Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
S/O What field do you work in/major in.
Previous  1  2

What field do you work in/major in (best fit)
psychology, sociology, social work etc. or speech, OT, PT, etc.  
 26%  [ 39 ]
biology to work in medicine (MD, MD PhD, etc.) including dentists  
 4%  [ 7 ]
biology, ecology, hydrogeology or other biological science or chemistry, physics, biochemistry, astronomy, or other science major or computer science, data, programming, etc.  
 7%  [ 11 ]
nursing, teaching, special education, Jewish studies, etc.  
 26%  [ 39 ]
accounting, actuarial science, mathematics  
 10%  [ 16 ]
linguistics or a foreign language (Spanish, Greek, etc.), philosophy (not for law), anthropology, political science, or other humanity major  
 1%  [ 2 ]
engineering (aerospace, civil, mechanical, biological, etc.)  
 1%  [ 2 ]
agriculture, environmental resources, planning, architecture, etc.  
 2%  [ 3 ]
film, acting, dancing, sculpture, or other art  
 2%  [ 3 ]
business, economics, hotel service, real estate, etc. or marketing, nutrition, journalism, media, etc.  
 6%  [ 9 ]
law  
 4%  [ 6 ]
something entirely different that deserves its own category  
 7%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 148

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 2:46 pm
OP, are you trying to make people feel inferior for having a "typical frum" job?

From what I can see nurses and teachers work very very hard for low pay and nobody should be denigrated for going into either field.

Also, the world needs quite a lot of them.

And I guess you are aware that not everyone went to college, especially on a frum website, and might still (gasp) have interesting and fulfilling careers. I went to seminary so I guess I majored in Jewish education and that is what I work in.

Water Stones

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 4:34 pm
I’m a sahm and studying for accountant two-year degree online. I don’t want to work yet maybe for a long time, but I want to have education in something.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 4:34 pm
amother wrote:
OP, are you trying to make people feel inferior for having a "typical frum" job?

From what I can see nurses and teachers work very very hard for low pay and nobody should be denigrated for going into either field.

Also, the world needs quite a lot of them.

And I guess you are aware that not everyone went to college, especially on a frum website, and might still (gasp) have interesting and fulfilling careers. I went to seminary so I guess I majored in Jewish education and that is what I work in.

I cannot speak for OP but it is pretty clear this poll was simply to substantiate the information stated in the other thread. There is no such thing as an inferior human being or job. I'd be just as proud as my child who never stepped foot in college but followed his dream to be whatever as I would my child who would graduate from MIT and Oxford with multiple doctorates, as long as they are good people who respect others and themselves. I will always tell my children, however, that there options are not limited to what those around them and in school do, although while in school they should always try to be like everyone else and not stand out and respect everyone for their choices.

If you followed the other thread, you would see that there was discussion regarding the lack of information regarding other majors in frum schools or a lack of options in some frum universities such as Touro and TTI. Stern college, for example, which has many majors and is Modern Orthodox does not offer engineering, but students can partner up with Columbia and get a dual degree. I think this thread is about how "broad" frum majors and work options are rather than identifying one as better than the other, since no such thing exists IMO.

And BTW nurses and teachers should both be paid more. As should our military. Some countries do pay them well. Doctors should also be paid more. Even if teachers were paid $500,000 a year, I doubt I'd become one though, because that field/job does not interest me.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Dec 04 2020, 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total

tigerwife

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 5:12 pm
Most women I know who are nurses went on to study and become NPs.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 5:21 pm
My degree is in Liberal Arts. My work is kitchen and home design. Among your choices, architecture comes closest to what I do.

mha3484

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 5:35 pm
I majored in urban studies and public policy, worked as a paralegal and then switched to recruiting

yc

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 6:33 am
degree in computer science and I work as a programmer
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics