Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Purim
What would you do?

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:11 pm
I like to give a themed well thought out mm every year related to our costumes etc.
Some of my siblings are strict with hechsherim and won’t even drink o-u drinks like coke. So each year I only put in what they would eat. This year I really to put in a small coke bottle but they won’t use theirs. Do I
1- put in the coke and let them deal with it
2- put in water and put coke for my siblings that do drink it? We meet at moms house so they may notice that theirs is different
3- give all siblings water although I really want some to get their personalized cute coke bottles?

I know it’s really silly but I have this issue every Purim.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:19 pm
Good question. You wanna be cute or you want to send something useful?
I have a sister n law who is not makpid on hachsherim, and most of the family is makpid (she knows it). She always sends stuff that we don't use, we accept her mm to make 'Her Feel good', but then we throw out the stuff.
Is that what you want your family to do with your coke? Try to send something they'll really appreciate rather than making something cute for yourself.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:20 pm
I don't think it's worth spending your money on something you know they don't use.

Rutabaga

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 11:43 pm
Make a Coke label to put on a water bottle.

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 11:48 pm
I think most people end up getting things they can’t use over Purim and that’s just a part of it. Don’t change your mm just because a few people won’t be able to drink the coke. Do what most people who you are giving mm to would be able to do.
I.e. If your not makpid on cholov Yisroel but most of your friends/neighbors/Family are then I would keep mm cholov yisroel and vice versa

Spaghetti7

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 2:19 am
I would do separate coke for those who will drink it and water for those who won't. It's okay if they see that they have different drinks because it's actually nice that you're considering their hechsherim requirements and making something for them that's for THEM. They can notice the difference and appreciate it.

salt

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 4:30 am
Empty the coke bottle, wash it and fill it with water/orange juice, whatever else they will drink.
(Coke is very unhealthy anyway)

cinnamon

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 4:36 am
Does it have to be a specific brand of coke? (I assume coca cola?)
Maybe you can give these siblings a cola flavored drink in a hechsher they do use?
Many times these drinks have the same coloring and look similar to real coke.

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:13 am
Why is this even a question? Coke for the Coke heads and water for everyone else. MM Is not about designing a cute and clever “theme”; it’s about giving people gifts of food that are meant to foster love and unity. It’s not a gift if you know they won’t use it. I would feel deeply dissed if my very own relative gave me a gift that she knew perfectly well I can’t use, ESPECIALLY when it’s a matter of kashrut and she selected it herself! If it were a prepackaged deal from a commercial outfit, meh, she chose a package and couldn’t know every thing that would be in it. But an MM she put together herself and gives me something she knows I won’t eat? Some love and unity!

watergirl

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:30 am
zaq wrote:
Why is this even a question? Coke for the Coke heads and water for everyone else. MM Is not about designing a cute and clever “theme”; it’s about giving people gifts of food that are meant to foster love and unity. It’s not a gift if you know they won’t use it. I would feel deeply dissed if my very own relative gave me a gift that she knew perfectly well I can’t use, ESPECIALLY when it’s a matter of kashrut and she selected it herself! If it were a prepackaged deal from a commercial outfit, meh, she chose a package and couldn’t know every thing that would be in it. But an MM she put together herself and gives me something she knows I won’t eat? Some love and unity!

Yes to every word of this. The point of mm seems lost when these themes and quantity take precedence. We give out a pretzel dog in our mm. If a vegetarian or gf person were on our list, we would give them something different. My daughter learned from us and customizes her mm for her friends (allergies and food issues), and then wonders why her friends, who all know she keeps CY, gives her Hershey's. She’s used to it by now but it just seems odd to me that people send what they KNOW the recipient wont eat because, ya know, the theme. Or they are sending too many to make personalized for food issues.

OP, cant you get a heimish cola for those who wont drink coke and print off whatever label and attach it? So what if they notice its different? They will be happy that you thought of them.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:01 am
It's not allowed to throw out food. Donate, gosh!!

amother
Pearl

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:37 am
Dh used to have a chasdidish colleague who would sometimes give him things that he got with hashgachas he didn’t use. It felt a little unpleasant to be this man’s “Kashrus [non jew]” as it were, but we did get some dandy stuff!

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:51 am
Ruchel wrote:
It's not allowed to throw out food. Donate, gosh!!

This. Although the kosher food pantry here is not allowed to take junk food, there are plenty of other options depending on your philosophy.

I don’t like the idea of giving junk food to schoolchildren, and wouldn’t send excess junk to the school for Shabbos party. Fortunately for me, I work in an office that is all adults and largely nonJewish, so if I have excess MM, reliably kosher or not, there is a market for it. If kosher I inform my Jewish colleagues and invite them to partake; if questionable, I put it out anonymously.

It’s a big office with lots of foot traffic so the stuff goes quickly no matter how horribly devoid of nutritional value it may be. No issue of bal tashchit and I no guilt over leading children astray. I may have to continue working here for the rest of my life for this reason alone. LOL

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:18 am
we regift about 90% of our MM. I assume people do the same with ours. I'd give the coke. It's not like no one else is going to give them stuff they don't drink/eat. Coke is a decent cleaning product as well lol.

Iymnok

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:38 am
Print out a personalized label that mimics the frum brand of the item. Stick it on and it will fit the theme and look cute. They will be happy to get something personalized and that they could use.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics