Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Chesed ideas w/young kids
1  2  Next

lavender_dew

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 8:18 pm
I’m keeping my kids home this summer and we had an idea that we’d like to include doing some kind of chesed as part of our Camp Mommy itinerary. The only problem is I can’t seem to think of any ideas, aside from giving tzedakah or buying food for the local food pantry. Does anyone have suggestions? I’d really appreciate it! Thank you!

Queen6

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 8:19 pm
Visit the nursing home.

southernbubby

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 8:23 pm
When I did bubby camp last summer, we visited an elderly shut-in and led singalongs in a nursing home.

Are there neighbors who might want their flowers watered or their weeds pulled?

1untamedgirl

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 8:28 pm
lavender_dew wrote:
I’m keeping my kids home this summer and we had an idea that we’d like to include doing some kind of chesed as part of our Camp Mommy itinerary. The only problem is I can’t seem to think of any ideas, aside from giving tzedakah or buying food for the local food pantry. Does anyone have suggestions? I’d really appreciate it! Thank you!

If you are in NY then contact Selfhelp, they work with holocaust survivors and may allow you to "adopt" a bubby or visit some of their clients in their homes. If you are not in NY then check if your city has a similar organization. https://www.selfhelp.net/get-involved.php

Plonis

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 8:29 pm
Make cookies for a family with a family member in the hospital or a mother who just had a baby?
Do yard work for a senior citizen who lives nearby?
Make get well cards for a child who is sick?
Invite a family or individual who is going through a hard time / new in the neighborhood for a barbecue?
Make challah for a non-religious family?
Record a happy story (radio play style) for other kids to listen to and share it on social media?
Make fleece scarves for the homeless?
Decorate inspirational pillowcases and make care packages for a women's shelter?
Make "Kindness Rocks" (google it)?

MitzadSheini

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 8:37 pm
Think about what you and your kids can do yourselves to be bigger and better people. Maybe pushing yourselves out of your comfort zone. Maybe the opposite - doing more of what you are good at. But turn it around a bit instead seeing who else you can "do" cheesed to.

Real chessed is not about doing something to someone else. It's about being the very best YOU that you can be - and then the world benefits from this. As a kind of by-product.

An example- Beethoven did an act of cbessed when he wrote down his Symphonies. The world benefited from him making himself great.

Make yourself great

dankbar

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 11:32 pm
Refuah shleimah cards for sick kids.
Help package food for tomchei shabbos.
Invite some guests..kids should give over their beds...bake cookies for them...include them in activities...give up some of their prizes.
Go around selling some raffles for tzedaka.
Bake sales/lemonade stands & income goes to charity.
Babysit some of neighbors kids/babies
Make thank you notes for some people

dankbar

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 11:33 pm
Make a collage of pics how they are doing some mitzvos.
Visit some elderly lonely people
Make a performance for special needs kids or money to charity

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 12:46 am
Write letters to bubby/aunts

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 12:47 am
Put together album/scrapbook for bubby

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 12:48 am
Run around to get signatures from family members in home or neighbors after doing a favor for them. Whoever gets most wins

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 12:49 am
Put together a grocery order for someone

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 12:50 am
Walk someone's dog. Go around town with a big smile & saying hello & stopping to talk to people in middle of way

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 12:55 am
You can play a game let's say pick out a note & you have to perform the chesed it says on paper. Or like a raffle/auction everyone writes down a chesed/favor they promise to do for each others either pick out one from bag or auction off with tickets/play money yankel chesed. Moms chesed. Open envelope & see what you get.
Ex. Go give a kiss to your sis. Go call bubby to say hello. Help your bro tie his sneakers. Go prepare sandwiches for lunch.
Ex. I promise to take you out on your bday. I promise to teach you how to ice a cake. I promise to blow dry your hair erev shabbos.

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 1:07 am
You can have pics of chesed & kids act it out & other kids have to guess which chesed it is.

Make mazel tov signs for people that had baby or making other simchas

Cook a meal for kimpeturin who had a baby.

Help make pekalach for someone's upsherin/aufruf/vachtnacht

Create a nice sukkah decoration for bubby sukkah

Croquet hats for preemie babies or cancer kids

Pack lunches & deliver to some people like old people....or help a daycamp package sandwiches for their trip

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 1:10 am
Bake miniatures/cookies/cake for someone's simcha.

Help set the table for someone's simcha

Help mommies with new babies or twins or little kids. Take their babies on a stroll. Play with their kids at home or take out their kids to park

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 1:12 am
Tutor kids that need help for free.

Help a school to unpack toys/books for upcoming year.

Help organize a Jewish library.

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 1:21 am
Organize your closets & whatever doesn't fit can they take it to local gemachs for needy. Can they help organize all the clothes that come into gemachs with sorting sizes, mending?

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 1:22 am
How old are your kids? We're any ideas helpful?

dankbar

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 1:28 am
Can they stuff a bear & take them to sick kids in hosp or any toy or food packages ( make sure they wear gloves/gown/_mask so no germs to sick kids)

Can they create their own jewelery & gift it to needy girls.

Can they make patch blankets & send them to third world countries
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics