Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Don't kids in shorts get skinned knees and dirty?
1  2  Next

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 7:28 am
Why are shorts so popular? Don't kids in shorts get dirtier? And skinned knees?
We have a park down the block with wood chips as the floor. If my kids wore shorts they'd be filthy in seconds. When they wear long pants, we come home, take off the pants, and change. No need to wash anything but the hands.
Or am I OCD?

oneofakind

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 7:30 am
Aren't kids allowed to be dirty especially in the summer? Changing is for bath/bedtime unless something major spilled on them.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 7:31 am
So? You wipe their legs when they come inside & give them a bath at the end of the day. A little dirt is healthy. Kids don't need to be sterile.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:05 am
That's why my boys never liked wearing shorts once they were old enough to have an opinion. They said their knees get scraped and hurt.
I don't care much about them getting dirty but I did feel bad seeing those bloody knees.

studying_torah

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:08 am
Or they tear the long pants.... there's no winning Wink

forever21

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:10 am
Who cares if they get dirty ? Whether they wear pants or shorts it’s all going in the hamper anyway right ?
As far as skinned knees , what’s the alternative ? Wear pants in 85 deg weather ??

icebreaker

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:13 am
Dirt and skinned knees are a part of childhood. I got skinned knees in my skirts and stockings too.

pesek zman

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:14 am
My child came with washing instructions: use soap and water. Repeat as needed

amother
Green

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:25 am
Once my kids crawled or walked, I never dressed them in short shorts; their knees are too exposed and they can get hurt more easily. Those styles look adorable but I wanted to protect my kids so that they could comfortably run around and have fun.
And if their long pants or over the knee pants tear when playing, well then imagine how injured they could have gotten had the material not been there to create a buffer.

bigsis144

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:25 am
My kids are sensitive to heat and greatly prefer wearing shorts in the summer.

Last week we had a freak February day in the 70s and they both changed into shorts when they got home from school!

My oldest son was very upset when we moved and his school dress code forbade shorts - in September/October and April-June it can be pretty hot and humid where we live.

Yes, their knees and shins get dirty and banged up from climbing trees and falling off of bikes, but that’s childhood! Summer clothes especially are kind of disposable... 😅

amother
Honeydew

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:28 am
Last I checked, kids are supposed to get dirty and skin their knees. That's what soap, water, and bandaids are for. Also, I never knew pants could prevent getting dirty and skinning knees. Doesn't seem to work for my kids. At least if they get a skinned knee when wearing shorts, the shorts come out of it unharmed. Not so with pants.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:31 am
My DS decided from a pretty early age that he doesn't like shorts because his legs get too banged up. I respect that, even though it's very hot where we live and all the boys wear shorts. But on my end I was always fine with it. When kids come home dirty they go straight in the shower, unless they're running right back out.

watergirl

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:33 am
OP, you may benefit from this very important parenting book. It’s called “The Blessing of a Skinned Knee”.

The Blessing Of A Skinned Knee: Using Timeless Teachings to Raise Self-Reliant Children https://www.amazon.com/dp/1416.....2E3XR

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:40 am
I don't know, to me it seems that if there's a way to prevent skinned knees, why not do it?

Fabulous

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:42 am
When they do things where it is more likely they will fall, I do put in long like often riding bikes etc. but when regular playing, let them be cool

ectomorph

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:57 am
Talk about overprotective parenting!!!

yes they get skinned knees... Whats the big deal!

pesek zman

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:57 am
amother wrote:
I don't know, to me it seems that if there's a way to prevent skinned knees, why not do it?

I’m all for preventing injury. When my child climbs to the top of the monkey bars, I picture her falling and having a elbow fracture that will seriously affect our day to day routine. I don’t even let her have a scooter for that reason. (And I recognize that even this rule is unusual but I work in peds ortho and see scooter injuries all the time) But skinned knees are not the same. His/your life won’t be impacted by skinned knees. It’ll hurt for a short time. If that. And he’ll learn that when things hurt they also stop hurting. And life goes on

dak11

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 9:12 am
I don't put shorts on my kids until they can walk pretty steady about age 3. My boys wore pants and my girls wore capri length leggings in the summer. I agree with the op. Imagine your 1 year old who just learned how to walk is toddling down the sidewalk and then falls and scrapes his knee if the knee is covered it's no big deal.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 9:13 am
My kids wear crawling pants till they walk steady.

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 9:17 am
Knees are easier to clean than light colored pants!! For an unsteady kid I would put on a pair of denim heavy overalls over his outfit when playing outside.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics