Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Help me get rid of old books

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 5:58 pm
I have lots of old books. I don't think I'll ever read most of them again. I have stuff like Ellery Queen mystery magazines, Dave Barry, other stuff. I looked on Amazon and people actually pay money for this stuff but I've never sold anything on line. Am I better off just giving it to the public library for the next book sale? Talk me into finding a way to get them out of my house. Thanks!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 6:00 pm
either donate or sell the secular books to half price books and the jewish books to jewish used books

Maya

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 6:00 pm
Check if your local library will accept them.

SingALong

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 6:23 pm
I gave up trying to sell them. Just put them in a donate books bin in my neighbkrhood

CatLady

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 7:31 pm
Does your local hospital have a book nook? People donate books and volunteers staff the kiosk. It's a good fundraiser for them.

groisamomma

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 7:53 pm
Several years ago, I advertised in the local paper that I'm looking for someone to sell my used books on eBay. A 12-year-old boy responded and we split the profits 50/50.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:11 pm
I'm probably deluding myself about how much I'd get for them. I'm going to try a friend who used to sell books. I don't know if she still does. If not, I'll probably give them to the library.

amother
Tan

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:18 pm
amother wrote:
I'm probably deluding myself about how much I'd get for them. I'm going to try a friend who used to sell books. I don't know if she still does. If not, I'll probably give them to the library.

Figure 25 cents per paperback and a dollar per hardcover.

etky

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 12:58 am
I did a major clearing out of old books last summer, mostly non-fiction.
The local library was not interested in many of the really old ones but they did take some, especially the reference and self-help books. I also gave some to libraries in adjacent communities.
I put out a notice on our community chat list that people were welcome to come peruse our collection and take what they wanted.
The Jewish books I gave to the shul library.
The books that I couldn't get anyone to take I just tossed into the garbage.
DH was horrified at first that I would dispose of them that way but these were books that no one had looked at in decades, that no one else wanted and I couldn't find a reason to keep them when I needed the space for new books.

groisamomma

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 1:01 am
I know this sounds crazy but my kids are voracious readers and so are dh and I. Are you in the tri-state area?

amother
Khaki

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 8:50 am
Not in the tristate area

nchr

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 8:57 am
I've always dropped off old books at the library. I once gave them close to 500 books. I imagine they sold some of them and kept others.

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 2:06 pm
Ive been wondering the same thing. My local library doesn't accept books Sad
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics