Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Has everyone forgotten there are 2 Adars this year? lol!
Previous  1  2

my mama

Post Tue, Feb 05 2019, 11:55 pm
zaq wrote:
I have a whole extra month in which to liquidate my chometz gamur. Note to self: Doesn't matter if pas yisroel organic gluten-free whole-grain yoga-approved glatt kosher pasta is on sale for ten cents per pound, you are NOT buying any!

Well, if it's gluten free it's not chometz Smile not that it solves your space issue but chometz ain't the problem here

etky

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 12:55 am
my mama wrote:
Well, if it's gluten free it's not chometz Smile not that it solves your space issue but chometz ain't the problem here

But if it's not specifically KLP it still has to be moved out of the pantry to make way for the Pesach food.
BTDT, I also don't have the luxury of sealing up cabinets.
This year I started limiting chametz purchasing from Tu B'Shvat. On a regular year I start after 10 B'Tevet....

imasoftov

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 5:34 am
amother wrote:
All this discussion about MM is making me soooo nervous. Purim is like 6 weeks away. I just absolutely can't think that far ahead. How do you do it?

A segulah for avoiding this is hiding the Purim forum ...

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 12:40 pm
Not so. Chometz is not related to gluten. Only chameshet haminim can be chometz. oats , which are gluten free, are of chameshet haminim and chametzable. Other grains, glutenaceous or not, are not chometzable but may be kitniyot.

The reason celiacs need “certified gluten free” oats is that in processing and transport, oats may acquire traces of gluten-containing grains. This is no problem for gluten-tolerant metabolisms but is a problem for celiacs.

zaq

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 1:05 pm
etky wrote:
But if it's not specifically KLP it still has to be moved out of the pantry to make way for the Pesach food.
BTDT, I also don't have the luxury of sealing up cabinets.
This year I started limiting chametz purchasing from Tu B'Shvat. On a regular year I start after 10 B'Tevet....

Wow, you do plan ahead!

etky

Post Wed, Feb 06 2019, 4:29 pm
zaq wrote:
Wow, you do plan ahead!

not really Smile
It's the only thing I do well in advance. The actual cleaning only starts after Purim and cooking just a few days before Leyl HaSeder.
I just don't want to be stuck with lots of chametz before the chag since we don't sell chametz gamur and the less non-pesadig food + kitniyot that have to be transfered out of the kitchen the better. We basically 'eat down' the pantry and freezer as much as possible, which I think is a good idea anyway. After Pesach we stock up again and everything is nice and fresh.

dankbar

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 5:35 pm
How much are you people stocking up at once? Dont have room, but you have food for 2 months?

etky

Post Fri, Feb 08 2019, 4:19 am
dankbar wrote:
How much are you people stocking up at once? Dont have room, but you have food for 2 months?

I don't believe in 'stocking up' beyond a few staples like flour, sugar, rice, pasta of which I will usually keep a kilo in reserve in case I run out before my weekly run to the supermarket.
I live in Israel where buying in bulk is not a thing (no Costco here...) and typicallly people do not have garages and basements so space is at a premium.

What I meant about 'eating down the pantry' is that about 2 months before Pesach is when I no longer automatically apply the equation of running out = replacing a food item. We do not sell chametz gamur so I give thought to the question of actually finishing something up before the chag.

For example: I just ran out of soy sauce. I did not replace it because I do have a large bottle of the low sodium type - probably enough to last me to Pesach - and I will just use that instead.
Or, I am nearing the end of my supply of semolina flour which I use in my pizza dough.
Instead of buying another kilo now -which I know I will not use up before Pesach, I will just finish what I have and when it is gone I will use a different recipe that just calls for regular flour.
I will also make a conscious effort now to bake with recipes that call for the cake flour that I haven't used in a while.
DD made a cake for a school party this week and used the box of cake mix that I keep around for emergencies. I did not replace it. Now, if she needs a quick cake she will have to make one from scratch with the ingredients that we have on hand.

Or, instead of buying a kilo of pearl barley now, I will, at this point buy the smaller half-kilo bag. If I run out before the chag I will make a dish that utilizes something else, like quinoa or kasha or other kitniyot and can be kept. I do though try to finish those items too if we can, to keep my supply fresh and to have fewer containters to move out of the kitchen.

The months before Pesach are actually my most creative period in the kitchen. I dig out all those less-used ingredients that I might have purchased during the year in the hope of trying out a new recipe and actually make the recipe.
Last year I made home-made ice cream with the soon-to-expire can of evaporated milk that I had in the pantry instead of buying a new container of the commercial stuff. It was delicious!

amother
Linen

Post Fri, Feb 08 2019, 1:52 pm
dankbar wrote:

Nonperishables? Probably. Right now my pantry holds three packages lokshen, three and a half packages pasta, five pounds each sugar and flour, four cans sardines, six cans tuna, eight cans tomato sauce, two jars salsa, two large cans crushed tomatoes, two cans pineapple, four cans mushrooms, two cans each corn and pumpkin, one can each pickles, olives, and hearts of palm, at least five pounds dried legumes of various sorts, one box matzah (“really” pesachdik but stored in a chomeyzdik container), two cans salmon, two or three cans baked beans, one bag Craisins, one bag raisins, plus assorted add-ons like coffee, tea, cocoa, honey, condiments, oil, vinegar and so on.

Right now I’m buying mostly perishables unless I really need to replenish something. Like today I bought coffee because I use it daily at home and at work, we’’ve been out of it for a while and it was on sale. Cold cereal was on sale but I passed it up. We’re eating mostly hot cereal now. When we use up what we have now, I’ll get creative and start having pasta or barley for breakfast. The cold cereal we have will be consumed during that transitional phase when we eat in the hall outside the kitchen and cook in the microwave only. There’s not much of it, enough for a week or week and a half, that’s all.

Fortunately quite a few of the canned items are KLP so no need to liquidate those. The shredded cheese , ground nuts and fish in the freezer are also KLP so they also don’t have to be used up.

Between then and now I will use up the flour by baking and if necessary, making pancakes. Any excess chomeyzdik MM will be brought to work, where they will vanish. They would disappear nearly as fast at home, which is why they’ll go to work.

We’re two people so yeh, that should last two months, easy. Probably longer.

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Feb 08 2019, 2:21 pm
too many bored housewives.

amother
Lavender

Post Fri, Feb 08 2019, 4:32 pm
amother wrote:
too many bored housewives.

Or maybe some really organized working moms

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 7:56 pm
Most stuff from your lists is not chometz. Besides for pasta

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:16 pm
dankbar wrote:
Most stuff from your lists is not chometz. Besides for pasta

I never said it was. Amother asked if people have 2 months’ worth of food in the pantry and I proved that I have. Like many people, I have no spare kitchen cabinet for Pesach so I have to clear out whatever is in stock to make room for Pesach goods, the way retail stores hold clearance sales on the previous season’s stock to make room for the new season’s merchandise. If I had the luxury of a Pesach kitchen or even just a Pesach pantry, all that could stay put, but things being as they are, it can’t. The less I have around just before Pesach the less I have to find a place for. Hard enough to find a place for the dishes and pots and pans.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics