Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Choosing between Heichal Hatorah and MTA
1  2  3  Next

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 3:55 pm
If you were considering these applying to both schools, or your son was accepted to both, how did you and/or your son decide which to apply to or choose?

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 4:02 pm
I applied to different yeshivas. I made a list of the positive and negative attributes of each yeshiva. I also took into consideration the place my son would have more friends attending.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 4:32 pm
amother wrote:
I applied to different yeshivas. I made a list of the positive and negative attributes of each yeshiva. I also took into consideration the place my son would have more friends attending.

Thanks for your response. I have and am considering these important points. But I'd especially appreciate responses specifically from people who have considered both schools and who can share which they chose, or even if they chose another school.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 6:22 pm
I considered both. After I was warned off by someone on the faculty of one school, the choice was easy.

There is no way to explain this publicly.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 6:43 pm
It depends on what is important to you and what you are looking for. They each have different areas in which they are stronger. What are the things that are most important to you, and in which place will he get it.

A few that I have observed is Hiechal has great Rebeim and as it is a smaller school the boys get a great deal of individual attention. MTA is a bigger school and boys can get lost, MTA also has a much wider variety of observance within the student body. This can be seen as positive or negative depending on what your needs are. MTA has a better structured sports and extra circular program, if athletics are important. Hiechal does offer some team sports and extra circular programs as well.

Perhaps figure out what is important to you in a school and then figure out which school is strong in that point.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 6:45 pm
amother wrote:
I considered both. After I was warned off by someone on the faculty of one school, the choice was easy.

There is no way to explain this publicly.

amother beige, was the person who warned you off on the faculty of one of the schools I named, or on the faculty of another school, like the one your son was attending then? I understand if you feel you can't be more specific.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 7:38 pm
amother wrote:
amother beige, was the person who warned you off on the faculty of one of the schools I named, or on the faculty of another school, like the one your son was attending then? I understand if you feel you can't be more specific.

He is on the faculty of the school that I didn't send to. His information is good. I verified it with some parents. The problem still exists.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 7:54 pm
amother wrote:
He is on the faculty of the school that I didn't send to. His information is good. I verified it with some parents. The problem still exists.

That is concerning. I would appreciate any further information you feel comfortable sharing here.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 7:57 pm
amother wrote:
It depends on what is important to you and what you are looking for. They each have different areas in which they are stronger. What are the things that are most important to you, and in which place will he get it.

A few that I have observed is Hiechal has great Rebeim and as it is a smaller school the boys get a great deal of individual attention. MTA is a bigger school and boys can get lost, MTA also has a much wider variety of observance within the student body. This can be seen as positive or negative depending on what your needs are. MTA has a better structured sports and extra circular program, if athletics are important. Hiechal does offer some team sports and extra circular programs as well.

Perhaps figure out what is important to you in a school and then figure out which school is strong in that point.

Those are good points. How do MTA and Heichal compare academically with respect to the secular courses that they both offer? How does the level of learning compare?

Maya

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 8:03 pm
amother wrote:
Those are good points. How do MTA and Heichal compare academically with respect to the secular courses that they both offer? How does the level of learning compare?

From what I heard from people who sent there, it seems that Heichal is on a lower academic level in general studies, and they are more religiously right wing.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 8:06 pm
amother wrote:
That is concerning. I would appreciate any further information you feel comfortable sharing here.

I can't. I am sorry. The information is concerning and damaging to the students. It is the one area I can't compromise on.

As far as the learning: Heichel and MTA had a Torah Bowl last year. MTA did not score any points. Heichel scored all.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 8:12 pm
amother wrote:
I can't. I am sorry. The information is concerning and damaging to the students. It is the one area I can't compromise on.

As far as the learning: Heichel and MTA had a Torah Bowl last year. MTA did not score any points. Heichel scored all.

Kind of random. Lots of boys, especially in the top shiur, take their learning seriously at MTA.

And also apparently untrue:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/w.....t=amp

MTA won against Heichal 34-3.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 8:19 pm
amother wrote:
Kind of random. Lots of boys, especially in the top shiur, take their learning seriously at MTA.

And also apparently untrue:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/w.....t=amp

MTA won against Heichal 34-3.

What can I tell you?

What year was that article?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 8:23 pm
Maya wrote:
From what I heard from people who sent there, it seems that Heichal is on a lower academic level in general studies, and they are more religiously right wing.

I think you are right about the boys being more religiously right wing in heichel. But they aren't so RW.

I am not so sure that heichel is still on a lower level. I heard the opposite by boys who didn't want the challenge of heichel. They went to MTA because it is easier. OP ask the schools.

Maya

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 8:44 pm
amother wrote:
I think you are right about the boys being more religiously right wing in heichel. But they aren't so RW.

It’s all relative. I think that being to the right of MTA makes them pretty RW.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 9:00 pm
Maya wrote:
It’s all relative. I think that being to the right of MTA makes them pretty RW.

I don't know. I would say the student body as a whole is modern. Being to the right of MTA is hardly RW.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 9:34 pm
amother wrote:

Heichal tries to be competitive with MTA in regard to their secular courses and they aim to hire a excellent teachers. The level of learning is high. I wouldn't say it was higher in Hiechal than in MTA as there is a group of strong learners in MTA. MTA the level varies more as they have a larger and more diverse student body. In Hiechal as it is small they try and accommodate the boys level and have them in a shuir with boys of a similar level.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 4:40 am
amother wrote:
Heichal tries to be competitive with MTA in regard to their secular courses and they aim to hire a excellent teachers. The level of learning is high. I wouldn't say it was higher in Hiechal than in MTA as there is a group of strong learners in MTA. MTA the level varies more as they have a larger and more diverse student body. In Hiechal as it is small they try and accommodate the boys level and have them in a shuir with boys of a similar level.

From what I understand, MTA accommodates boys with LDs. They have resources for those that have special situations.

I think Heichel is more like TABC which was our first choice.

Two boys I know choose MTA because they didn't want to work harder at Heichel. But I am back to my original point of asking the Rosh Yeshivahs.

OP if you want to find a way that I can let you know what I was told by the faculty, I will tell you.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 5:20 am
MTA has a learning center and the Ptach program as possibilities for boys with LD and related issues. Also, many people have reported that the experience in MTA can be very tied to which shiur you are in. Essentially, MTA has the advantages and disadvantages of a large school. Lots of extracurriculars, ability to take YU classes as seniors, etc, but lack of personalization and a large, diverse student body including boys in a dorm.

I would say that Heichal is what is often called Right Wing Modern Orthodox. If you know NJ elementary schools, when they opened, they were aiming for the right wing YNJ type. MTA has these types of boys too, but among many others. Heichal is also more modeled after a mesivta model (as it would be expressed in the RWMO world) than MTA, which is much more a day school.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 5:32 am
I agree that the experience at MTA is at least somewhat dependent on the shiur and secular studies track. I have one son who graduated from MTA and another still there. They were both in the highest shiur and highest track for secular studies, took AP classes, and after learning in Israel, plan to go to the YU honors program. The boys in their track tend to go to KBY and Shalavim. They are serious students and serious learners, and so are their friends. They have had a wonderful high school experience. They really love their rebbeim and teachers and have a great group of friends.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics