Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling
Homeschooling group
1  2  Next

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:05 am
Let’s make a small classroom together

If you have a daughter(s) between the ages of 7-8 and are looking for another option to their current school... let’s talk.

I am looking to combine about 7-9 kids and create our own personalized home schooling style education program.

Benefits:
Personalized warm teaching environment
Professional teacher
No school drama or bureaucracy
Low tuition based on actual costs, not profit driven.
Brooklyn area
You can use the contact form or email to get in touch: homeschooled123abc@gmail.com

dankbar

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:33 am
Irl or virtual?

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:42 am
My son is home long time due to illness and then because of measles outbreak. Kids this age need school. He is going bezerk from being home so long. Whenever we tried teaching from home, it doesn't work so well because he is not in the school system & structure & not so interested.

I know someone who moved to an area where it's hard to get accepted into school. She has her dgtr home for a long while already & supposedly homeschooling. This kid is also going crazy already & becoming socially awkward among her peers.

Please reconsider especially in Brooklyn where the norm is that kids this age go to school.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:56 am
I STRONGLY disagree with Beige. Homeschooling does not mean just keep kids in the house without peers or stimulation and allow them to climb the walls. Homeschooling can be an amazing option if you put real effort into making sure your child gets what he needs.
That being said, I don't think what OP is proposing is legal in NY. If you are registered as a homeschooler, you are supposed to teach your child yourself, not hire a teacher. This would only work if you officially become a tiny private school. Please check yourself because my information might be outdated, but just be careful.

dankbar

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:11 am
You really need to be dedicated & devote those school hours to really fully teach your child then with a full program just like you would be a teacher working out of the home then for it to work I think

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:13 am
I don't think homeschooling has to be you. I was sent a home instructor from Board of Ed, a public school teacher after school hours, when my child couldn't go to school because of illness. I'm in Brooklyn.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:19 am
Was your child officially enrolled in public school, or was he considered homeschooled? Again, I am not an expert, just be careful.

Rappel

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:28 am
amother wrote:
Was your child officially enrolled in public school, or was he considered homeschooled? Again, I am not an expert, just be careful.

http://www.p12.nysed.gov/sss/h......html

"Parents may engage the services of a tutor to provide instruction for all or a portion of the home instruction program."

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:29 am
No he was not enrolled in public school. He was enrolled in cheder. As soon as he went back, she stopped the homeschooling. In NY you must be educated but you cannot have both. If you go to regular school you can't get home instruction. If you don't attend school you must get home instruction.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:31 am
Again, home instruction is not homeschooling. Please do your research before forming a group.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:37 am
http://www.nyc.gov/html/acs/ed......html

dankbar

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:39 am
So many instructions & rules omg

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 10:57 am
It runs like school year from Sep to June

dankbar

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 11:07 am
I know someone who was trying to save money on summer daycamp. She had 3 little girls home. I asked her what her program is.
One day shopping at supermarket for shabbos. One day dentist appointment. One day haircut appointments. One day longer bath together instead of swimming pool. Some coloring.

Lo & behold after a week she was fed up of keeping them home & sent them.

In order for such things to work you have to provide for them, what they would otherwise get in these hours at school or daycamp.

Kids are not interested in doing mommy stuff all day. Moms that could be like a teacher during school hours are fine but moms that want to do mommy stuff when they are home, it becomes a clash of interest.

Also the social part. If everyone in community is being homeschooled then they are all in same level of social interaction...but if all your neighbors are going to reg school....

sarahmalka

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:50 pm
OP I am not homeschooling but I just wanted to give you props for doing it. I know some successful homeschoolers and some not. For many people it works well! Especially if they have friends nearby (or online programs) to keep them on track and provide a social life. I disagree that homeschooled children have social problems. Now, "unschooled" on the other hand.... can of worms and the kids I've seen in that community have bad social issues as well as the parents.

Rappel

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:55 pm
I wish OP were in my area, or that I had kids her age. Hatzlacha!

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:11 pm
I tried to homeschool my son for secular studies when he quit his in cheder. Together with a friend of his. It didn't work. I tried making it exciting, creative diff ways.

I was a massive teacher in a classroom.

When I tried with my kids at home it's not the same...theyre not interested I should be their teacher

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:56 pm
dankbar wrote:
I know someone who was trying to save money on summer daycamp. She had 3 little girls home. I asked her what her program is.
One day shopping at supermarket for shabbos. One day dentist appointment. One day haircut appointments. One day longer bath together instead of swimming pool. Some coloring.

In order for such things to work you have to provide for them, what they would otherwise get in these hours at school or daycamp.

Kids are not interested in doing mommy stuff all day. Moms that could be like a teacher during school hours are fine but moms that want to do mommy stuff when they are home, it becomes a clash of interest.

Also the social part. If everyone in community is being homeschooled then they are all in same level of social interaction...but if all your neighbors are going to reg school....

This is not appropriate homeschooling. I have a friend who home schools her 7 year old. She has 3 hours of school a day and 1 hour of extracurricular (Harp, art or photography depending on the day) and one hour of exercise. Once every two weeks there is a field trip to a museum or other appropriate location and other homeschoolers sometimes join. She has a curriculum and her child is constantly assessed and tested. She may do work in pajamas some days, but she is working.. as hard as if she was in school. She also attends after school programs three times a week (girl scouts and gymnastics) to interact with other girls and has playdates.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:01 am; edited 1 time in total

JessicaR

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:56 pm
Op can you please do this in my area?!

Raisin

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 6:24 am
dankbar wrote:

staying at home instead of day camp is not the same as homeschooling.

Many mothers keep kids home and do things with them. Park, beach, kids museum, library, etc plus art activities at home, maybe a kiddie pool.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Homeschooling