Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Info on Sara Yaraslowitz

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:42 pm
I am looking for info on OT/behavior therapist Sara Yaraslowitz.
Is she licensed?
What does she specialize in?
How hard is it to get an appointment?
Does she take insurance?
Any personal reviews or comments?

Thanks

amother
Maroon

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:47 pm
We went there many years ago so I don’t remember the answer to most questions. She is an ot.

We were not so happy. Very unrealistic. For ex: she wanted me to stop verbalizing requests to ds and physically do hand over hand to make him do what was requested after the first verbalization (big 3/4 year old). So I asked her a typical situation in which I would be holding a ton of stuff and needing him to go down the stairs because we are rushing out of the house. She said, too bad, put everything down and be late so you can physically make him do it. It could be she was right but it’s just not realistic. I’m not going to be late to school and work every day for 2 weeks plus (in which case he may or may not have learned to do it- my guess not, I did it many other times for months and it didn’t work.)

oneofakind

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:47 pm
Read her book and you'll see what she's about.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:57 pm
I read her book and heard her speak. I loved the concept and implemented it at home with my 6 yr old. I followed it to the T. Two years later and I'm still working to repair the damage it did to my relationship with my child. It might be effective for some children. Personally, I can never recommend it for anyone.

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 3:24 am
Very harsh approach
Might work with children on the autism spectrum (which is where she started this from) but a regular communicative kid? No

I also find it frustrating that a parent would take her advice. She is an OT. She did not train in any mental health field AFAIK.

I don’t know her personally but I have dealt with plenty of the fallout

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 12:53 pm
Any positive reviews?

My child is impulsive, has SPD and has many other behavioral issues.

I was recommended this therapist but I've become extremely hesitant to even give her a try, based on the responses here.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 1:13 pm
amother wrote:
Any positive reviews?

My child is impulsive, has SPD and has many other behavioral issues.

I was recommended this therapist but I've become extremely hesitant to even give her a try, based on the responses here.

Don't do it. Your child needs an attuned, developmental approach which will help him/her develop improved self modulation skills, self awareness, and a more regulated nervous system. Based on the responses, it looks like this approach does none of that, and would be more appropriate for training a pet

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 1:15 pm
For a child who is impulsive and has behavioral issues the explosive child by ross greene and self reg by stuart shenker are fantastic.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 1:30 pm
I'm having a hard time implementing techniques just from reading a book.

Any reccomendations in NYC for a therapist that would be able to help my child and guide us?

TIA

aricelli

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 10:51 am
Hi there! My son is impulsive has spd and other behavioral issues! Sounds familiar?! He’s doing so much better now and I find that its been a journey of many different puzzle pieces rather than one thing. The first thing we did was OT, as soon as his sensory issues were lessened many of his behavioral issues were gone as well- he was that much happier. However, make sure you have a good OT as not all are equal- besides for going to the center we hired a top one to come to our house and that was huge!

aricelli

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 10:55 am
Hi again: after a while we added dir/floortime to help with his social, emotional behavioral and motor planning difficulties: this is an awesome experience!

Last edited by aricelli on Tue, Nov 19 2019, 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 10:56 am
aricelli wrote:
Hi again: after a while we added dir/floortime to help with his social, emotional behavioral and motor planning difficulties: this is an awesome experience!
One more interesting thing that we did: we went to Colorado to Lucy Jane Millers star sensory center for an extended eval and that really helped us understand our son better and gave us more guidance.

Wow! I just want to say that I'm so impressed with your efforts to understand and help your child 💓

aricelli

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 10:59 am
Thanks! Though I got to say things got so bad that he was nearly kicked out of preK so I had to do something. He was one unhappy angry little guy!

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 11:01 am
aricelli wrote:
Thanks! Though I got to say things got so bad that he was nearly kicked out of preK so I had to do something. He was one unhappy angry little guy!

The help that you got is the kind that requires lots of parental involvement. You get a lot of credit.

aricelli

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 11:11 am
Lime: thanks a lot for the validation... this is another thing I’ve learnt: the only way you can see results is if its a joint effort with Mom or Dad joining along in the therapy process- by simply dropping your child off at a therapist or center the progress will be slower

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 11:50 am
Aricelli, Can I pm you?

I'm the OP.

I would like to get the info of the therapists you used.

aricelli

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 12:01 pm
Sure! I’d love to pay it forward!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children