Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
I found this website...

gonnaBaDesigner

Post Wed, Oct 24 2007, 3:05 pm
I found this website that you can get licensed to become a teacher of this specific program of teaching children. It's called imaginetomorrow.com. I think this would be good for someone to start this approach in the frum schools (ages 2-7). It's an after school program that helps children develop different skills. I'm thinking of doing it myself - not starting up a program, but joining one that already exists here in brooklyn. Check out their website.

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 10:01 am
I went there and this program is not at all suited for frum schools. I would not implement it in a PS either. They are amazed that 3-4 yr olds can download files? That's their educational goal? Put him in a room with people using a computer often and he'll learn it naturally like language and cultural norms. Definitely no sense in wasting class time on it.

There is an age for each skill that a child is best suited. To learn how to use a computer one can learn at 3, 13, 23 or 33. The absolute best time to learn to read is between 3-5. All use of passive learning material at that age reduces motivation and attention span. It has been thoroughly proven. A curriculum that uses learning software for kids w/o LD or such is basically not effective and can slow development of important cognitive skills.

There is great confusion today between education and gathering knowledge. My computer is full of knowledge but the only cognitive function it can perform is to distinguish whether a circuit is on or off. A child can be very tech savvy unable to do his homework if their is an electrical outtage. There are many cognitive and computational skills that won't be obtained if computers are introduced too early.

In a frum school you have the additional problem that a child who cannot sit for a reasonable amount of time spent expending cognitive energy in front of a printed book in small Rashi print will be a failure in learniong Torah.

I am sure people will pay for courses and a few schools mayl even give this a try. I am equally sure it will join a long list of methods that brought promising initial results and set the students lacking in the long run.

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 10:23 am
Reading their site more closely, it seems that they may be Adlerian influenced as well. They have parent testimonials. Well parents are VERY impressed when their child knows more than they do about the computer. They do not know how to set educational goals as they are not professional. Internet independence at that age is not advisable either for many reasons. Kids who have have BTDT in everything at a young age also need to increase their stimulation level not to be bored.

What did you see in this program to recommend it?

gonnaBaDesigner

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 10:45 am
I just heard about them and thought that maybe it could be brought to the frum schools. Now that you explained it a little more, I understand why this system isn't incorporated within the frum schools. Thanks for clearing this up.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 10:50 am
What happened to the gonnabedesigner? You siound very ambitious

gonnaBaDesigner

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 5:43 pm
Thanks for the compliment. I want to try and help the frum community as much as I can, but if it's inappropriate, then so be it. There's always something else to help with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics