Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
10 yr old dryer: worth to repair?

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:49 pm
My dryer stopped working. One load it work and the next load it did not. Just like that. So we are weighing if it's worth it to call down a repairman, which is gonna cost about $75- 100 dollars, if not more, just for the visit. I don't want to pay that just for him to say that it's dead. I can just get a new one to begin with and save a $100

From your experiences, were you able to 'revive' a 10 yo machine? It's the old fashioned kind, not the one that looks like the front loader wash machine.

mom2be1

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:56 pm
Maybe try to clean the vents first.

BetsyTacy

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:58 pm
I revived one a lot older than that. Dryers are much hardier than washers, with much fewer moving parts. I think mine was an ignition problem. It is bli ayin harah, still going strong many years later.

isrmss91

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:04 pm
Try repairing it first. Older machine were made much better. Wish I saved my old washer & dryer when I moved. the ones they make now, are junk. Even the repairmen will tell you that.

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:07 pm
If you can narrow down what's wrong, try googling to see if there's a possible simple solution. We have ordered and changed many parts on appliances on our own, which definitely helped extend their lives without spending a lot of money on service calls.

cm

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:08 pm
It might be a broken belt, or another very straightforward repair. It's worth it to get a repair estimate before replacing a dryer. They are fairly simple machines that can last a long time

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:11 pm
My repair guy will often ask me to test something out before he comes down and tells me this is going to cost minimum x, decide if you want me to come down or buy new.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:07 pm
I just replaced my almost 8 yr old dryer. The part that went costed $160 and this was the 3rd repair in less than a year. The repairman also felt like the motor was going to go very soon. Both the repairman and appliance store both told me that appliances today are only meant to last 10 years.

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:17 pm
amother wrote:
I just replaced my almost 8 yr old dryer. The part that went costed $160 and this was the 3rd repair in less than a year. The repairman also felt like the motor was going to go very soon. Both the repairman and appliance store both told me that appliances today are only meant to last 10 years.

This is what I'm afraid. It could cost of 100 for the visit and 160 for the part, or I can get a new one for $300- 400 (floor sample from an acquaintance's store). My sister can give me her fairly new one for less. But I'm hesitant because maybe it's just a little thing that can be fixed for little $

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:20 pm
ra_mom wrote:
My repair guy will often ask me to test something out before he comes down and tells me this is going to cost minimum x, decide if you want me to come down or buy new.

I guess I'll do this. I hope the repairman will be as helpfull on the phone as yours

amother
Copper

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:23 pm
cm wrote:
It might be a broken belt, or another very straightforward repair. It's worth it to get a repair estimate before replacing a dryer. They are fairly simple machines that can last a long time

That's the thing. If I end up replacing, it will feel like I wasted a lot just for the verdict...

Pickle1

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:26 pm
I work appliance repair. get this question daily. if the dryer is totally dead - 1st double check the outlet (believe it or not many times its just the fuse) if you don't hear anything at all - its NOT belt/rollers/pulley/igniter/thermal fuse/gas valve coils - because those bring on other symptoms like no heat,noises, or not tumbling just humming.
it's one of 2 things. either a bad door switch (dryer doesn't register that u closed the door) or its a bad motor. door switch- u can repair urself if ur handy the piece is like $5. if its the motor dump the dryer.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:43 pm
I would call a repair man first before buying a new one. You can’t compare the old washer/dryers to the newer ones.

Teomima

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 5:27 am
I second amother linen. If you can figure out what it is, and if it's not the motor, dryer repairs actually are not that hard to do yourself. I've fixed up my own a couple of times. If you can narrow it down to find the malfunctioning part, you can order it online and fix it yourself for a fraction of the cost of a repairman.

If, however, it's the motor, I'd probably be grateful I got ten years and buy a new machine. Appliances aren't made to last anymore.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry