Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Tri state area house under 500k
Previous  1  2  3  Next

spring chick

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 4:26 pm
Hillside NJ and Elizabeth are seeing a rebound with many young families moving in

cpamama

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 5:58 pm
East Meadow in Long Island. Up and coming amazing community!

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:24 pm
The first 2 links she listed are in Dexter Park, near Monsey. It's a great place to live. You can pay under 500 here.

amother
Pewter

Post Sun, Feb 10 2019, 8:33 pm
You can find a nice house in Passaic for 5, you can also get something smaller or older/run down for less and do some construction. You have the option of the train or the bus. Both should be around an hour to Wall Street. Schools are right in the community, no traveling.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 12:22 am
West Hempstead, LI

cookies6

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:13 am
amother wrote:
You can find a nice house in Passaic for 5, you can also get something smaller or older/run down for less and do some construction. You have the option of the train or the bus. Both should be around an hour to Wall Street. Schools are right in the community, no traveling.

Most houses in Passaic/Clifton have surpassed $500k, even small starter ones. Additionally, it's worth bearing in mind that property taxes in Passaic/Clifton are extremely high so you need to take that into account when buying a house. It could make a house that you thought you could afford, unaffordable.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:58 am
cookies6 wrote:
Most houses in Passaic/Clifton have surpassed $500k, even small starter ones. Additionally, it's worth bearing in mind that property taxes in Passaic/Clifton are extremely high so you need to take that into account when buying a house. It could make a house that you thought you could afford, unaffordable.

I would not say that you get a big house for $500k, but almost every house in my neighborhood has sold for less than that. A small house goes for under $350k. I can post links if you'd like.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 11:23 am
spring chick wrote:
Hillside NJ and Elizabeth are seeing a rebound with many young families moving in

Not OP but I would lstill he to check Zillow for housing costs. What are the street names I should be looking at??

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 2:26 pm
I recently moved to Monsey and I’m doing the commute to Wall Street. It is awful. Generally about 2 hours. Please take monsey off your list.

gold21

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 2:33 pm
How do property taxes in Passaic compare to Monsey? Pure curiosity. I'm not buying a house, and if I were, it would be elsewhere. I know people living/buying in these communities and I'm curious how important it is to assess property tax before purchasing. How high are property taxes in these places, as compared to someplace like NYC, which is known to be super low? Anyone can help me understand? Just clueless....

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 4:56 pm
amother wrote:
I recently moved to Monsey and I’m doing the commute to Wall Street. It is awful. Generally about 2 hours. Please take monsey off your list.

Every time I've gone in to Manhattan with the Monsey Trails, it took 45 minutes.

emhabanim

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:07 pm
amother wrote:
Every time I've gone in to Manhattan with the Monsey Trails, it took 45 minutes.

When? During rush hour that’s impossible. When it’s raining or snowing or perfect weather? where? To midtown? Or downtown / Wall Street. Huge differences.

Monsey to Wall Street during rush hour is definitely a long commute.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:25 pm
Monsey to B and H may be 45 minutes on a very very light traffic day. Most definitely not to Wall Street during rush hour

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:45 pm
cookies6 wrote:

It’s not easy in general to find good houses in Passaic but you can definitely find 3 bedroom homes under that price if you’re willing to give it time. Taxes are definitely high but they are not that different than anything else that will be within that commute to the city.

OutATowner

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:46 pm
Just checked, Wall Street is about hour and a half from me, rush hour now. PM if interested. Dont want to out my location.

cnc

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:48 pm
amother wrote:

That's to 34th in middle of the day.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:50 pm
gold21 wrote:
How do property taxes in Passaic compare to Monsey? Pure curiosity. I'm not buying a house, and if I were, it would be elsewhere. I know people living/buying in these communities and I'm curious how important it is to assess property tax before purchasing. How high are property taxes in these places, as compared to someplace like NYC, which is known to be super low? Anyone can help me understand? Just clueless....

Taxes on a 3-4 bedroom home range from about $8k-$12. There are houses that go up to $25k but that would not be typical for what it sounds like OP wants.

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 8:32 pm
amother wrote:

How often do you go?
I commute a few times a week.
It's not 45 minutes. A day that the commute is even close to 45 min is amazing. It doesn't happen often. Maybe on a legal holiday

cookies6

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:34 pm
amother wrote:
It’s not easy in general to find good houses in Passaic but you can definitely find 3 bedroom homes under that price if you’re willing to give it time. Taxes are definitely high but they are not that different than anything else that will be within that commute to the city.

The 5 boroughs of NYC have significantly lower property tax rates.

doctorima

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:28 pm
cookies6 wrote:
The 5 boroughs of NYC have significantly lower property tax rates.

Yes, but you then have to pay city income taxes on top of state income taxes, so it somewhat balances out.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating