is no problem. .Besides a bottle of water and cups, what else should I leave out? An urn and Coffee? Cake?

simba

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:03 am
An urn with coffee and cake is nice.
Clean Towels
A few fruits

That’s all. Don’t stress it!

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:06 am
simba wrote:
An urn with coffee and cake is nice.
Clean Towels
A few fruits

That’s all. Don’t stress it!

Thanks so much! Last time I had sleeping company was years ago so just want to make sure I am doing the acceptable thing. These people happen to be extremely wealthy but I am not letting myself get intimidated by it!

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:23 am
Nothing... I dunno? Just tell them where the things are in the kitchen if they want a drink.

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:33 am
tea/coffee and fruit. And cake or cookies. Make sure there is fresh milk. Maybe cereal? Extra new toothbrushes in the bathroom is a good idea. Even wealthy people might forget a toothbrush!

If their kids live across the hallway all of this is probably not necessary but nice.

You are so thoughtful.

nchr

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:40 am
A tray with nuts and chocolates?

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:41 am
nchr wrote:
A tray with nuts and chocolates?

I don’t have a covered tray so how would I leave it out overnight?

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:41 am
You're doing a really nice thing. I like to put out plastic cups and plates and paper napkins so they can snack without making a mess. Also, check that you have enough tissues in the bathroom.

amother
Orange

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:48 am
amother wrote:
You're doing a really nice thing. I like to put out plastic cups and plates and paper napkins so they can snack without making a mess. Also, check that you have enough tissues in the bathroom.

Good points! Thanks!!

amother
Scarlet

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 8:03 am
There was a mention of tissues. Also make sure there is enough toilet paper. We once stayed in an empty house in order to be close to the shul where a simcha was being held. Just a few sheets of toilet paper and then we ran out. There was no toilet paper that we could find in any of the other bathrooms so we used tissues and prayed that we wouldn't clog the toilets.

We left right after havdalah.

zaq

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:51 am
THE most essential things are plenty of cut toilet paper or tissues, liquid soap and hand towels in the bathroom, , night light or kosher lamp in the bedroom, and instructions re locking or unlocking the doors or locating creatively placed light switches. Snacks, beverages, toiletries, slippers, sewing kit, sheitel stand, welcome note and all the other amenities of a first-class hotel are extra credit but not worth a hang if you forget the basics.

mommyhood

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 10:48 am
Assuming their daughter is close by and there's an eruv to carry back and forth you really don't need to provide anything. If you have an urn already set up and you want to put out coffee that's great but I would not feel pressured to provide anything other than water.

Aylat

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 2:41 pm
Turn your fridge onto Shabbos mode/ switch off the door light, so that they can have chilled water or milk if they want.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics