Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Speeding ticket in si- help please!

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 4:43 pm
I got a big ticket speeding in Staten Island Exploding anger -. I never speed! I was going down Hill and didn't realize and the cop was sitting at the bottom of the hill waiting to get me! Anyone know who I can contact to help me fight it or lower it so I won't get points on my license?? Any help would be appreciated!!! Exploding anger At wits end

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 9:11 pm
Bump

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Aug 02 2018, 11:57 pm
Good luck. I got a ticket for an unsafe turn (mind you not illegal) a few weeks ago. Spoke to a few people who said staten island is the hardest place to fight tickets in New York state.

amother
Orchid

Post Fri, Aug 03 2018, 12:30 am
Oh gosh! Thanks for the input! I'm driving close to twenty years and have a clean record I thought the cop would be nice but apparently not Exploding anger

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 6:26 pm
amother wrote:
Oh gosh! Thanks for the input! I'm driving close to twenty years and have a clean record I thought the cop would be nice but apparently not Exploding anger

Any update on this ? I have the same situation. Who did you call?

amother
Amber

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:08 pm
I use Zev Goldstein in Monsey.
I think he does the city also but not sure.
Worth a call.
I don't have his number on hand but you could Google him.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:19 pm
amother wrote:
I use Zev Goldstein in Monsey.
I think he does the city also but not sure.
Worth a call.
I don't have his number on hand but you could Google him.

Thanks so much. From what I hear Staten Island is brutal. I would prefer someone that has experience specifically with their court system. Anyone hear of wefighttickets.com?

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:43 pm
Good luck.
Staten Island is the worst.
We got a ticket for driving 15-20 miles over. We ended up delaying the court date (hired a lawyer) so that the points had expired by the time the case was even taken up. We paid a fine. (And the lawyer.)

esther36

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:46 pm
Hi I'm the op of this thread. My cousin who has experience with tickets in staten Island recommended this lawyer to me. I used them and they were a pleasure to deal with. They're based in staten island and know the judges there... In general though the judges in staten island are known to be really tough:(
The lawyers will push off the court date for u and deal with all the logistics definitely worthwhile in the long run...

Lawyer In Staten Island
(718) 793-1900

esther36

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:49 pm
amother wrote:
Good luck.
Staten Island is the worst.
We got a ticket for driving 15-20 miles over. We ended up delaying the court date (hired a lawyer) so that the points had expired by the time the case was even taken up. We paid a fine. (And the lawyer.)

That's exactly what I am hoping and praying for!!! Cuz mine was 21 over and it will cost me$600 in fines plus points on insurance... So by lawyers helping me I will hopefully avoid the points on insurance and the added expenses that causes... I will hopefully only need to pay lawyers fees and smaller fine if they can negotiate....

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:56 pm
esther36 wrote:
That's exactly what I am hoping and praying for!!! Cuz mine was 21 over and it will cost me$600 in fines plus points on insurance... So by lawyers helping me I will hopefully avoid the points on insurance and the added expenses that causes... I will hopefully only need to pay lawyers fees and smaller fine if they can negotiate....

Someone I contacted about this informed me that the 5 boroughs do not have an option for a plea bargain. It’s either dismissed or guilty:-(. I was hoping for an option of no points and reduced fines... I’m just confused by the whole thing. Mine was not a speeding ticket. It was a HOV violation as I only had 1 additional passenger.

doctorima

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 7:57 pm
NYC tickets can't be negotiated - it's either guilty or not guilty, and in SI, 98% of the time it's guilty. Before spending money on a lawyer, if your goal is just to push it off to avoid the points, you should first check and see if you can do this yourself.

Go to the DMV website with the ticket # and your license #, and click to plead not guilty and see what trial dates they offer you. Many times, they will be a year down the line because they're so backed up. And you're allowed to postpone each trial once, so if the scheduled date is that far off, wait until 2 weeks before and then choose to delay it.

Typically, the date they will offer you will then be another year down the line, by which point the points will have expired. At any point along the way, you can always hire a lawyer to take over, so unless they're giving you a close-in trial date, that's how I'd play it to save the lawyer's fee, when they likely can't beat it either, and you can beat the points yourself.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 8:16 pm
[quote="doctorima"]NYC tickets can't be negotiated - it's either guilty or not guilty, and in SI, 98% of the time it's guilty. Before spending money on a lawyer, if your goal is just to push it off to avoid the points, you should first check and see if you can do this yourself.

Go to the DMV website with the ticket # and your license #, and click to plead not guilty and see what trial dates they offer you. Many times, they will be a year down the line because they're so backed up. And you're allowed to postpone each trial once, so if the scheduled date is that far off, wait until 2 weeks before and then choose to delay it.

Typically, the date they will offer you will then be another year down the line, by which point the points will have expired. At any point along the way, you can always hire a lawyer to take over, so unless they're giving you a close-in trial date, that's how I'd play it to save the lawyer's fee, when they likely can't beat it either, and you can beat the points yourself.[/

Thank you!! This was very helpful. I’m going to look into going this route. Have you ever done it? I can’t believe that the rate of guilty charge is 98%!! Do all cops appear at every court date ?

doctorima

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:19 pm
BA"H I've never gotten a speeding ticket in SI, but at a defensive driving class I took recently to reduce my insurance, the (frum) instructor said that it's almost impossible to win in SI. I believe he said the cops win 98% there; if not, something close to it.

For tickets in Brooklyn, my experience has been as I wrote, that you can easily shlep it out for about 2 years on your own. I once had a cop not show up, and the judge simply rescheduled it for another year down the line, but wouldn't dismiss the charges, so don't count on that. Good luck!

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:41 pm
I feel for you...I also got a ticket in Staten Island and was told by a lawyer not to even bother fighting it - you’re wasting your time and your money...I’ve heard that the judge has an 87 percent conviction rate and it’s practically impossible to win. Now I am extremely careful when driving in Staten Island not to speed or touch my phone...

Cheiny

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:50 pm
amother wrote:
I feel for you...I also got a ticket in Staten Island and was told by a lawyer not to even bother fighting it - you’re wasting your time and your money...I’ve heard that the judge has an 87 percent conviction rate and it’s practically impossible to win. Now I am extremely careful when driving in Staten Island not to speed or touch my phone...

I would hope people would make sure not to speed or touch their phones in any borough they’re driving in! Today I saw a frum woman in a very expensive SUV driving and holding a phone up to her ear...is it that difficult to use the Bluetooth???

amother
Ginger

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:57 pm
Of course I use Bluetooth - I mean touching the phone to unlock it or to dial... And even if you don’t mean to speed, if you’re not paying careful attention to your exact speed it’s easy to accidentally go a few miles over the limit.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics