Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Moving 1.5 yr old in with the kids

chaniej

Post Sat, Feb 09 2019, 5:08 pm
Anyone have any tips on moving my 1.5 year old in with my other kids? 4 and 5 year old?
I generally put the baby to sleep at 6:30 (in my room) and the others to sleep at 7:15 but the baby has not been cooperating so well lately. I also don't trust the older ones to be quiet when they come in. All ideas including bribing welcome Very Happy

SRB

Post Sat, Feb 09 2019, 11:47 pm
No advice here, sorry- I'm in the same situation and need good guidance!

Last edited by SRB on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Olive

Post Sat, Feb 09 2019, 11:54 pm
I find my bigger kids stay quieter when I put on a story tape for them to listen to at bedtime. I don't know if your baby would sleep through that or not...

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 12:02 am
So sorry, all I can offer is the sage advice to be patient.

There is no way to avoid rough nights till everyone gets comfortable with the new status quo. You will have to remind, encourage, and beg older kids to be quiet when going into the room. You will need to gently point out that they woke baby up by not listening, and demonstrate many times how it's hard to get baby to go back to sleep and they need to be quiet to avoid that. You can practice tiptoeing and whispering and avoiding the creaky spots in the floor, you can oil the hinges so the door doesn't squeak, and give them an alternate way to get your attention if they need you, instead of yelling (call button?).

You can get a noise machine and put it next to baby's crib, and set up the crib so that the light from the hallway will rarely reach it, even with the door open. You can set things up so that the crib is not near dressers that will need opening or closets that will be rummaged through. You can put a rug on the floor to mask sounds further, if you don't have a carpet in that room.

If they wake up the baby, which they will inevitably do quite a number of times, you can tell them that Mommy wants to read you a book, sing you a song, rub your back etc. but has to put baby back to sleep first. Next time let's go into bed so quietly so baby will stay asleep.

You can make a sticker chart for every night that we help keep baby asleep, or promise a treat every morning for the same.

But if you are expecting a smooth transition, let that dream fly off into the nighttime heavens. I've never had it go without hiccups for a few weeks. But maybe you will in fact experience a miracle! Good luck!

chaniej

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 12:05 am
Thanks for the advice!

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 12:11 am
I moved my almost 2 year old in with my 4 year old and the most successful way was to put them in awake but very tired (half hour past bed time) first few nights it was exciting and hard to fall asleep but after that they started falling asleep pretty much right away. Mornings are very nice, my 4 year old used to come wake me, now they play nicely for a little before she comes for me

chaniej

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 12:26 am
That's really sweet.

I was thinking of waiting longer until baby is older and can enjoy the hype a bit more. Do others find there is a good age to do the move?

westchestermom

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:17 pm
I moved mine as soon as she could fight for herself if the big one rolled over on her in the night. They wanted the beds pushed together.

chaniej

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 4:51 pm
Lol.
Bumping this up to hear if others have more input...

Ruchel

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 6:24 am
Move as soon as possible, expect a few nights adaptation. I never put anyone to sleep in my bed at night

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 2:05 pm
Originally I put my 1.5 year old with her sisters and it took a few days maybe a week until they all learned to sleep through eachother. It worked for a while but then we regressed.. so now the ones that go to sleep later go to sleep in my bed and then they get moved once they're sleeping so there's no noise in there. Not great but everyone goes to sleep and to me that's the most important!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics