Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
What to wear to Lakewood wedding (Fountain Ballroom)?
1  2  Next

icedcoffee

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 1:33 pm
I've never been to a wedding in Lakewood and I want to make sure I blend in. Can someone give me a general guide of what's expected here - cocktail dresses? Floor length? Colorful, or dark colors? I'm thinking this dress - is it too much?

https://static.poshare.com/img......jpeg

Thanks Smile

Amelia Bedelia

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 1:35 pm
What's your relationship? IMO too elegant unless you're close family. Friends, acquaintances, and even cousins, etc. would wear regular Shabbos clothes, maybe a bit dressier than regular Shabbos.

icedcoffee

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 1:40 pm
Thank you, that's very helpful! I'm just an acquaintance. I'll look through my closet.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 1:41 pm
black, black, black! lol!

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 1:52 pm
it depends what type.of pple are getting married. There are tons of out of town weddings here too. So all depends...if yeshivish wedding , I would stick to black, although or just no flashy colors.

sky

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 1:56 pm
As much as I hate to say it. Black anything - short dress or suit or outfit are all appropriate. A bit of a nicer Shabbos outfit.
Color is definetly acceptable and there is nothing wrong with it and people will wear it but black will blend in the most.

Notsobusy

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 1:58 pm
Most people wear dressier than regular Shabbos, but floor length is usually reserved for family/very close friends.

As the previous poster said, it really depends on who's getting married, not on where the wedding is. Besides, I've been to a lot of very yeshivish weddings where there are friends and relatives who wear colors or flashier clothing. I'm not the type who cares about fitting in, so I think you can wear whatever you would normally wear. But if you care to fit in then something dressy and black Smile

I would say the only real guideline is to be respectful as far as tznius, don't wear something low cut or very short etc. Other than that you can wear whatever you would usually wear.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 1:59 pm
Little black dress/outfit but with great costume jewelry and fun shoes, maybe in a bright color. You'll blend in and you can go either way in terms of dressiness.

icedcoffee

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 1:59 pm
I really appreciate all the responses, thank you!

tigerwife

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 2:41 pm
Honestly, you can wear whatever color you want. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a truly all black wedding in Brooklyn or Lakewood. Long dresses are reserved for close family and friends, though.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 2:47 pm
icedcoffee wrote:
I've never been to a wedding in Lakewood and I want to make sure I blend in. Can someone give me a general guide of what's expected here - cocktail dresses? Floor length? Colorful, or dark colors? I'm thinking this dress - is it too much?

Thanks Smile

I agree with what all the other posters have said about black/Shabbos clothing but the dress you chose is nice so maybe buy it for another future Simcha. 😊

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 3:06 pm
I have the dress you posted. Agree it is too fancy for this Simcha but it is a great dress!!

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 3:22 pm
Everyone in Lakewood wears black to a wedding? How morbid.

(I'm yeshivish too, and don't see only black at weddings at all. Though I don't live in Lakewood.)

amother
Lilac

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 1:05 am
You might see a bit of color. But if you wear red you may be the only one.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 11:33 am
So I’m also going to a Fountain wedding and planned to wear a street length dress embellished with a discreet sprinkling of sequins. Not a nightclub-singer dress that’s all sequins so it’s practically a mirror, just a sprinkling scattered wide so that you can barely see them if you’re standing still but there’s a tiny bit of sparkle as you move. How would that go over? It doesn’t really matter because it’s all I have and I’ll wear it either way, just wondering if it’s considered too much for a regular guest who’s not even distant mishpacha. I’m really not up on Lakewood fashion.

Chayalle

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 11:34 am
Sounds fine, Purple.

giselle

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 11:42 am
Don’t wear black 🙈
Anyway, it really depends on the crowd... I’m from Lakewood and trying to decide what to wear to a few upcoming simchas, because I’m unsure of the crowd. Simpler is probably safer.

amother
Wine

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 1:31 pm
It totally depends on the crowd, because the Lakewood people I know are more flatbushy than any of my flatbush neighbors

dancingqueen

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 1:34 pm
amother wrote:
Everyone in Lakewood wears black to a wedding? How morbid.

(I'm yeshivish too, and don't see only black at weddings at all. Though I don't live in Lakewood.)

That was my thought too, kinda surprised that everyone wears black to weddings there.

Cheiny

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 1:40 pm
icedcoffee wrote:

Thanks Smile

You’d probably be one of the only ones (if not THE only one) wearing red and it is probably too revealing for Lakewood,,,,
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics