Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Kindergarten in Lakewood

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 6:57 pm
Ok so we are planning to possibly move to an area near Lakewood and I was so concerned with getting my ds into school, didn’t even think of my dd, who is in nursery this year and was supposed to go to kindergarten next year l, but thought that idea was out the door because school in Lakewood only starts at primary. Having read the Bais tova thread I see that isn’t the case. Actually that school sounds great because dd is bli Ayin Hara very bright and social. But I see that it’s probably not likely. In fact, the principal who interviewed her where we are now said she could already see her as g.o. Or something. She’s such a personality and I felt so bad that she would have to go to playgroup and downgrade because she was learning so much in a school nursery this year.

Any other schools like Bais tova?do they also have kindergartens. We are typical Flatbush family with some heimishness. Frum but not so sheltered. My kids read and know what’s going on in the world.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 7:02 pm
No advice on my end, I’m with you on this!

Following this thread

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 4:54 am
Bump for the morning crowd Smile. Thank you!

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:00 am
Schools that I can think of off the top of my head that have kindergartners are bnos bracha, bnos devora, nachlas, bais tova, meoros. There are forsure more... anyone else ?

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:15 am
If your kids are not so sheltered then Bais Tova might not be the right choice for you anyway.

Who do you know in Lakewood that you identify with, and where do they send their kids? That might key you into a school that is the right choice for you.

Also - many playgroups in Lakewood are not a "downgrade" at all. I sent my girls to an amazing playgroup Morah. The level of teaching she does is awesome - she says kids are like sponges, so she believes in exposing them to alot of learning, music, art, etc..as much as possible - besides for the pure Yiras Shomayim she exudes. Her class was on a high level. I'm sure there are many playgroups like hers.

I would not make a school choice for my child on the basis of whether they have a kindergarten, alone. You will be in that school for the next 9 years - it should be a good fit for you and your family, if possible, and one year isn't going to make it or break it.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:25 am
I agree. If you get a good morah it can be an amazing learning nurturing experience.
My kid thrives in kindergarten and learned a lot.
The schools expect students to know a minimum the beginning the year so they have to get a good foundation in 4 year olds.

Agree with Chayalle. How not sheltered do you mean? Bais tova May not be the right fit anyway.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:29 am
Just as an example, two of my girls came out of kindergarten reading in both Hebrew and English. Just from exposure. She taught Aleph Bais, and there was an (optional) afternoon "clubs" group for ABC....and they both took it all the way.

They learned a rich array of song and dance....they painted and sculpted with modeling clay, they made a beautiful Aleph Bais book, they baked, they did so many things....When I think of my own kindergarten experience in a large school in NY, I can't compare the attention and nurturing my girls got in Lakewood....

I don't call that a downgrade.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:52 am
Chayalle is 100% right . A building and a principal doesnt make it a higher tier of learning. I'm daughter is going to kindergarten next year in a school iyh as a repeat. She is by a phenomenal morah this year and there really wasnt where to move on from without it being a big downgrade so she is going to elementary school iyh.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:06 am
When I say not so sheltered, I don’t mean with popular culture, I mean with stuff like world events. My little ones watch some pbs and Disney junior stuff. My big one I only allow to watch some sports or Jewish stuff. I am a big believer jn following rules and we instituted it with my big one because his yeshiva rule changed and we followed, even thigh most kids did not. I would take them to an athletic game etc.. A hundred percent I wouldn’t choose just based on if they have a kindergarten. It’s just something I’m taking into account.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:10 am
You sound well rounded and you will probably be in for a huge shock going thru the lkwd "getting into school" system
Do yourself a favor now (in advance) and put filters on all your devices as this will likely come up, get off of any social media. Try to conform tznius wise - you dont have to look shlumpy or nerdy you just dont want to stand out for the bad... GOOD LUCK

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:32 am
amother wrote:
When I say not so sheltered, I don’t mean with popular culture, I mean with stuff like world events. My little ones watch some pbs and Disney junior stuff. My big one I only allow to watch some sports or Jewish stuff. I am a big believer jn following rules and we instituted it with my big one because his yeshiva rule changed and we followed, even thigh most kids did not. I would take them to an athletic game etc.. A hundred percent I wouldn’t choose just based on if they have a kindergarten. It’s just something I’m taking into account.

Most Lakewood schools (especially Bais tova) would take issue with pbs, Disney junior or watching any sports...

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 8:48 am
amother wrote:
Most Lakewood schools (especially Bais tova) would take issue with pbs, Disney junior or watching any sports...

And I would stop if it was against school rules. I dress very tznius. I teach in a Bais Yaakov school so in general, I think we are conformers

Chayalle

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:03 am
L'chatchilla, I wouldn't choose a school where I had to change things about myself in order to fit in there, unless I had a really good reason to do so.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:22 am
Chayalle wrote:
L'chatchilla, I wouldn't choose a school where I had to change things about myself in order to fit in there, unless I had a really good reason to do so.

I let them watch not because I like it but because I often have difficulty keeping them occupied Sad. It’s not necessarily hashkafa.

keym

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:32 am
I would look into Meoros BY- or Nachalas BY. Both sound like they might be a good fit based off of your description. I believe they both have kindergartens but I may be wrong.
Moreshes, Bnos Esther Malka but I'm not sure if they have kindergartens. maybe.
Where are you sending your son? Just curious, to help "match you".

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:36 am
keym wrote:
I would look into Meoros BY- or Nachalas BY. Both sound like they might be a good fit based off of your description. I believe they both have kindergartens but I may be wrong.
Moreshes, Bnos Esther Malka but I'm not sure if they have kindergartens. maybe.
Where are you sending your son? Just curious, to help "match you".

I’m waiting for an answer from tashbar

keym

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:52 am
amother wrote:
I’m waiting for an answer from tashbar

Then I would look into those schools I mentioned.
Meoros, Nachalas, Moreshes, and Bnos Esther Malka.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:29 am
You can also try a legal preschool for kindergarten, which will be housed in a real facility. Imagination preschool has an amazing kindergarten teacher.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 1:43 pm
keym wrote:
Then I would look into those schools I mentioned.
Meoros, Nachalas, Moreshes, and Bnos Esther Malka.

Any idea of how to look into them?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics