Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Snow and sick. I need chizuk and advice!

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:17 pm
My ds was home sick Friday. And still sick through Shabbos and Sunday. He was mostly better today, but home because of the 24 hour rule. So he was energetic and needing attention with some residual kvetch.

I am sick. I started feeling it last night. That was irrelevant today, of course. I figured I could rest tomorrow. But his school is already cancelled due to incoming weather, and likely my girls will be as well. From a logic perspective, I know if I push through for another day, I will likely get a secondary infection. From an emotional point of view, I'm spent.

No, dh can't stay home. Unless the roads are completely unpassable, he has to be at work on time. So not only will I not have help but will be shoveling. Help.

amother
Rose

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:34 pm
That is definitely a challenging situation. But workable..
1) if you take care of yourself first, it will be much easier to care for your kids
2) do what you need to keep everyone happy, even if it means treating yourselves in ways that you don’t usually allow
3) take a breather tonight. Go to bed early or get out a bit and shop for some activities for tomorrow.
You may just end up enjoying some chilled time with your kids:)
Refuah shleima!

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:42 pm
I feel you OP. Im also nervous for tomorrow. I'm pregnant, sick and dehydrated & im so nervous to be home alone with the kids.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:43 pm
Hire someone to shovel if your kids aren't old enough.

rowo

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:44 pm
It's days like that that modern technology was made for.
Take a slow, lazy day with your kids. Set them up with a video and go take a nap

SixOfWands

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:48 pm
amother wrote:
My ds was home sick Friday. And still sick through Shabbos and Sunday. He was mostly better today, but home because of the 24 hour rule. So he was energetic and needing attention with some residual kvetch.

I am sick. I started feeling it last night. That was irrelevant today, of course. I figured I could rest tomorrow. But his school is already cancelled due to incoming weather, and likely my girls will be as well. From a logic perspective, I know if I push through for another day, I will likely get a secondary infection. From an emotional point of view, I'm spent.

No, dh can't stay home. Unless the roads are completely unpassable, he has to be at work on time. So not only will I not have help but will be shoveling. Help.

I don't know where you live, but in NYC, if snowfall ends: Between 7 AM and 4:59 PM, sidewalks must be cleared within 4 hours. Between 5 PM and 8:59 PM, sidewalks must be cleared within 14 hours. So you don't need to shovel immediately.

Get someone to shovel for you if it needs to be done sooner.

Try to rest on the couch and let the kids play around you. Or let them watch videos even if you don't usually. Relax the standards.

sequoia

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:50 pm
How is it going to stick if the temperature is above 0C?

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:54 pm
amother wrote:

Maybe rent some videos to keep kids busy while you rest. Make super simple foods, and have some activities for kids to keep busy with -play dough, download coloring sheets, puzzles etc.

Torahtreasures has great videos to download for younger kids, and mostlymusic for older kids.

Definitely don’t shovel! Stay indoors and have chilled day. Ask your dh to shovel before or after work. Or hire a teen in your neighborhood.

Refuah Shleima!

Last edited by amother on Wed, Mar 13 2019, 3:15 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:25 pm
All great ideas.

I think I'm such a mess because in general, I need a certain amount if me time to just be, and I haven't had it. When I'm sick or very underslept, if I don't get an hour straight when nobody needs me, I start to fall apart. I yell at kids or make difficult requirements, because I just need to get away and have no demands on my mind. I started tonight already (dh was not available until later.) And tomorrow I have some kids who need to be consistently supervised. I can lie on the couch, but if I get asked a question or to look at something or open something every ten minutes, my mind will explode. I know I'll make it through somehow, but I don't know how to stay relatively positive while doing it.

shanarishona

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 12:15 am
Totally get you. I'm the same way. Sending chizuk!!!! I really feel for you!!!

amother
Black

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 12:20 am
I get you OP, I have a chronic illness and constant noise/lol around makes me crash more.
Plus I have a stomach virus & dh is away this week for work.
I am really sick but too sick to sleep.
Yes my kids prob will watch too much tomorrow.
What can I do?
I hope your day doesn't get too difficult & that you feel better
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics