Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Flying east

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 5:02 pm
Why is it that planes flying east always depart at such a time as to arrive in the morning local time? You’ve gotten little sleep if any on the plane, and now you’re forced to be up and moving at what’s the middle of the night for you. Physically it’s so hard. Why can’t planes depart early in the morning and arrive at night local time/afternoon your time?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 7:30 pm
It’s called the red eye flight. Book a first class ticket and lay down flat.

I for one don’t want to spend the entire day flying. I would rather fly overnight.

amother
Olive

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 8:18 pm
I always assumed it was to manage air traffic. The later times are reserved for flights coming in from more local origins, which couldn't depart earlier.

simcha2

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 9:20 pm
Most airports don't allow landings during "night" hours. With the time difference going east it makes flights very long. (For example nyc- London is 7 hours flying + 5 hours time difference =12 hours).

So flights don't want to take off when they won't be able to land. (In the above example after midday). Because of potential delays, they don't schedule flights after 9am. Night flight don't have this issue.

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 9:22 pm
simcha2 wrote:
(For example nyc- London is 7 hours flying + 5 hours time difference =12 hours).

That doesn’t seem right...

pesek zman

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 9:33 pm
sequoia wrote:
That doesn’t seem right...

It is. I’ve done it many times. A 7pm out of jfk gets you to London at 7am local time

simcha2

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 9:36 pm
pesek zman wrote:
It is. I’ve done it many times. A 7pm out of jfk gets you to London at 7am local time

But coming back only takes you "three "hours. (8hours flying time, longer because of winds minus the five hour time difference). You take off at 4pm and land in new york at 7pm

sequoia

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 9:37 pm
pesek zman wrote:

Ok. So why not the other way around? I would infinitely prefer it. I can’t sleep on a plane anyway, even the few times I had a first class seat for my parents’ miles. Flying during the day and arriving at my destination 7 pm local time would be great.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:14 am
LOL "take a first class"

pesek zman

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 8:11 am
sequoia wrote:
Ok. So why not the other way around? I would infinitely prefer it. I can’t sleep on a plane anyway, even the few times I had a first class seat for my parents’ miles. Flying during the day and arriving at my destination 7 pm local time would be great.

I can’t sleep on planes either but many, many people can.

animeme

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 8:18 am
I'm guessing there's not so many people who want to be at the airport at 4am.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics