Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Tri state area house under 500k
1  2  3  Next

amother
Aubergine

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:30 am
Where can I find a house for under 500k with a one hr commute but tops tops a 1.5 hr commute to Wall Street. House should have at least three bedrooms, ideally four. Can be in a newer area but elementary school should be under a half hour drive. I would describe us as middle of the road yeshivish. Dh did a few years of full time kolllel then kollel/college and is now a cpa.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:30 am
Jackson, NJ?

out-of-towner

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:37 am
That's a tall order! Possibly Bayswater but I don't know what the market there is currently like, and if you do find a house for that price it may not be on the most Frum populated block.

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:37 am
Edison/Highland Park NJ

amother
Black

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 9:20 am
Clifton
Parts of monsey

esther11

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 9:27 am
Oceanside, NY

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:28 am
esther11 wrote:
Oceanside, NY

Is there a yeshivish community there? I'd love to hear details!

ez-pass

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:32 am
Part of Monsey definitely

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:32 am
You probably think you can't afford Lakewood but if its something you would want, I bought a new construction very jewish house for 500 a few years back. Would be more like 550 now but I have basement income . My mortgage is 2900. I pay 1700 tenant pays 1200. Worth it to consider in my opinion. 6 bedrooms, huge kosher kitchen etc.. all the things a frum family can need or want in a house

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:36 am
amother wrote:
You probably think you can't afford Lakewood but if its something you would want, I bought a new construction very jewish house for 500 a few years back. Would be more like 550 now but I have basement income . My mortgage is 2900. I pay 1700 tenant pays 1200. Worth it to consider in my opinion. 6 bedrooms, huge kosher kitchen etc.. all the things a frum family can need or want in a house

I did the same in Monsey. Except my tenant pays 1700 and my mortgage is 3300. I also have 5 huge bedrooms and a very nice sized house (over 3,000 SQ) . New construction.

doctorima

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:52 am
There used to be parts of Staten Island that would qualify, but I know real estate there has gone up quite a bit in the past couple years. It would obviously be a much shorter commute than central NJ. The areas around Willowbrook like Manor Heights may be out of your budget, but perhaps Eltingville is doable. Definitely worth a look.

nchr

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:58 am
New Hempstead & Pomona

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 11:32 am
amother wrote:

You are right that Lakewood housing is cheap but please keep in mind that you need to get your kids into schools and that can be quite difficult to put it mildly

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 12:16 pm
Jackson nj- next door to Lakewood

Even in Lakewood there are small 3 bedroom homes for under 300,000 - bigger ones right outside of Lakewood
Very decent sized 4 bedroom homes in Lakewood in the 4’s

What about south fallsburg?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 12:31 pm
amother wrote:
You are right that Lakewood housing is cheap but please keep in mind that you need to get your kids into schools and that can be quite difficult to put it mildly

Dont want to derail the thread but I want to quickly address this . I grew up in Lakewood and went to bais faiga. I got married at 22 so most of my friends were going thru the "getting into school torture" before me. I'm a very practical person without money or yichus and I wasnt looking to torture myself, my husband or my child. All schools in Lakewood are good schools . I applied to 2 new schools and without pulling string, bribing etc I got into a school. I was in my mid/end October. I knew the schools I was applying to had space and were accepting parents who frumkiet wise fell into a similar category to DH and I.... just food for thought ...

doctorima

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 12:46 pm
amother wrote:
What about south fallsburg?

OP needs a 1-1.5 hour commute to Wall Street. Fallsburg's not going to work.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 12:50 pm
amother wrote:
Dont want to derail the thread but I want to quickly address this . I grew up in Lakewood and went to bais faiga. I got married at 22 so most of my friends were going thru the "getting into school torture" before me. I'm a very practical person without money or yichus and I wasnt looking to torture myself, my husband or my child. All schools in Lakewood are good schools . I applied to 2 new schools and without pulling string, bribing etc I got into a school. I was in my mid/end October. I knew the schools I was applying to had space and were accepting parents who frumkiet wise fell into a similar category to DH and I.... just food for thought ...

the key difference between you and her is it sounds like you were trying to get your child into primary. I'm assuming that the OP has children in upper grades and that it's very difficult to get your child into a school

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 12:56 pm
amother wrote:
the key difference between you and her is it sounds like you were trying to get your child into primary. I'm assuming that the OP has children in upper grades and that it's very difficult to get your child into a school

True. Also boys are easier than girls..

Sebastian

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 12:59 pm
Lakewood is not an hour to Manhattan. Maybe Passaic or Bayswater or parts of LI.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 4:14 pm
Dexter Park or Spring Hill areas in Chestnut Ridge (right near Monsey)

https://www.zillow.com/homes/f.....4_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/f.....4_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/f.....3_zm/

https://www.zillow.com/homes/f.....5_zm/
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating