Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yehudis

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 3:50 pm
Does the name Yehudis work in EY? I really don't want the name to be turned into "yehuDEET." No offense to any with that name. I know a couple of people named Yehudis, but I don't feel like I know them well enough to ask if they get called the Israeli pronunciation all the time.

Also, is it weird that my DH is named Yonatan? (not really but something like that) I mean would it be super weird to have a "tav" and a "sav" in the same family?

essie14

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 4:08 pm
It will become YehuDEET by every Hebrew speaker. All your neighbors, all your daughter's teachers, all her friends in school, every doctor, every gov office,etc, etc.

You might be able to convince your Anglo friends to call her Yehudis but I really don't think it will stick.

No Israelis that I know of call their kids names with a "sav".

Ruchel

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 4:17 pm
Charedi will get it esp if you explain

amother
Sienna

Post Thu, Feb 07 2019, 4:56 pm
amother wrote:
Does the name Yehudis work in EY? I really don't want the name to be turned into "yehuDEET." No offense to any with that name. I know a couple of people named Yehudis, but I don't feel like I know them well enough to ask if they get called the Israeli pronunciation all the time.

Also, is it weird that my DH is named Yonatan? (not really but something like that) I mean would it be super weird to have a "tav" and a "sav" in the same family?

I have a niece named Bas-sheva. Only her parents call her that. Everyone else, including her siblings, call her Bat-sheva (and she's the oldest!). That's how it works in Israel.

And yes...IMO it would b super weird to have a "tav" and "sav" in the same family. It's not going to last very long.

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Feb 09 2019, 7:10 pm
The Israelis will all call her Yu-deet.

I love the name Yehudis but gave it as a second name for this reason.

etky

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 12:35 am
amother wrote:
The Israelis will all call her Yu-deet.

I love the name Yehudis but gave it as a second name for this reason.

That was true at one time but I've noticed that lately there are plenty of Ye-hoo-DEETs - the name fully articulated and with the accent on the last syllable.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:53 am
My daughter is yehudis, we live in israel, everyone besides immediate family calls her ye-hu-deet. I'm fine with it, so is she.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names