Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Do you prepare for Shabbos

Petra

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 9:11 pm
Meaning, do you learn something during the week to discuss at the Shabbos table?

flowerpower

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 10:06 pm
My dh prints out a lot of “torahs” and stories related to the parsha each week from a few different sites. It’s on the kids level and its reallt nice to read.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 11:13 pm
Yes, I look at the parsha before shabbos. I don't prepare a dvar Torah, but I'm up on the issues and prepared to join the conversation.

I also prepare a food that hints at the parsha, just for fun. (Lots of people do this.) So this past week, we had a salad with two different kinds of cabbage, for the kruvim.

seeker

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 1:32 am
I prepare but usually not during the week, usually more like 5 minutes in advance... but my kids are still pretty little so they don't need much. They each have something little from school and their attention span isn't that much bigger.

One family I've visited for Shabbos a number of times I noticed the father often poses a kind of open-ended question and everyone around the table has a chance to answer. I liked that so I try to do something like that too - for example, last week it was "name one thing that could be donated to the mishkan."

Another pattern we've been following lately is talking about the name of the parsha. My kids are in the early grades and just starting to understand some Hebrew, so we talk about the shoresh/related words, etc.

I'm expecting it to get more challenging to engage them as they get older and the "basics" are all BTDT. But it's a challenge I think I can look forward to Smile

etky

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 2:46 am
I do this on Shabbat itself-usually during kriyat hatorah and/or the haftarah.
Usually something in the text will catch my attention or a thought or question for discussion will come to mind during the reading itself.
Often it will be a discussion of the connection between the parsha and the haftarah.
If nothing came to mind (rare Smile ), then I will bring something from the short shiur that I stay for, that is given right after davening.

etky

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 2:47 am
amother wrote:
Yes, I look at the parsha before shabbos. I don't prepare a dvar Torah, but I'm up on the issues and prepared to join the conversation.

I also prepare a food that hints at the parsha, just for fun. (Lots of people do this.) So this past week, we had a salad with two different kinds of cabbage, for the kruvim.

Clever and cute Smile

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:15 am
etky wrote:
Clever and cute Smile

Aww, thanks.

Any idea why our posts got hugged?

etky

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:25 am
amother wrote:
Aww, thanks.

Any idea why our posts got hugged?

Nope Confused

yonabets

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:25 am
ו try to listen a nice story on "torah-box " and I tell them at the table.or "parasha a minute"( also torah box)
And my husband prepare every week a quizz on the parasha

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:44 am
NO. I'm happy to leave this to men and school children. If I have an insight I share it but I don't do anything

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:51 am
No.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note