Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Some interesting things I've been thinking about or heard

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:00 pm
(At least I think they are interesting)

Please comment or add your own.

On light
Hashem looked into the "oraisa" to create the world. Shoresh "ohr" - light. Look at how much artificial light there has been since the industrial revolution - the 600th year of the 6th millenium when the well springs of knowledge opened up. Street lamps. Electric light. Traffic lights. Neon. Halogen. LED. Computer screens. Phone screens. Everywhere there is more artificial light. As we descend into the darkest darkness of golus. Or is it the light of Moshiach beginning to emerge?

On choice
Enter any supermarket. Or website. The choices available are so huge. 17 (random number ) different types of milk you can buy. Cow. Goat. Fat free. 1%. 2.%. Full cream. Extra creamy. A2. Lactose free. Jersey. Non homogenised. Various sizes. Flavored.
So much choice. And yet, it is not as it seems. Because we have only one choice in this world. Yiras Shamayim. The rest is but a mere illusion.

Being close to G-D
Don't be fooled by this thread though. One does not become close to G-D by contemplation. To be close to.G-D means to "be similar" to Him. Hashem made the world solely to give to us. To be close to G-D one must be a giver (from R Aryeh Kaplan).

Hakol bara lickvodo.
V'ain od milvado.

(I have more but that'll do for now)

groisamomma

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:10 pm
This thread is reminiscent of the Binah magazine. I could never see the connection from one thing to the other. But maybe that's just me.

Cheiny

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:10 pm
amother wrote:
(At least I think they are interesting)

Please comment or add your own.

On light
Hashem looked into the "oraisa" to create the world. Shoresh "ohr" - light. Look at how much artificial light there has been since the industrial revolution - the 600th year of the 6th millenium when the well springs of knowledge opened up. Street lamps. Electric light. Traffic lights. Neon. Halogen. LED. Computer screens. Phone screens. Everywhere there is more artificial light. As we descend into the darkest darkness of golus. Or is it the light of Moshiach beginning to emerge?

On choice
Enter any supermarket. Or website. The choices available are so huge. 17 (random number ) different types of milk you can buy. Cow. Goat. Fat free. 1%. 2.%. Full cream. Extra creamy. A2. Lactose free. Jersey. Non homogenised. Various sizes. Flavored.
So much choice. And yet, it is not as it seems. Because we have only one choice in this world. Yiras Shamayim. The rest is but a mere illusion.

Being close to G-D
Don't be fooled by this thread though. One does not become close to G-D by contemplation. To be close to.G-D means to "be similar" to Him. Hashem made the world solely to give to us. To be close to G-D one must be a giver (from R Aryeh Kaplan).

Hakol bara lickvodo.
V'ain od milvado.

(I have more but that'll do for now)

Wow, all so thought provoking! Love your post.

aliavi

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:14 pm
Beautiful imagery!

Fox

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:21 pm
Love this, Babypink! Keep it coming!

ectomorph

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 7:26 pm
Op I loved your post!!

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 9:39 pm
(buoyed by the positive feedback, here is a little more, although my words are not flowing as freely this time)

More about the illusion of choice and control

When we press a button that switches something on or off, it is just another example of the illusion of control. Whether the light is on or off is only in our control if it involves a choice about yiras shamayim. The computer age is increasing this illusion more and more. We "control" light. We "control" our computer. But in fact we control none of these things.

The illusion of control is another example of the hester panim becoming even deeper and more darkly hidden in the world. If we know that Hashem runs the world, we understand that all of the advances in technology are a gift from Him. But unfortunately it is Oh So Easy to make the terrible mistake that it is man on his own. Ruling and Controlling.

A mundane example. Weather forecasting. Hashem is letting us know the weather just a little more ahead of time now. But with not quite as much accuracy as we think. When the weather man says "60% chance of rain", what is actually being said is "we don't know if it will rain or not". And we really can't control it either.

More serious example - IVF. That baby is only getting born of Hashem will it. And your birth control, indeed every medicine, only works if Hashem wills it.

Go take a look at the videos of Mission Control during the space shuttle disasters. It is called mission control. But if you watch carefully, you will see that they could see what was unfolding in the mission, but they could control nothing.

If it's not about yiras shamayim, it's always like that.

The face of G-D is so well hidden we think we are in charge of everything. This is why the world is an illusion.

But on the other hand... This is the way Hashem wants it. That His power, His Glory, His Kavod- will be revealed through us. And only through us.

Ki hakol bara lichvodo.
V'ain od milvado.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 11:08 pm
Can I add?

So many choices. I can walk into a corner grocery and be completely overwhelmed if I don't know what I had come in for.

1) great reminder that I'm not the only one in the world and their are so many different preferences and perspectives. Who am I to judge anyone for anything? Yet, I do anyways. I know not to judge, yet I can't control the feeling from coming up. That is a lesson in humility.

2) reminder to do everything with preparation and intention. If I don't intend, I can forget why I'm here. I can start out going shopping for bread, and buy everything but then loaf of bread. Same for doing service of HaShem. I can start out doing a mitzva and then find myself having spent my energy doing everything but what I had set out to do. But if I maintain intention and mindfulness, I have a much greater chance of success all around.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 11:15 pm
Thank you Brown! That was wonderful about the connection between choice and perspective and choice and purpose.

I have never thought about it quite like that.

Truly wonderful.

And again-

Hakol bara lichvodo.
V'ain od milvado.

elisheva25

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 9:16 am
groisamomma wrote:
This thread is reminiscent of the Binah magazine. I could never see the connection from one thing to the other. But maybe that's just me.

Me 2!!! Me 2!!!
I can never read Binah for that reason ! I never undertand their way of writting!!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics