Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Inattentive ADHD experience

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 6:48 pm
Do you have a experience with an inattentive ADHD diagnosis? It seems DS has this.

Can you share:

Age at diagnosis
Gender of child
Most obvious symptoms
What prompted the diagnosis
Medication
Other therapy
Any other helpful information

TIA

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 6:57 pm
Our 13 year old son was just diagnosed with ADHD Inattentive. We did the testing on recommendation of the school psychologist, who said he was not paying attention in class and seemed to have difficulty switching from one class to the next.

Sorry no advice yet. We’re just starting out with trying different methods of learning and possibly short range meds.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 7:50 pm
I have a 15 y/o. It seems inattentaive diagnosis is much later. Yeshiva seems to have exacerbated it.

All the best to your family.

sarahmalka

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 9:14 pm
My kid has both inattentive and hyper. Some auditory processing issues. Age at diagnosis was maybe 8. Symptoms were trouble with engaging during class, trouble transitioning, difficulty sitting still and hyper focus. Diagnosis was through a one hour test by psychiatrist who didn't really know us (I was not happy about that, felt rushed and useless), then we did more thorough battery of tests called neuropsych testing through a PhD psychologist. Interventions have included diet changes (been through many and hard to keep him on it but mainly now we avoid food dyes, preservatives like BHT, and try to limit sugar with varying success); therapy (talk and CBT); and medications along with some vitamins. We have been through many meds. Stimulants didn't work great and not worth side effects. Currently age 10 and on atomoxetine. Lectures and videos by Dr Russell Barkley have been pretty useful to me. HTH and good luck.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 11:12 am
sarahmalka wrote:
My kid has both inattentive and hyper. Some auditory processing issues. Age at diagnosis was maybe 8. Symptoms were trouble with engaging during class, trouble transitioning, difficulty sitting still and hyper focus. Diagnosis was through a one hour test by psychiatrist who didn't really know us (I was not happy about that, felt rushed and useless), then we did more thorough battery of tests called neuropsych testing through a PhD psychologist. Interventions have included diet changes (been through many and hard to keep him on it but mainly now we avoid food dyes, preservatives like BHT, and try to limit sugar with varying success); therapy (talk and CBT); and medications along with some vitamins. We have been through many meds. Stimulants didn't work great and not worth side effects. Currently age 10 and on atomoxetine. Lectures and videos by Dr Russell Barkley have been pretty useful to me. HTH and good luck.

Thank you for listing the medication! I didn’t know there was a non-stimulant medication option if needed.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 10:49 pm
My daughter showed symptoms of ADHD in 3rd grade but I did not start meds until 5th grade . Adderol was AWFUL. It made her even more anxious as well as sad . She is not hyper . Her symptoms were mostly inattentiveness and not being able to follow 2 step directions . She struggled socially as well bec she was immature .
She is also impulsive in a sense where she’s not simply hungry, she’s starving and she “needs food NOW”. she has a calm nature overall but will have outbursts mostly in the mornings before she takes her meds . She is insecure and struggles socially and academically .

amother
Ruby

Post Thu, Feb 21 2019, 10:53 pm
sluggish thyroid can sometimes cause symptoms that look like inattentive adhd.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 5:26 pm
amother [ Saddlebrown ] wrote:
I have a 15 y/o. It seems inattentaive diagnosis is much later. Yeshiva seems to have exacerbated it.

All the best to your family.

I’m trying to follow up on this because I also have a 15 year old son with a similar issue. What happened with yours in the end?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics