Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
High school for son with ADHD/Autism(HF) and Behavior issues
1  2  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 5:30 pm
I'm looking for a high school (Yeshiva) for my son. He is very high functioning and can do well in the right environment. He's had his fair share of negativity in the yeshiva systems (really doesn't want to go to any)and is currently in public school. I DO NOT WANT ANYTHING NEAR THE TRI-STATE AREA! His behavior issues stem from past trauma and abuse, so he needs a very warm and loving environment.
Any ideas? Or do you know someone who is knowledgeable in these kinds of yeshivas?

animeme

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:01 pm
You can try Doresh in Miami.

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:06 pm
animeme wrote:
You can try Doresh in Miami.

Doresh students have learning and/or intellectual disabilities. If this is not the case for your son, op, it will probably not be a good match.

animeme

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:11 pm
amother wrote:
Doresh students have learning and/or intellectual disabilities. If this is not the case for your son, op, it will probably not be a good match.

Agreed. But if there are any learning issues, I think it's worth a phone call.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 11 2019, 6:28 pm
Shaarei adirim in Chicago. It’s modeled after shaarei arazim in Monsey.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Feb 12 2019, 5:42 am
I'm the OP....
Thanks for responding!
I've heard some not good things about Doresh (we live in Florida).... serious issues that I can't have my child in.
The place in Chicago, I checked their website.... they seem to be very yeshivish and very rigid. My son won't go near a white shirt with a 10ft pole...lol. hates dress pants, too.
He has learning disabilities as well but he's got a thick IEP and has suffered abuse. So I need to be really careful where I send him.
Are these the only 2 places? I've noticed all the threads mention these 2....

happy mommy6

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 8:50 pm
New yeshiva in lakewood called imrei Noam. Don't know details on what level of academics it is. I know it's geared to boys who have not made it in other yeshivas, have difficult lives etc.... they do alot of teaching them trades. Rabbi wallerstein endorses it strongly.

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 8:58 pm
Eatontown maybe?

amother
Slategray

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 9:01 pm
What about the tri-state area is a big no-no? Would you consider Rambam Mesivta?

amother
Hotpink

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 9:03 pm
[quote="amother"]I'm the OP....
Thanks for responding!
I've heard some not good things about Doresh (we live in Florida).... serious issues that I can't have my child in.
The place in Chicago, I checked their website.... they seem to be very yeshivish and very rigid. My son won't go near a white shirt with a 10ft pole...lol. hates dress pants, too.
He has learning disabilities as well but he's got a thick IEP and has suffered abuse. So I need to be really careful where I send him.
Are these the only 2 places? I've noticed all the threads mention these 2....[/quote

Hi OP I also have a son with similar needs. We have been considering Doresh. Can u let me know more about the issues there?

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 9:27 pm
[quote="amother"]
amother wrote:
I'm the OP....
Thanks for responding!
Are these the only 2 places? I've noticed all the threads mention these 2....[/quote

Hi OP I also have a son with similar needs. We have been considering Doresh. Can u let me know more about the issues there?
[quote]

[b] unfortunately, there has been reports of emotional abuse and them being a little too physical with the boys.

Undefined

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:16 am
Amother charteuse, can you please pm me, I was looking into Doresh also..

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:31 pm
Can you please pm me with the issues at Doresh? I'd like to speak to you if possible.
Thank you so much

ishaima

Post Sun, May 12 2019, 12:33 pm
[quote="amother [ Chartreuse ]"]
Quote:

[b] unfortunately, there has been reports of emotional abuse and them being a little too physical with the boys.

Amother chartreuse - I would really like to speak to you as I am looking into Doresh for my son. Can you please pm me?

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Dec 11 2019, 10:37 pm
I am also considering doresh.
Has anyone heard of a yeshiva in France called Beth yossef bussieres? If anyone has any info on that yeshiva I would really appreciate it. We are seriously considering it for our son. I have many fears, but, I have also heard major success stories, and after trying the therapeutic and pharmacological route for 10nyears with no success at all (his evaluations from the age of 3 describe him as he is today at 13) I'm basically prepared to try anything.

imasinger

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 3:34 am
This is very, very challenging, OP!

To summarize what I've read:

- You want your DS in a Jewish high school.
- He won't wear a white shirt and dress pants.
- He has suffered abuse, on top of some executive functioning diagnoses. So he is emotionally fragile as well as academically challenged, although very bright.
- He is currently in public school.
- You currently live in FL, and specifically asked for not the tri-state area.

Two key questions.

First, are you thinking to move to wherever you found a school that might work? Because it doesn't sound like this kid should be boarding somewhere; he probably needs your proximity and support.

Second, do you mind sharing why you're ruling out the entire tristate area? Is it because you've checked out every school around there that might be a fit, and are not satisfied? Is it because DS had a bad experience with some kids in that vicinity and you're afraid it might happen again?

Last edited by imasinger on Thu, Dec 12 2019, 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total

nanny24/7

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 4:52 am
Would you consider a private secular school, if it fit your son's needs?
I am also curious why you don't want tri-state area.

amother
Indigo

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 4:58 am
Let me try to ask the question a little differently for you. There are people like rabbi wallerstein and Avi fishoff who know all the different options of atypical yeshivos around the world. (I’m in Brooklyn so I’ve heard of them) Can everybody please provide names and numbers of people they know who can guide the op? Wishing you much Hatzlacha.

malky800

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 5:49 am
On a slightly other note, I have a son like this. For now I am keeping him in our local yeshiva which he is not doing well in. But I am too nervous to send him to a dorm in his condition.
If he has problems controlling himself who will take care of him away from home?
After a hard day, his mother wont very there to comfort him
How do you do it?

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Dec 12 2019, 5:24 pm
Have you heard of Rabbi Shmuel Gluck in Monday? He has an organization called Areivim. They do a lot of intervention with kids who are going through challenging situations. However, he will also meet with you and your kid and try to help place him in a yeshiva that’s appropriate for him. He works with all types of kids— he met with one of my kids who was having a problem finding a good place. He’s not a magician and cant create schools that don’t exist, but it might be worth speaking to him on the phone and seeing what he recommends. I do t have his number right now, but you can google it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics