Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Persistent ductus arteriosus in almost 1 year old

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 7:30 am
Did anyone else child have that? We were just diagnosed with a silent PDA in my 11 month old child and I am so worried. I am worrying myself sick. The cardiologist just wants her to come back in 6 months but I am afraid it may be too late if she does not get surgery right away.. I read it is a major congenital heart defect and I am really really worried.

Editorial: Please do not recommend any doctors in NYC or the US, we are not in the US. Thank you.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Feb 14 2019, 7:53 am
One of my kids had it as a preterm baby and it persisted. Fortunately it went away at 6 months but we were told it might need surgery if it hadn't gone away.

You need to find a pediatric cardiologist and get a second opinion

amother
Taupe

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 1:55 pm
Just writing to reassure you. My daughter was diagnosed in the hospital the day after she was born. We went to a pediatric cardiologist, probably, when she was less than a month old & again when she was 6 months old, but it didn't close. When she was 9 months old she had a catheter inserted through her groin & a coil put in, in a hospital. Now she is 15 years old & she is fine & healthy, baruch Hashem. From what I understand (from reading about it), it does not become bigger with time, it stays the same. It might close by itself & then there's no need to have surgery. Refuah sheleimah. Smile

OBnursemom

Post Fri, Feb 15 2019, 2:36 pm
It is not a major congenital defect. CHDs are always abnormal, are a problem in utero and will be a lifelong issue. PDA is something that is totally normal in utero, and can cause trouble if it fails to close after birth. It can cause congestive heart failure if it fails to close for an extended period of time. Once it is dealt with, it is permanently gone. How prominent is the doctor you went to see? Maybe get a second opinion from a doctor in a major academic center in your area.

ectomorph

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 3:32 pm
OBnursemom wrote:
It is not a major congenital defect. CHDs are always abnormal, are a problem in utero and will be a lifelong issue. PDA is something that is totally normal in utero, and can cause trouble if it fails to close after birth. It can cause congestive heart failure if it fails to close for an extended period of time. Once it is dealt with, it is permanently gone. How prominent is the doctor you went to see? Maybe get a second opinion from a doctor in a major academic center in your area.

This is what I was thinking... The doctor should have been more reassuring. If it needed treatment he wouldn't have said to come back in 6 months.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics