Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Babysitter. Do you pay travel time?

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 8:54 pm
In Monsey. If you pick up and drop off the babysitter do you pay her from when she gets to you and you get home or from when you get to their house and back (wondering especially since I waited ten minutes for her to come out) and when I paid her she was upset that I paid for actual work time. I immediately paid her what she asked but was wondering if I was off the wall/what to do in the future. (I won’t get into her skills which actually freaked me out. The kids were out playing in the pitch dark and get this. She didn’t even know she was so busy with her devices OMG)

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 8:58 pm
What was the travel time?

I've never paid a babysitter for travel time (not in Monsey), and most jobs in general do not pay for travel time. Unless it was a far distance between your homes, I wouldn't include that in the pay.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:04 pm
I pay for the hours that she actually babysits my kids. I don't get paid an extra hour travel time when I work.

amother
Blue

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:29 pm
So it’s about ten minutes each way and I waited ten minutes. So it was a half hour difference. I think I was more taken aback at how she was a little rude in telling me that x time equals x dollars. And she was including all time. I guess I still would want to know what to do in the future but here I was kinda embarrassed in case I’m wrong. But I wasn’t wrong either way because technically she nearly gave me a heart attack. She allowed my ten year old to cook something?!!!!!!!!! She turned on the stove cause they asked. Um. Hello. And she’s 17. Whatever. Don’t matter. Won’t be using her. I was just checking in on how it would work going forward with someone else. Thanks

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:32 pm
amother wrote:
So it’s about ten minutes each way and I waited ten minutes. So it was a half hour difference. I think I was more taken aback at how she was a little rude in telling me that x time equals x dollars. And she was including all time. I guess I still would want to know what to do in the future but here I was kinda embarrassed in case I’m wrong. But I wasn’t wrong either way because technically she nearly gave me a heart attack. She allowed my ten year old to cook something?!!!!!!!!! She turned on the stove cause they asked. Um. Hello. And she’s 17. Whatever. Don’t matter. Won’t be using her. I was just checking in on how it would work going forward with someone else. Thanks

Don't use her again.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:33 pm
amother wrote:
In Monsey. If you pick up and drop off the babysitter do you pay her from when she gets to you and you get home or from when you get to their house and back (wondering especially since I waited ten minutes for her to come out) and when I paid her she was upset that I paid for actual work time. I immediately paid her what she asked but was wondering if I was off the wall/what to do in the future. (I won’t get into her skills which actually freaked me out. The kids were out playing in the pitch dark and get this. She didn’t even know she was so busy with her devices OMG)

You picking her up and driving her home is what she gets for travel.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:42 pm
amother wrote:

Doesn't sound like she did much babysitting at all! She sounds entitled and irresponsible. I definitely wouldn't use her again.

amother
Denim

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:45 pm
She's 17?? And you gave into her?? That's utter chutzpa! And irresponsible. I thought you meant an older lady. I would talk to her mother about it. It does not seem like she's ready for babysitting.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 9:48 pm
I'm not in Monsey. I use a babysitter who lives a three minute drive/ten minute walk from me. She usually walks over when it's daylight, and I drive her back. I mentally start my clock from when she gets to my house, even if she gets there earlier than I asked. I don't really need to factor in the time I drive her home, because it's so minimal. But I probably would if it was 10 minutes. I always round up when I pay.

Disclaimer: this is for a great babysitter. I think a babysitter who does a really bad job should not be paid for any time outside that spent in your home.

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 10:08 pm
amother wrote:

Maybe have her pay you for the time it took you to pick her up, wait for her, and drive her back home and for gas as well, otherwise I don't see why you should pay for traveling time. If she wants to use a car service then I would pay for that but not for additional time on top of it.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 5:27 am
no

amother
Blue

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 7:21 am
Thanks guys! Yeah. I came home to a burned smell. The bottom of the pot had burned. It was bad. If you’re going to turn on the stove which you probably shouldn’t. Then you supervise. You don’t wanna play with my kids, I can handle that. No problem. But not watching them is seriously dangerous. But I’m so glad she got to curl her hair and put on makeup. I’m still pretty hysterical. They literally would have been safer home alone because then they would know they can’t go out. Can’t touch stove etc. I haven’t and wouldn’t leave them. But in this case it would have been safer. This stuff is so scary. I got her referred from her friend why would I dream that something like this would happen?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette