Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Touro College scholarship for girls

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:34 pm
What would be considered a good scholarship for Touro college for a girl? I know girl and boy amounts differ. Talking about Touro Brooklyn but hearing about Manhattan is good too.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:51 pm
I’m not sure what you mean by this. Many years ago, I attended Touro on a full “free ride” four year academic scholarship. And I’m a girl

Eselle13

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:53 pm
For an academic scholarship, I think about half of a full 12 credit semester is pretty typical (not counting labs or extra fees) that's how it was 4 years ago.

It's about $3500 I think

amother
Babypink

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 9:57 pm
My sister got $13,500 for being in the honors program. I got $13,500 a while back, before the general honors program was opened and tuition was $15k as opposed to $18k. But I got 1480 on the first two sections of the SAT, and I didn't bother to retake it for 20 more points for the full scholarship, since the last $1,500 was covered by the NYS Regents scholarship. My sister got a 1380. Both of us had 98/99 GPAs in high school.

I know people who did significantly worse than us on the SAT who got a 50% academic scholarship.

To the pp, things have changed a lot in Touro since many years ago. What were the considerations towards a full scholarship back then?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Feb 08 2019, 3:06 am
Touro on AVE J? If I recall right I got about 6,000 a semester about 10 years ago or so. I got above a 1900 on the SAT. Maybe closer to 2000? I also had As in high school. I basically paid lab fees, for taking above 18 credits, or other extra costs.
No honors program then...

What do you mean there were different scholarships for boys vs girls? How is that legal?

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:08 am
amother wrote:
My sister got $13,500 for being in the honors program. I got $13,500 a while back, before the general honors program was opened and tuition was $15k as opposed to $18k. But I got 1480 on the first two sections of the SAT, and I didn't bother to retake it for 20 more points for the full scholarship, since the last $1,500 was covered by the NYS Regents scholarship. My sister got a 1380. Both of us had 98/99 GPAs in high school.

I know people who did significantly worse than us on the SAT who got a 50% academic scholarship.

To the pp, things have changed a lot in Touro since many years ago. What were the considerations towards a full scholarship back then?

what is the honors program and when did it start?
What did you major in and what field do you work in?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:39 am
amother wrote:
Touro on AVE J? If I recall right I got about 6,000 a semester about 10 years ago or so. I got above a 1900 on the SAT. Maybe closer to 2000? I also had As in high school. I basically paid lab fees, for taking above 18 credits, or other extra costs.
No honors program then...

What do you mean there were different scholarships for boys vs girls? How is that legal?

The another who got 1480 was out of 1600. Your 1900 was out of 2400. However, 1480 seems high for touro IMO. I got a 1560 and went to Cornell. The SAT is back to 1600.

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:51 am
amother wrote:
The another who got 1480 was out of 1600. Your 1900 was out of 2400. However, 1480 seems high for touro IMO. I got a 1550 and went to Cornell.

I also got a 1480 and went to touro... Know someone w a perfect score at Touro... Some ppl want to be in frum environment

amother
Lilac

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 8:02 am
amother wrote:
I also got a 1480 and went to touro... Know someone w a perfect score at Touro... Some ppl want to be in frum environment

Yes. And these students often get offered good scholarships in order to encourage them to come to Touro vs the other possibilities they have.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 8:12 am
amother wrote:

And not Stern? The degrees very limited at Touro...even Stern lacks a lot of degrees. However, I do understand your point. Weren't you limited with regards to grad programs?

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 8:27 am
amother wrote:
And not Stern? The degrees very limited at Touro...even Stern lacks a lot of degrees. However, I do understand your point. Weren't you limited with regards to grad programs?

Stern didn't offer me full scholarship and Touro did.

No limit at grad school level. I got a perfect score on my GREs. Plenty of girls in my cohort in medical school or excellent PhD programs but most chose dentistry or lawyer or things that work better for young families.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 8:40 am
amother wrote:
Stern didn't offer me full scholarship and Touro did.

No limit at grad school level. I got a perfect score on my GREs. Plenty of girls in my cohort in medical school or excellent PhD programs but most chose dentistry or lawyer or things that work better for young families.

Do you feel that if your school (Touro) had offered other majors you may have been interested in other subjects areas or did you go to college knowing specifically what you wanted to become? Do you feel like you were given, in college as well as high school, enough information about all of the majors out there to decide to forgo a certain major to be in a frum school?

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 8:58 am
amother wrote:
Do you feel that if your school (Touro) had offered other majors you may have been interested in other subjects areas or did you go to college knowing specifically what you wanted to become? Do you feel like you were given, in college as well as high school, enough information about all of the majors out there to decide to forgo a certain major to be in a frum school?

Touro offers all the basic majors. You can minor in almost anything, and if you make relationships, you can make your own minor or major under some circumstances.

I didn't know what I wanted to become, but I am very satisfied with my experience and my choices in Touro. I don't think I missed anything. I had political interests and there were plenty of opportunities once I let people know that.

I was very glad to be in a frum environment. I enjoyed my Judaic studies classes and being close friends with classmates. I missed that easy congeniality in graduate school.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics