Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Shabbat hosting if looking to try out a new community
Previous  1  2

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:04 pm
nachlaot wrote:
we absolutely want to find this out in advance one way or another! I guess my question is whether it's rude to bring up saturday night, or if it's typically something that hosts are fine with.

Definitely ask, but before Friday.

tichellady

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:09 pm
nachlaot wrote:
we absolutely want to find this out in advance one way or another! I guess my question is whether it's rude to bring up saturday night, or if it's typically something that hosts are fine with.

Not rude to ask but agree that you should ask.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 8:50 pm
I think it’s a great idea to email the shul/rabbi of the communities you’re interested in - they will usually put you in touch with someone who will help arrange for hosting and meals for Shabbat. I think it would be strange to ask to host for Saturday night too. The reason people host for Shabbat is so that you can see and get a feel for the community on Shabbat. Any other day you can get a hotel and drive over to look at the community again. If someone who I was hosting for Shabbat asked me directly if they could stay Saturday night too, I would probably feel uncomfortable saying no because I’d assume that they don’t have enough money for a hotel room. I don’t think staying Saturday night is customary anywhere, at least in my circles.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:20 pm
amother wrote:
I think it’s a great idea to email the shul/rabbi of the communities you’re interested in - they will usually put you in touch with someone who will help arrange for hosting and meals for Shabbat. I think it would be strange to ask to host for Saturday night too. The reason people host for Shabbat is so that you can see and get a feel for the community on Shabbat. Any other day you can get a hotel and drive over to look at the community again. If someone who I was hosting for Shabbat asked me directly if they could stay Saturday night too, I would probably feel uncomfortable saying no because I’d assume that they don’t have enough money for a hotel room. I don’t think staying Saturday night is customary anywhere, at least in my circles.

It’s perfdctly fine in my neighborhood, as long as you ask before you come on Friday. It should be arranged before you get there.

shanie5

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:45 pm
Acceptable here too. Just make sure to ask/confirm beforehand.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics