Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Anyone have multiple kids with ADD?
1  2  3  Next

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 12:44 pm
My oldest was diagnosed in 6th grade. Have a 5th header whose teachers kept recommending evaluation and it’s looking like he has it as well plus my younger DD who has mild anxiety also showing signs. So frustrating and makes me feel like a horrible parent. No it’s not the school because I know the other parents and their kids aren’t on meds or being asked to get evaluated. It’s not parenting because believe me I have considered this and we have strong boundaries and solid parenting skills. Definitely a generic component as my husband is the poster child for ADD though he has not been diagnosed and manages to function well. Just looking for support and to know I am not the only one...

imasinger

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 12:49 pm
You aren't the only one.

amother
Green

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 12:49 pm
It's very common. Don't feel alone and definitely don't feel like a bad parent.

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 12:51 pm
Well we all have HFA if that helps you at all.

Keep telling yourself that G-d knows what He is doing is my best advice.

Tzutzie

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 12:52 pm
I have multiple siblings with adhd. Some officially diagnosed. Some never diagnosed.
My father definitely has adhd but never diagnosed. He is such a wonderful parent because of it. And a very succesful man in his day. Still is. But he's retired now. His simchas hachaim is to be envied.
It runs in his side I'd the family.

You are not a bad parent.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 12:55 pm
Delete

Last edited by amother on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:12 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 1:20 pm
Feels good to hear I am not alone. Medicine helped my oldest so much. BH he is doing really well at school now. His behavior at hone was never an issue. The middle one getting diagnosed now is starting to fall behind at school and becoming a behavior problem at school. He is very difficult at home. I am looking forward to hopefully getting some relief at home as it is chaos right now.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 1:37 pm
There's a very strong genetic component, so honestly it's kind of like your kids having the same eye color. Absolutely no reason to feel guilty, unless you were refusing to acknowledge or treat it. But you're doing what you can, so go Mom!

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 5:00 pm
Bumping up for night mommies.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 5:57 pm
I have ADHD. If you’re a failure as a parent, I guess that makes me a failure as a person?
My son has ADD although I never formally diagnosed him. No point at this time. He doesn’t have the H so no need for medication.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 6:02 pm
My oldest and youngest seem to have the H but not the middle one. Medication doesn’t help with impulsivity and organization just hyperactivity?

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 6:05 pm
amother wrote:
My oldest and youngest seem to have the H but not the middle one. Medication doesn’t help with impulsivity and organization just hyperactivity?

It does help. But as of now he’s just a kid. He can manage without. If as he gets older he will need, then he will get. I only started recently. I have the H as well, the I am predominantly inattentive type. Ironically, the meds actually don’t help much with the H. I am as hyper as ever. But a lot more focused and organized.

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 6:50 pm
Me too. I have 3 children with ADHD. Before they were diagnosed and treated with meds, I felt like a horrible mother and guilty that it's probably my fault. Now I know it's all a "gift from above" and nothing to do with my parenting. And Thank you Hashem for meds.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:48 pm
In my family we were five siblings. One(and only one) with ADD. They absolutely were on meds!!! They didn't make trouble in class, but some teachers were upset with they're doodling, daydreaming, etc., And truthfully, they didn't really gain much education without the focus. This sibling is amazing prrson, but they are scatterbrained

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:55 pm
amother wrote:
Bumping up for night mommies.

That was very nice of you, I for sure would not have seen this otherwise! :-)

I have one kid diagnosed and on meds, another undiagnosed who does not show symptoms at school and will likely not be diagnosed, and one in their own world who may or may not have adhd. Personally, I think this last one has ADHD-inattentive type, minus the adhd!!!

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:51 pm
It's so common.
I used to be a huge fan of meds because in the begining when I gave it to my son I had some rest from the constant hyperactivity arguing and impulsivity.

Then he started becoming depressed and anxious and the switching and trying new meds began. Boy was that a road to go down!

It got to the point that now with my younger one I refuse to medicate. I know how hard it was to get the right med and then the correct dose so I'm not sure the pain was worth the gain. I feel like I messed my older one up.

Maybe I'm just tired. Or maybe I'm sad about the reality. Sorry for my negativity.

amother
Pink

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 11:15 pm
I have a big family and multiple adhd kids
Giving everyone medicine is the first part of our morning routine.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Feb 08 2019, 3:18 am
Another Pink, sad to post this but I dreamed of a large family but really feel that having such chaos in my home has made me unable to parent more kids. Hoping to feel different soon but it’s been 8 years since my last child and as of now this is how I feel.

Edited to correct autocorrect! Meant unable not unstable!

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Feb 08 2019, 5:11 am
amother wrote:
Another Pink, sad to post this but I dreamed of a large family but really feel that having such chaos in my home has made me unstable to parent more kids. Hoping to feel different soon but it’s been 8 years since my last child and as of now this is how I feel.

Feel exactly the same way. I have 2 boys and 1 girl with adhd( big time) im not having any more children because I just cant raise another child with adhd. My brain is fried

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Feb 08 2019, 5:26 am
amother wrote:
Another Pink, sad to post this but I dreamed of a large family but really feel that having such chaos in my home has made me unstable to parent more kids. Hoping to feel different soon but it’s been 8 years since my last child and as of now this is how I feel.

I feel the same. Sad Fried brain here as well.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics