Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
"Autism is just a doctor's way of saying...
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 8:16 pm
...that you have a 5@$%&* up brain."

Do you agree? Disagree? How would respond to this statement?

FranticFrummie

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 8:22 pm
I will tell you what I told DD.

"Everybody's brain works in it's own special way. I am great at making art, but terrible at math. My best friend is a math genius, but she can barely cook an egg. Some people can sing, some people learn new languages super fast, some people know how not to panic in an emergency."

"Hashem made all different kinds of brains, for all different kinds of jobs. If everyone was a brain surgeon, what would happen if you needed heart surgery?"

"Nobody knows how to do everything 100% all the time. The thing is to do the best you can, and find the type of teachers who know how to teach your kind of brain. If you're not learning, it's not that you're stupid, it's because you aren't being taught according to the way
your brain works."

aricelli

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 8:25 pm
Amother linen- why would you think so?

amother
Rose

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 8:25 pm
How is autism different from any other neurological diagnosis? Any neurological diagnosis will fit a description of brain differences. Calling it @#$&ed up is a valid emotional reaction that some people may have regarding their own diagnosis, but it's certainly not the way it's perceived by the diagnostician.

aricelli

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 8:27 pm
I guess I dont agree- my not-yet- diagnosed kiddo is the love of my life and I find asd children to be just delightful- just with a different way of processing information.
I think I’m the one with the #%|€= brain- his is awesome

southernbubby

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 8:56 pm
My grandson has severe regressive autism. It is a catastrophic condition and not simply an alternative type of brain function. To me, socially awkward or socially different people should not be labeled autistic. Autism means that the person is locked into his own world. My grandson is very limited in his capacity to communicate and rarely tries. He can stare out the window for hours. Maybe those who can and do communicate should be called "unique". Maybe Asperger's is not really related to what my grandson has. A person with Asperger's can work and take care of himself. I know that autism is now rated in terms of functioning level rather than old labels such as PPD but the original meaning of autism was used to describe those who could not communicate or connect with others.

aricelli

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 9:02 pm
Souther bubby - hugs to you and your grandson. I still dont think he is #%¥€! We cant understand everything but the fact that he was created means theres a soul in there

southernbubby

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 9:05 pm
aricelli wrote:
Souther bubby - hugs to you and your grandson. I still dont think he is #%¥€! We cant understand everything but the fact that he was created means theres a soul in there

Yes thanks, he definitely has a soul. Every once in a while we get a tiny glimpse of it.

aricelli

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 9:10 pm
Southern bubby- this is so so tough to watch I bet... but your family sure is lucky to have you- you sound like a wonderful person and grandma. Each tiny glimpse is huge- may you see many more.

aricelli

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 9:44 pm
I always wish that OP’s would write the thinking behind their posting- there must be an emotion behind every thought...

daagahminayin

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 10:55 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Yes thanks, he definitely has a soul. Every once in a while we get a tiny glimpse of it.

Southernbubby, if you are willing, can you share with us one of the times you got a tiny glimpse?

DrMom

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 11:17 pm
amother wrote:
...that you have a 5@$%&* up brain."

Do you agree? Disagree? How would respond to this statement?

The comment does not sound worthy of a response.

aricelli

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 11:21 pm
Dr mom: but read how beautiful this thread has turned out to be!

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 11:48 pm
aricelli wrote:
I always wish that OP’s would write the thinking behind their posting- there must be an emotion behind every thought...

I wanted to keep that to myself for now.

Thank you all for the positive feedback.

Southern Bubby I agree that the lumping of all asd together is ridiculous. But your grandson is on a higher plane than the rest of us.

southernbubby

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 1:50 am
daagahminayin wrote:
Southernbubby, if you are willing, can you share with us one of the times you got a tiny glimpse?

He put his forehead up to mine and smiled.

He once was trying to push me and I didn't know why and only later realized that he was trying to get me to give him a snack and he was pushing me to the snack.

He rarely spoke but once got upset and started crying, "lo, lo, lo" (Hebrew for no, no, no).

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 8:47 am
southernbubby wrote:
He put his forehead up to mine and smiled.

He once was trying to push me and I didn't know why and only later realized that he was trying to get me to give him a snack and he was pushing me to the snack.

He rarely spoke but once got upset and started crying, "lo, lo, lo" (Hebrew for no, no, no).

Sometimes, when I am around non verbal people with Autism, and they are locked in and smiling, I am convinced that they are having deep conversations with angels and tzadikim. There is such a look of bliss on their faces, it's the only explanation I can come up with.

I just feel so sad when I see that their deepest distress is when they are frustrated in their efforts to reach out and communicate with us. I love the advancements that have been made with picture boards and other types of electronic communication. You never know who is "really in there" sometimes.

yonabets

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 9:02 am
aricelli wrote:
I guess I dont agree- my not-yet- diagnosed kiddo is the love of my life and I find asd children to be just delightful- just with a different way of processing information.
I think I’m the one with the #%|€= brain- his is awesome

Aricelli YOU ARE awesome!!!!

aricelli

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 9:05 am
Yonabets
I know!
Love you too!

aricelli

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 9:09 am
Yonabets:
Actually- I had a very tough therapy session (tough because its so hard to see his strange behaviour sometimes) with him thursday and came home crying... called my brother (also a therapist) and said over and over “my child is weird, I’m not a good Mom, I dont want to be here” so I guess I’mnot so awesome after all- just a human who loves her kid

aricelli

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 9:10 am
Its way easier to see the beauty in someone elses delayed child sometimes: it doesnt trigger you the same way
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics