Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Can you guess why this school only allowed 5% to take SATs?
  1  2  3  9  10  11  Next

marina

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 3:45 pm
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entr.....b6ad0

I can’t believe she really doesn’t get it.

amother
Copper

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 3:58 pm
marina wrote:
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c508853e4b0f43e410b6ad0

SAT's? The school I went to didn't allow the girls to graduate with an accredited high school diploma let alone learn chumash or rashi. Her school allowed all this, why would they not allow the SAT's as well? Is the SAT's mandatory for college or is regents enough?

ETA- Her comparison to chasidishe boys school (and her attempt to conflate Bais Yakov with chasidishe girls schools) is disingenuous as it disregards the education or lack thereof that chasidishe girls and most boys get.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 4:00 pm
I assume she went to Touro? Then she must have taken the SATs at some point.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 4:27 pm
This is pure BS - first of all, my friends kids went to an ultra Chassidish school and they took the SAT's. All the kids who wanted to did.

Second, not allowed to use the internet? My second friend's kids are in a Chassidish school, and she told me that even though they all signed the paper, when they all had to register on line for something, the teacher said - if you don't have internet access come to me and I'll do it for you. There were no takers.

Marina, I'm surprised at you. The Huffington Post?

marina

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 4:35 pm
amother wrote:
This is pure BS - first of all, my friends kids went to an ultra Chassidish school and they took the SAT's. All the kids who wanted to did.

Second, not allowed to use the internet? My second friend's kids are in a Chassidish school, and she told me that even though they all signed the paper, when they all had to register on line for something, the teacher said - if you don't have internet access come to me and I'll do it for you. There were no takers.

Marina, I'm surprised at you. The Huffington Post?

Wait lol I just want to understand your position here. Because your friends’ schools allow them to take SATs and no one asked the teacher for internet help, that means this woman’s story is made up? Really? lol LOL

Cheiny

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 4:37 pm
marina wrote:
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5c508853e4b0f43e410b6ad0

Some people take glee in frum Jew/community-bashing.

marina

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 4:38 pm
amother wrote:
SAT's? The school I went to didn't allow the girls to graduate with an accredited high school diploma let alone learn chumash or rashi. Her school allowed all this, why would they not allow the SAT's as well? Is the SAT's mandatory for college or is regents enough?

ETA- Her comparison to chasidishe boys school (and her attempt to conflate Bais Yakov with chasidishe girls schools) is disingenuous as it disregards the education or lack thereof that chasidishe girls and most boys get.

They allowed the SATs but because the school has to report the average score, they only had the top 5% take the test. Another way of cheating the system to make girls’ schools look better than they are.

GreenEyes26

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 4:52 pm
I am 1000% behind YAFFED and Naftali Moster, and actually read this article through a link on his Facebook page. I totally understand this woman’s frustration, and anger, but her situation isn’t really the important fight at the moment. I feel like this isn’t the right time to be conflating all the various injustices in the Yeshivish school system. Let’s focus, for now, on the schools that really need them.

Last edited by GreenEyes26 on Sun, Feb 10 2019, 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 4:53 pm
GreenEyes26 wrote:
I am 1000% behind YAFFED and Naftali Moser, and actually read this article through a link on his Facebook page. I totally understand this woman’s frustration, and anger, but her situation isn’t really the important fight at the moment. I feel like this isn’t the right time to be conflating all the various injustices in the Yeshivish school system. Let’s focus, for now, on the schools that really need them.

That was probably an autocorrect, but I'll consider a Freudian slip.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 4:56 pm
marina, it does sound like she got a decent education. I'm far more concerned about the chassidish boy school whose graduates can't speak basic English or do basic math.

GreenEyes26

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 4:59 pm
amother wrote:

No. It wasn’t. You thought you were being cute, though, weren’t you? 🙄

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 6:03 pm
I graduated h.s. over 30 years ago. We had top notch math test prep, which explains grades like 1590, 1400, etc. out of 1600.
We didn't have English prep but I still did equally well and scored quite highly.
Mainstream BY.

Maya

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 6:11 pm
GreenEyes26 wrote:
I am 1000% behind YAFFED and Naftali Moster, and actually read this article through a link on his Facebook page. I totally understand this woman’s frustration, and anger, but her situation isn’t really the important fight at the moment. I feel like this isn’t the right time to be conflating all the various injustices in the Yeshivish school system. Let’s focus, for now, on the schools that really need them.

I agree. Her “struggles” are nowhere near the level of struggles that Chassidish men face when they have to go out in the real world, and her attempt to compare herself - a regular educated woman who attended college - to men who can’t speak or read or write a word of English is petty and ridiculous, and undermines the efforts of YAFFED.

Why does everyone feel like they have to tell a story, when there is nothing really to tell.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 6:35 pm
amother wrote:

And a reminder that G-d sees all!

Cheiny

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 6:37 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
I graduated h.s. over 30 years ago. We had top notch math test prep, which explains grades like 1590, 1400, etc. out of 1600.
We didn't have English prep but I still did equally well and scored quite highly.
Mainstream BY.

Stop, you’re disrupting the agendas of those who seek every opportunity to bash the frum community....

Maya

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 6:40 pm
marina wrote:
They allowed the SATs but because the school has to report the average score, they only had the top 5% take the test. Another way of cheating the system to make girls’ schools look better than they are.

Yes. And her story is likely true. But the takeaway of it should be the fraud, which we know is prevalent. Not her lack of education and comparison to Chassidish boys. She should not be hanging her hat on that cause.

mommy3b2c

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 6:58 pm
Maya wrote:
I agree. Her “struggles” are nowhere near the level of struggles that Chassidish men face when they have to go out in the real world, and her attempt to compare herself - a regular educated woman who attended college - to men who can’t speak or read or write a word of English is petty and ridiculous, and undermines the efforts of YAFFED.

Why does everyone feel like they have to tell a story, when there is nothing really to tell.

Agree with this. I felt her story was a complete load of nothing. There was no story. Her education wasn’t as great as the top private schools in the country. Whoop dee doo.

happybeingamom

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 7:15 pm
Her reality is her parents wanted to raise her a certain way and that was their right. Stop blaming schools, and accept the reality you were educated they way your parents chose.

marina

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:12 pm
I am okay with criticizing her for comparing her mediocre education to the boys’ nonexistent one. But plse keep in mind that just because your family didn’t beg for their supper, doesn’t mean they weren’t poor. There are many ways girls’ schools fail their students and we shouldn’t sweep those under the rug. Yes if you only have one dollar for this cause, send it to the boys’ school crisis, but let’s not retain the false impression that the girls’ schools are fabulous

amother
Green

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:18 pm
marina wrote:
I am okay with criticizing her for comparing her mediocre education to the boys’ nonexistent one. But plse keep in mind that just because your family didn’t beg for their supper, doesn’t mean they weren’t poor. There are many ways girls’ schools fail their students and we shouldn’t sweep those under the rug. Yes if you only have one dollar for this cause, send it to the boys’ school crisis, but let’s not retain the false impression that the girls’ schools are fabulous

It's hard to dispel the false impression that girls schools are fabulous. There is nothing for some people to compare them to. DS went to a top boys school. And he received nowhere near the education I did in a top public school. You couldn't convince anyone his school is deficient unless they had a frame of reference.
Page 1 of 11   1  2  3  9  10  11  Next Recent Topics