Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Making Pesach for first time-- what do I need? In advance
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Sebastian

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:05 pm
I find it's hard to store so many reusables and it's expensive to buy EVERYTHING the first year. You are only using the dishes/silverware etc. for a few days. Each year I buy a few new things but the list I gave you were the basics I started with.

lovetobemommy

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:10 pm
I cover my counter with linoleum, neat clean and I can put away for next year! It's so much easier to work with then those plastic cover or aluminum foil, I love it!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:16 pm
princessleah wrote:
Thank you all so much! I forgot important thing like hot water urn and hot plate.
I’m planning on kashering my oven, stove and microwave. We’re not really having company, maybe my in laws and that’s it.

Is it not better to buy permanent stuff now vs. disposable so that way I’ll have it forever?

It can be quite overwhelming to pack everything up properly after pesach to put away for the year, and then unpack it all again next year for pesach (and rearranging everything in the kitchen to make room to "move in" the pesach stuff).

You're better off buying what you need to cook with, not buying major cooking prep appliances (unless you use something on a daily basis, maybe for you that's a compact hand blender), just appliances that you need for shabbos heating, and real cutlery.

Just use disposable pans for oven baking, and disposable papergoods for eating (with real silverware), and after your first pesach, you'll know more about how much space and energy you have for more "stuff".

Last edited by ra_mom on Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:21 pm; edited 2 times in total

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:18 pm
princessleah wrote:
I would love this, thank you so much!

I have the list. Now how do I get it to you? I don't think I can PM it.

You can PM an email if you like. The list pretty pretty good.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:24 pm
This should get you started.

Paper goods: plates, bowls, cups, cutlery, napkins, paper towels, tissues, aluminum pans, containers, tablecloths, pre-cut foil, parchment paper, long candles, candle holders, wicks, 2-3 day yartzeit candles, bedikas chometz supplies, toothpics, dish soap, sponges, steel wool, sink strainers, refrigerator liners, counter shelf table liners, tape

Meats: roast, chicken, bones (for mains, chicken soup, cholent, zroah)

Matza: whole, shvarim, matza meal

Wine: grape juice and wine

Baking: sugar, vanilla, cocoa, chocolate chips, brown sugar, ground almonds, walnut pieces (for charoses), potato starch, confectioner's sugar, baking powder or soda, cinnamon (for baking and charoses)

Groceries: salt, spices, lemon juice, olive oil, baking oil, ketchup, mayo, sauce, coffee, pickles, quinoa

Snacks: gum, chips, cake/cookies/crackers, chocolate

Dairy: milk, cheese snack, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese, cream cheese/butter

Refrigerator: eggs, dips, orange juice

Freezer: frozen veggies, frozen garlic cubes

Fish: gefilte, salmon

Produce: potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, onions, garlic, zucchini, salad veggies, marror lettuce, dill for soup, apples, oranges, bananas and other fruits, avocadoes, parsnips, beets, kohlrabi, marror horseradish (for grinding)

Beverages: water, apple juice, seltzer, soda, apple juice box drinks, water bottles (trips)

Baby & Pharmacy: diapers, baby wipes, bottles/pacifiers, toothbrushes, forward

Baking with a bowl and a spoon
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....80938

esther36

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 7:53 pm
Someone gave me this advice the first year I made pesach and it was very helpful! I only got a handmixer, braun, Crock-Pot, cutlery, glasses and some basic pots and pans. I specifically only used disposable dishes (and still do) and loads of disposable pans for lack of storage space and for easier cleanup.

tichellady

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:10 pm
princessleah wrote:
Thank you all so much! I forgot important thing like hot water urn and hot plate.
I’m planning on kashering my oven, stove and microwave. We’re not really having company, maybe my in laws and that’s it.

Is it not better to buy permanent stuff now vs. disposable so that way I’ll have it forever?

You likely don’t need a new urn or hot plate. Ask your rabbi

forgetit

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 9:23 pm
1. I use large toaster/convection oven (option of fitting one or 2 9x13 pans) and electric burner (available in single/double) so that I don't have to do more than a perfunctory clean on stovetop and oven. It also gives me a ton of counter space since I cover counters wall to wall--including the stovetop.
2. To keep things organized (especially small things like cutlery and disposables) you can buy one of those large, freestanding plastic set of drawers. For bigger items use freestanding shelves. This means you don't have to empty cabinets and can put things into storage as is (not so much packing up in boxes after Pesach).
Good Luck:)

princessleah

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 10:51 am
Forgive my ignorance, I haven't bought pots/pans in a long time.
I found a set on amazon that comes with 4 pots, 2 frying pans and a spatula, mixing spoon, ladle, pasta spoon and slotted spoon: $50
Is that a good price?

princessleah

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 10:52 am
And to clarify: It's just 4 of us. Plus maybe a mother in law and father in law. Not a big crowd. We have a big storage area in the basement so I'm not worried about that.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 10:58 am
princessleah wrote:
I found a set on amazon that comes with 4 pots, 2 frying pans and a spatula, mixing spoon, ladle, pasta spoon and slotted spoon: $50
Is that a good price?

That's very cheap, but what's the quality? IMNSHO, you don't need the same quality for Pesach that you need year-round -- its only 8 days -- but you also don't want too flimsy.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 11:00 am
forgetit wrote:
1. I use large toaster/convection oven (option of fitting one or 2 9x13 pans) and electric burner (available in single/double) so that I don't have to do more than a perfunctory clean on stovetop and oven. It also gives me a ton of counter space since I cover counters wall to wall--including the stovetop.
2. To keep things organized (especially small things like cutlery and disposables) you can buy one of those large, freestanding plastic set of drawers. For bigger items use freestanding shelves. This means you don't have to empty cabinets and can put things into storage as is (not so much packing up in boxes after Pesach).
Good Luck:)

Oooooohhhhhh. Never thought of the drawers. I've been using the shelves since our first apartment, where the cabinets were disgusting. And I'd bet I can store lots of stuff in there for next year as well. Thanks.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 12:03 pm
princessleah wrote:
Is that a good price?

Make sure it's good quality. It might only be for a few days, but you'll be cooking more than usual and you won't have alternatives to use if the food doesn't cook evenly.

princessleah

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 5:00 pm
You all scared me off from that set!
Now I found a T-fal brand with 3 pots, 2 pans and a griddle for $62!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 5:03 pm
princessleah wrote:
You all scared me off from that set!
Now I found a T-fal brand with 3 pots, 2 pans and a griddle for $62!

Good move to buy from a brand you have experience with!

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 6:20 pm
This is simpler than you are making it. Do this:

1. Over the next week or two, take note of what equipment you use. Another imamother may feel that a lemon rasper is a critical item, but if you don't use one during the year, you don't need it for pesach, even if I can't imagine life without it.

2. I wouldn't buy things that are not of decent quality. You will hate them whenever you use them, and they will break when you least expect it. Pesach is hard enough.

3. Use disposable pans as much as possible, and for the 1st year get pretty disposable dishes but real flatware.

4. It will be fine.

princessleah

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 8:42 pm
Thank you for helping me everyone! I’m not really freaking out just want to be prepared. We’re coming home from first days on Monday night and I just want to make sure I have everything I need.
Definitely will need lemon zester (“rasper”) because I love making lemon meringue pie!

amother
Powderblue

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 9:00 pm
princessleah wrote:
Thank you for helping me everyone! I’m not really freaking out just want to be prepared. We’re coming home from first days on Monday night and I just want to make sure I have everything I need.
Definitely will need lemon zester (“rasper”) because I love making lemon meringue pie!

Me too. Smile That's actually why I mentioned it. You will do fine. I promise.

princessleah

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 9:59 am
I'm bumping up my thread with an update:
I purchased pots/pans, a combination whipper/immersion blender/mixer, cutting boards, knives, kitchen tools, tupperwares, mixing bowls, springform pan, counter liners, burner covers, tablecloth. My mother gave me dishes and glasses.

I think I'm good? Am I forgetting anything? This is only for second days.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 10 2019, 10:30 am
princessleah wrote:
I'm bumping up my thread with an update:
I purchased pots/pans, a combination whipper/immersion blender/mixer, cutting boards, knives, kitchen tools, tupperwares, mixing bowls, springform pan, counter liners, burner covers, tablecloth. My mother gave me dishes and glasses.

I think I'm good? Am I forgetting anything? This is only for second days.

Looks good. Do you have something to warm food on YT? A way to get hot water? Coffee mug? Cutlery.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics