Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Info on YTT Lakewood

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 1:10 pm
We are considering a move to Lakewood, and my son entering third grade is well behaved, shy, sweet, innocent, and couldn't hurt a fly. He has some difficulty focusing in a large group, but would never disturb a class. He was in a one on one remedial department for learning to read and math for some of first grade, now he is holding his own in reading and still struggling with math. I would describe him as a little ADD with no hyperactivity. We were told by a Days Torah in Late that YTT would be the right school, and he would help us get my son in.

Here are my questions:

1. Because of my son's innocence he would be a very easy target for bullying. Please be honest about the bullying situation in YTT.

2. What type of resource room programming does YTT have for a boy that is well behaved but needs one on one help in certain subjects to be successful?

Your thoughtful replies, especially from parents with children in the school, will be an important part of our decision. Thank you in advance.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 1:36 pm
My son is in the school. Graduating soon. Our experience has been wonderful. I can’t speak for other classes, but everyone in my son’s class is friends. They all make an effort to go to each other’s bar mitzva kiddush even if it means going away for shabbos. I love the camaraderie. Rabbi Gelbwachs is a wonderful role model for the boys, which is more than I can say for some other schools. YTT boys are happy boys.

However - Rabbi Gelbwachs is not as involved anymore, and I hear things are changing. Also, from what I’ve heard, they don’t necessarily have the best resources for children who are struggling; however, I would encourage you to research that further, because I did not have a need for that.

I’d be glad to answer any other questions you have.

Good luck!

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 1:56 pm
We have three boys in school and have been so happy.

To answer your questions:

1)I've found the parent body and the kids to be a kind group. My oldest, grade 5, sounds similar to your son in temperament. He's a real sweetie who can be a bit spacy and is vulnerable to bullying. I've been impressed with how the school has dealt with any incidents that have come up. Rabbi Felman is the hands-on principal who deals with any behavior/bullying concerns. I've found him to be sensitive and helpful. There's an attitude of kindness and respect for the kids that is really nice to see. If I could change anything, it would be to implement more progressive tactics (empowering onlookers to respond to bullying, providing class-wide bullying education) when it comes to bullying.

2)There is no resource room as such in YTT. Support services are provided through Catapult. One of my boys needed help with reading and received small group instruction. I'm not sure if they provide one on one instruction.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 1:56 pm
Thank you so much! A happy boy is definitely what I'm looking for, and your response was so encouraging until I got to the part that the school is changing, and not a lot of extra curricular resources for boys that need it...which, in my experience is vital to producing happy boys... I would like to add that we are yeshivish, husband in Klei kodesh, with a very accepting, out of town mentality. We don't care who is in my son's class as long as they are kind boys that don't bring any inappropriate/morally harmful influences into a school. We are looking for a warm, happy, supportive place.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 2:01 pm
amother wrote:
We have three boys in school and have been so happy.

To answer your questions:

1)I've found the parent body and the kids to be a kind group. My oldest, grade 5, sounds similar to your son in temperament. He's a real sweetie who can be a bit spacy and is vulnerable to bullying. I've been impressed with how the school has dealt with any incidents that have come up. Rabbi Felman is the hands-on principal who deals with any behavior/bullying concerns. I've found him to be sensitive and helpful. There's an attitude of kindness and respect for the kids that is really nice to see. If I could change anything, it would be to implement more progressive tactics (empowering onlookers to respond to bullying, providing class-wide bullying education) when it comes to bullying.

2)There is no resource room as such in YTT. Support services are provided through Catapult. One of my boys needed help with reading and received small group instruction. I'm not sure if they provide one on one instruction.

Thank you for your detailed response! Can you please explain what Catapult is? Would small group instruction be available for boys in any grade, in any subject (like math, or kriah, or gemarah in older grades)? Thank you so much for your help.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 3:28 pm
My son is in ytt and has definitely had ups and downs over the years due to his various challenges. The school is amazing in dealing with things, big and small. My son has no problem going over to the principal to tell him about an incident that bothered him. If something happens on the bus on the way home (even something small), just knowing that I reached out to rabbi Feldman puts his mind at ease. They do have pull out for reading and I think math, I don't know about for Hebrew subjects. They did have self contained classes for English in younger grades but it may vary from year to year. On a whole, they are amazing and beyond about accepting and valuing every child. I can't say that they will have every resource you need in house but are happy to work with you and with anyone you want to send in. I have definitely had some years where they were much more patient and accepting with my son than other schools known to have more resources would have been (I was told that specifically by a professional who works in several schools). In all, I am very happy with the school and hope that every child feels as loved and accepted as my son does.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 3:57 pm
amother wrote:
My son is in ytt and has definitely had ups and downs over the years due to his various challenges. The school is amazing in dealing with things, big and small. My son has no problem going over to the principal to tell him about an incident that bothered him. If something happens on the bus on the way home (even something small), just knowing that I reached out to rabbi Feldman puts his mind at ease. They do have pull out for reading and I think math, I don't know about for Hebrew subjects. They did have self contained classes for English in younger grades but it may vary from year to year. On a whole, they are amazing and beyond about accepting and valuing every child. I can't say that they will have every resource you need in house but are happy to work with you and with anyone you want to send in. I have definitely had some years where they were much more patient and accepting with my son than other schools known to have more resources would have been (I was told that specifically by a professional who works in several schools). In all, I am very happy with the school and hope that every child feels as loved and accepted as my son does.

Beautiful! Exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you all for your positive responses, and may you see tons of nachas from your sons.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 5:10 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you so much! A happy boy is definitely what I'm looking for, and your response was so encouraging until I got to the part that the school is changing, and not a lot of extra curricular resources for boys that need it...which, in my experience is vital to producing happy boys... I would like to add that we are yeshivish, husband in Klei kodesh, with a very accepting, out of town mentality. We don't care who is in my son's class as long as they are kind boys that don't bring any inappropriate/morally harmful influences into a school. We are looking for a warm, happy, supportive place.

What kind of influences do you consider inappropriate? A large number (most?) of the boys play video games and have iPods. Most parents are not in Chinuch (if any...)

That’s not to say the school or parent body won’t be just as welcoming, but I’m wondering if you will feel comfortable there.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 6:07 pm
amother wrote:
What kind of influences do you consider inappropriate? A large number (most?) of the boys play video games and have iPods. Most parents are not in Chinuch (if any...)

That’s not to say the school or parent body won’t be just as welcoming, but I’m wondering if you will feel comfortable there.

Thanks for the information. What you described wouldn't bother me, as long as boys were not coming in talking about inappropriate movies, shows, or songs to the point that my son felt he had to watch/hear those things to fit in. My sons play games on the Wii and follow sports, what bothers me is when boys bring very inappropriate references to pop culture into school. I can't imagine that would be a problem.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 7:13 pm
I'm coming in as a professional that worked in the school for a number of years. I taught a self contained class there and I must tell you that the hanhalah is superb! They really care about each child and are there to help if the need arises. I definitely recommend the school! There is no one out there like rabbi gelbwachs!!

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 7:19 pm
amother wrote:
I'm coming in as a professional that worked in the school for a number of years. I taught a self contained class there and I must tell you that the hanhalah is superb! They really care about each child and are there to help if the need arises. I definitely recommend the school! There is no one out there like rabbi gelbwachs!!

Thank you so much for your perspective

oneofakind

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:27 pm
YTT is a lovely school but you must know that in every school you have to be on top of your son's situation. The report card says he can read. Pull out a book and see if he could read. He got an aleph in chumash. Open a chumash and see what he knows. Having been through the system, sometimes people have low expectations, are lazy, ignorant, don't want to be the bearer of bad news and will tell you your son is fine and you just keep coasting along when what's needed is outside intervention.

amother
Firebrick

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:35 pm
oneofakind wrote:
YTT is a lovely school but you must know that in every school you have to be on top of your son's situation. The report card says he can read. Pull out a book and see if he could read. He got an aleph in chumash. Open a chumash and see what he knows. Having been through the system, sometimes people have low expectations, are lazy, ignorant, don't want to be the bearer of bad news and will tell you your son is fine and you just keep coasting along when what's needed is outside intervention.

This is probably a spin-off, but it's so interesting to read this. I thought for the most part schools have swung to the overly cautious side, and are letting parents know about every little concern. Maybe it's different in my city.

oneofakind

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:41 pm
It also depends on whether the parents are taking care of the problem or not. Sometimes the school is very hands off because the parents are already involved. However, if they don't get accurate feedback from the school or the school doesn't make an effort because" everything is being done" it's very difficult.

amother
Red

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:44 pm
I have 3 boys in the school now and 1 that graduated a long time ago.
they have a self contained class for English in some grades. Rabbi Feldman is very good and on top of things.

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 9:55 pm
They are very on top of bullying, so you dont have to worry about that. In the hebrew department, I have found that there isnt much help for kids that have issues. You will have to hire someone on your own to come in and tutor your kid, or find out about a tutor that comes around for other kids and can tutor yours as well. For english there are tutors. There is definitely a very happy atmosphere in the school. The big question is if they would even have room for your son. The classes are mostly at capacity and have more kids then they used to allow per class.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics