Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Compare mesivta

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 11:15 pm
Info on tiferes elimelech, varetzki, novominsk, the cheder, chsan sofer, torah temima, vyelipol, mir how do they compare? What's the best fit for heimishe boy? How is tuition in each?

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 11:26 pm
First apply to few and see where he gets accepted! Novominsk is hardest to get in I think. Very large classes mostly siblings or kids of alumni, little more fancy Hungarian has some streimels
My son went to vyelipol it was great for him. Strong learning some of it optional for those who were up to more, middle of the road heimish. Plenty streimels
Veretzky more Flatbush but has few streimels
Don’t think Torah temima, mir or tiferes elimelech has too many heimish
I’m really no expert and not in any yeshivos right now so please feel free to correct me or disagree
Don’t know anything about tuition

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 11:28 pm
Didn’t know the cheer has mesivta
Very frim has some heimish
Again I’m no maven

boysrus

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 11:32 pm
what is the definiton of heimish in the context of this thread?

amother
Navy

Post Wed, Feb 13 2019, 11:43 pm
Where is he now? Why don’t you ask his rebbe or principal what he thinks would be the best place for him?

doctorima

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 10:30 am
That's a lot of mesivtas, and all over the religious spectrum. Could you tell us a little more about the boy and his family, what they're looking for, and what type of school he's in now. Novominsk and Vyelipol are definitely heimish-friendly, but Novominsk is almost impossible to get into without major pull. Vertetzky is heimish-friendly, but more Flatbush "heimish lite." I don't know much about Chasan Sofer, but assume it's plenty heimish.

The other options - Tiferes Elimelech, Cheder (yes they have a high school down the street from the elementary), and Torah Temimah are all fine schools, but not known for having a significant heimish student body.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 3:59 pm
Are tuitions to all these mesivtas similar? Regents? When are they dismissed every day?

momX4

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 4:33 pm
Your DSs seventh grade rebbe should be the perfect person to ask for advice.

doctorima

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 5:00 pm
On paper they're mostly going to be similar, but in practice, some will give much bigger reductions than others (obviously depending on your situation and need). I imagine Tiferes Elimelech is the cheapest of them all, but even though they take Regents, they have no English in 11th or 12th grades, and even in 10th grade, it's optional. They give a Torah U'Mesorah diploma, not a NY State one.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children