Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training
ISO easy way to train 3 yo son

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 5:13 pm
My son will IY"H be 3 in 5 weeks.

I want him to be trained before Pesach, if possible, so I don't have to travel with extra diapers.

I am looking for the best, easiest way to train him.

Right now, he knows that adults use the toilet and he occasionally tells me that he has made poop. I bought him underwear with fun characters, and he's excited for that. But beyond that, he doesn't really show interest or awareness.

His playgroup Morah suggested letting him walk around the house in underwear one weekend and see how it goes. Others have suggested letting him walk around naked. One friend said train him at night, too, and another said put him in diapers at night.

Help. I'm overwhelmed. Please provide tips.

TIA

monkeys

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 5:44 pm
There are three stages:
1- understanding that I have peed
2- realizing that I am peeing
3- feeling the I need to pee
Just stay home for three days, take away the diaper and be ready for loads of accidents. By day three he should be by the third stage. Be very very positive. Overly positive. (Pretend you are a nursery Morah.) accidents are okay. It means the kid is learning. Tell that to him and stay calm and happy. You can buy small dollar store prizes or use winkies or chocolate chips. Let him have a goal of earning a big present at the end. Praise him loads and let bubby and aunts praise him too.
Toilet toppers and a potty in whatever room he is in are helpful. My oldest was scared of the toilet so we used a potty and then transitioned to the toilet with a topper.
There is a book called “I can go by myself,” by Elisheva Morgan that is great!!
Personally, I was never comfortable letting them go around without underwear. I put my boys in an oversized shirt with undies.
If he finds it too stressful, stop and try again in a few months. I had to do that with my oldest who has a very intense and sensitive personality.
Night training is a muscular development. Some kids have it and some don’t. Don’t push it. If you see he’s dry at night, great! If not, let him wear a pull up and when it stays dry for a month then you can take it away.
Good luck!!!

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 6:01 pm
1- no bottoms for three days
2- stay in the house those three days
3- only focus on his toileting those 3 days
4- give him a lot to drink so has opportunities to use the bathroom
5- have him sit on the potty/toilet 15 minutes on and then 20 minutes off
6- give praise and a small reward like a jelly bean when he makes on the potty
7- keep an eye a whole time if he starts to pee/ poop not on the potty and take him there fast to finish the job
8- you can night train him the same time. I did. It worked well. I didnt give drinks in bed though

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 8:37 pm
How does one night train? Thank you so much for your tips so far.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 8:38 pm
now in day # 3 with toilet training my dc rather closer to two.
understands the need to pee B"H-asks to use toilet, but still afraid to pee basicly today 1 accident but only peed twice. B"H pood once
napped in carriage with undies, put underpad on carriage (in case of accident) woke up dry.

night still putting on diapers, so she can empty herself (not healthy to hold back so long)
I was relieved when dc woke up this morning with a heavy and smelly diaper. (1st 2 days dc didn't poo at all)

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 8:40 pm
amother wrote:
How does one night train? Thank you so much for your tips so far.

You don't need to night train. Have him use the bathroom before bed, and use pull ups at night. Whenever his body is ready he will start waking up dry. Once it happens for a week straight you'll know you don't need pull ups anymore.

monkeys

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 10:15 pm
amother wrote:
You don't need to night train. Have him use the bathroom before bed, and use pull ups at night. Whenever his body is ready he will start waking up dry. Once it happens for a week straight you'll know you don't need pull ups anymore.

Exactly this. But my ped said a month, not a week. My 5.5 year old still wears a pull up. I was advised not to push it. It will happen when he’s ready.

amother
Pewter

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:13 am
amother wrote:
now in day # 3 with toilet training my dc rather closer to two.
understands the need to pee B"H-asks to use toilet, but still afraid to pee basicly today 1 accident but only peed twice. B"H pood once
napped in carriage with undies, put underpad on carriage (in case of accident) woke up dry.

night still putting on diapers, so she can empty herself (not healthy to hold back so long)
I was relieved when dc woke up this morning with a heavy and smelly diaper. (1st 2 days dc didn't poo at all)

When you find the solution to this problem please letme know. My daughter has been having the same issue. She has very good self control and it drives me mad that she can keep herself in so long.

creditcards

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:23 am
monkeys wrote:
Exactly this. But my ped said a month, not a week. My 5.5 year old still wears a pull up. I was advised not to push it. It will happen when he’s ready.

A month is too long. Because some kids learn that they can pee in the pull-up. After 3 days dry I take it off for at night. Otherwise they can start making in the pull-up on purpose.

creditcards

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:24 am
amother wrote:
When you find the solution to this problem please letme know. My daughter has been having the same issue. She has very good self control and it drives me mad that she can keep herself in so long.

Train when they are older. The older the faster the process.

Bliss

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 12:25 am
I trained 2 kids in an extremely positive way. Even when they would make an accident I said "good you know how to do it" and quickly pick him up and let him finish in the toilet.

I set a timer for every 15 minutes. Every half hour I sent him to the toilet to try to make and then he would get a chocolate chip, just for trying. And every 15 minutes in between he would check if he's dry and also get a choco chip. And when he made in the bathroom he would get a few choco chips.

These 2 of my kids got trained very easily.

shanarishona

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 2:00 am
Don't worry if it doesn't work. My son wasn't ready till 3.5 years
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Children's Health -> Toilet Training