Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Ur experience with IKEA furniture

amother

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 8:51 am
I need to but inexpensive goods such as a sofa,kitchen cabinets,coffee table & more.
I want to do Ikea but some people say it is bad quality that will break right away.
what is ur experiecnce with Ikea?

loveit

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 8:59 am
we have bought things like coffee tables from IKEA and they were fine, but they won't last through a move from one house to another (DH calls it disposable college furniture for that reason). We had also looked at sofas there and realized that it wasn't worth it. YOu can get better quality couches at places like Macy's when they are having a sale because the prices on IKEA couches aren't anything spectacular and they are definitely not made as well. I think it's better to spend the time looking around for sales and exploring your options, you can get ready made cabinets for less than custom, etc.

I think IKEA is great for dorm rooms, childrens rooms, and such because it won't matter if the furniture hold up since the children or teens will likely want something different after a while.

technic

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 9:07 am
mixed quality - they do different ranges...weve used them for several cupboards and chairs....u have 2 b prepared 4 the "ikea shopping experience" tho, which is prob the closest ull get 2 gehennom on earth!!! Twisted Evil

Clarissa

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 9:08 am
We have Ikea kitchen cabinets and have been happy with them. We didn't want to spend too much on kitchen renovation, as we are renters. They're not the best quality stuff out there, but they look fine and have held up well. At this point some of the paint in the corners of a couple of the drawers has chipped off a little, but they're a little over nine years old, so I'm not surprised that they're a little worn.

We have Ikea bookcases in our living room and hallway and they've held up beautifully. Yes, they're not the most solid bookcases out there, but you really wouldn't know by looking at ours. I've had the living room ones for over 15 years. We did have one hallway one that we had to replace because it started to weaken after about 15 years, but we replaced it with another Ikea.

My bedroom dressers are also Ikea. They look good but I'm not wild about the structural quality of the drawers. Still, they've worked out, also for many years. Even though they look fine after many years, I'm not wild about them, because of the drawers.

Also Ikea here are my baby dressers and the lamps in my kids' room, and I've been happy with both.

As you can see, I've bought a lot of Ikea over the years. Some stuff has done better than others, but it's within my budget.

(forgot to mention that we always buy our wineglasses there. They're cheap, but also cheaply replaced. Also good are lots of other little items -- this little drawer thingie we use for hardware, wrapping paper, toy baskets, magazine holders, drawer inserts for spices, silverware, etc. Guess I've bought a lot of stuff there)

loveit

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 9:27 am
technic wrote:
mixed quality - they do different ranges...weve used them for several cupboards and chairs....u have 2 b prepared 4 the "ikea shopping experience" tho, which is prob the closest ull get 2 gehennom on earth!!! Twisted Evil

lol, I completely agree!! It is quite overwhelming and I usually end feeling like I want to leave, don't care about what I picked out, don't feel it's worth it and would rather go to Macy's where at least it's comfy!

mimsy7420

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 9:29 am
Certain things are fine from IKEA such as bookshelves, tv stands, lamps, end table or coffee table or cupboards with no drawers. I find anything with a drawer from IKEA is not likely to last - such as a dresser.
I have IKEA glasses which are so cheap, but I like them because I know I can always buy more as they break.
Also my kitchen table and chairs are from IKEA - the whole set was $150 - you can't do better then that!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 2:30 pm
All pressed board is about the same. You can’t beat wood.

Atali

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 7:22 pm
I recommend buying used furniture from Craigslist or Ebay, you can get better quality for half the price.

Maya

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 7:25 pm
We bought a computer table with a hutch from IKEA, and are very happy with it. We dont' need the best quality because it's temporary, but it's great now.

But yeah, the shopping experience is horrible. Too complicated, and all that waiting to get the furniture after checkout is crazy.

zigi

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 7:38 pm
they have a very good solid wood table it was 200$ they also have solid wood chairs that were 20$ they have to be put together with an electric drill to be really strong. our couch is in good condition we got it for 400$. we had everything for 5 years

amother

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 8:10 pm
(An Ikea story)(I assembled it myself Banging head )

I shared a cab to Netanya (which has the Israeli Ikea branch) with a family friend, a grandfather, and we were talking about how large families manage to find enough names for their children, particularly when each child has two or three.

He suggested that using Ikea product names might help.

I said - only if you wanted each kid to have no vowels - and a screw missing Exclamation

Barbara

Post Thu, Oct 25 2007, 11:05 pm
Like most stores, Ikea has things that are high quality, and things that are low quality.

I have a set of Ikea shelves in my hallway that are more than 20 years old, have moved several times, and look like they just came off the furniture showroom floor. Each indidual shelf is 3/4" thick and quite heavy. Other shelving units I've seen there, OTOH, have been pure junk.

Most of my Pesach things are from Ikea. I'm rather fond of the cookware and the knives. I can't say how it would hold up to daily use, but for 8 days a year, its likely to last a lifetime.

Of course, I rather enjoy wandering through Ikea, particularly the market section on the first floor.

Helani

Post Fri, Oct 26 2007, 11:12 am
We have most of the furniture from IKEA (except the couch and kitchen cabinets). Everything lasted through two moves, and it's in a pretty decent shape. We bought everything with the idea that ones kids grow up we can get the real stuff, and meanwhile we don't have to obsess over every scratch. Some stuff, like bookshelves and bed I had even before I got married and it's still holding up 6+ years down the road. It also looks pretty nice.

yoyosma

Post Fri, Oct 26 2007, 1:57 pm
Ikea can be junk but who says they are inexpensive? The nicer quality stuff isnt cheap.
I also think you should check out Craigslist.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics