Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Suing board of Ed - is it one time or each year?

momof2kids

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 12:32 pm
Does anyone have experience in suing the board of ed for special needs program?

Is it a one time thing that we sue and the child can continue to go to the same elementary school year after year or does this need to be done each year?

Programs would be YESS, IVDU or Kahal type of school - jewish special ed

cnc

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 12:51 pm
every year.

momof2kids

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 1:19 pm
Thank you - that's not good news

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 1:21 pm
Depends on the award you win. Sometimes you win an award for two or three years (never heard of more than three years). Or you are only awarded for one year and need to do again the following year.

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 1:59 pm
Agreed that it can be different, depending on many things. You can talk to one of the school's you're looking at. They do this all the time, and can give you some guidance as to how things usually work.

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 3:37 pm
even if you are offered a 3 year stipulation,
you still need to go through the process again each year,

the fine print is that the DOE can change things each year, it only locks in the rate, so there's really no advantage to it,
it doesn't even mean your case will settle again, but if it does settle that will be the amount, which isn't great, cuz schools often increase tuition over 3 years

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 8:31 am
Where are you located?

In NJ, most parents I know sue every 2-3 years. I began the process in the summer and finished the following September, so I would have been awarded tuition for that school year and the previous one. But during the trial, my attorney reached a settlement with the BOE that will cover my child for the next five years, until he graduates high school. Obviously the settlement is for a relatively small amount and covers about half of his nominal tuition.

One plus is that I will never have to deal with the school's attorney again.

I would think that the maximum time period would generally be 3 years, because that's how often the CST is supposed to evaluate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)