Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
How to maintain

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 11:33 pm
I know how to organize, I can declutter and set up items to each have a home. But somehow as time passes things get misplaced, garbage and clutter builds up and then I’m left with another 3-4 hours clean up job redoing a closet or room.
For example my toy closet is pretty well organized, everything categorized into different containers. But if I don’t keep on top of it every single day then toys get mixed up, garbage accumulates. Same pattern happens with my kids bedroom closets, pantry, storage areas, etc. I have several small children so I can’t control where items travel...
How can I keep my hard work maintained?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 11:36 pm
That's what maintenance is!
If you don't want those couple of hour jobs, reserve 5 minutes each day where you set the timer and just purge and re-set.
There's a nice hotline that you can follow that goes through the house methodically in 15 minutes a day and you maintain the entire home.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 11:41 pm
amother wrote:
I know how to organize, I can declutter and set up items to each have a home. But somehow as time passes things get misplaced, garbage and clutter builds up and then I’m left with another 3-4 hours clean up job redoing a closet or room.
For example my toy closet is pretty well organized, everything categorized into different containers. But if I don’t keep on top of it every single day then toys get mixed up, garbage accumulates. Same pattern happens with my kids bedroom closets, pantry, storage areas, etc. I have several small children so I can’t control where items travel...
How can I keep my hard work maintained?

I totally know what you mean and have the same situation. I think it is kind of unavoidable that things get out of place and need to be redone. Each evening, I try to put away whatever items are out (meaning that are sitting on a table, the floor, etc., as opposed to being in a cabinet, closet, drawer etc.) This is manageable in the size of my apt, but it would probably be much harder in a bigger home. I also try to spend 10 minutes a day on organizing closets, drawers, etc. I rotate through the apt so each area gets redone every so often, and, because everything has a place these "projects" go quickly. So one day might be one of the kids' clothing closets, another day might be a few kitchen cabinets, and another day might be a bookcase or a few shelves of toys.

Eta: I see I cross-posted with ra-mom Very Happy

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 11:55 pm
Yups. I always wonder if I’m the only one thats always organizing. Every day is another maintenance day. The kids played with playmobile- I check if they’re all in the right
Bins, they took out books- I check if it’s messed up.... it’s a daily job.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics