Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
If you had a hundred kids...
1  2  Next

amother
Salmon

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 9:55 pm
So this discussion came up on Shabbos, and I thought it was really interesting! We have B"H not a small family, but I am quite lucky that my children want a larger one. So they suggested, what would we do if we had a hundred babies at once?

It was a lot of fun to discuss actually, after deciding that in our imagination game there were 50 of each gender, all born healthy, and there were no financial constraints.

As we went through the scenarios of how we would deal with things like 50 brissin, picking 100 different names, put 100 babies to sleep, etc. it was obvious that we would have to delegate the vast majority.

Which brings me to the point of why I'm posting. As I went through what we would have to delegate, it really helped me realize what parts of mothering I would NOT delegate, the parts of being a mommy that for me encapsulate what parenting is all about. The parts that make the kids feel like they have a mommy that loves them.

I could post my own, and the whole fantasy world we built, but I thought it would be more fun to open the question to others who might want to play along:

If you had 100 babies, what parts of parenting would you NOT delegate? What strategies might you use to ensure that all of your kids feel like they have loving parents?

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 9:58 pm
If someone truly was caring for 100 babies she would have to delegate almost everything. It's nice to say that in theory you would hold onto certain "mommy jobs," but practically speaking it would be impossible.

aricelli

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 9:59 pm
Hugs! Mmmm! Nothing for a child like a mothers warm embrace.

Surrendered

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 10:02 pm
I would not delegate the hugging & kissing them.
Otherwise, I don't see how you can make it work energy wise.
Think about the mess, laundry, homework, morning & evening routine, food prep, clean up, diaper changing, bathing......................

aricelli

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 10:03 pm
Of course, I think I’d let their daddy do it! He deserves it!

southernbubby

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 10:18 pm
There are people who have that many grandchildren and great grandchildren and who want to be with each of them and enjoy their simchas and have a relationship with all of them and give all for birthdays, holidays and simchas. It is a challenge that everyone wants to have!

Petra

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 10:21 pm
theirs a lot I wouldn't delegate. A few I can think of... the 5 minute night-time talks before bedtime, sitting on the edge of their beds (seems like this is the moment they like to share the most). getting the inside jokes. walking into their messy rooms and not saying anything. watching them interact with their friends. driving them to school. waking them up everyday to get ready for school. their hugs.

aricelli

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 10:25 pm
Hey petra!
100x5= 500
You’d have to start bedtime mighty early!

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 10:26 pm
I can just picture it - sitting on a chair, your 100 kids waiting in line for their turn to hug santa, I mean mommy

Petra

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 10:44 pm
It's not about the literal "100" part. If parts of parenting had to be delegated, which part would you insist on doing yourself? That's what I think OP is getting at.

aricelli

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 10:49 pm
Youre right petra! You gotta admit the image is funny though!

aricelli

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 10:53 pm
Theres lots I dont want to delegate: bedtime fantasy stories... sitting at the edge of the bath and playfully splashing bubbles on their tummies... reassuring them when taking them to therapy. Unfortunately, when things have been a bit tough or hectic I have had to delegate these tasks- sometimes you need to do evev what you dont want to.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 11:41 pm
I have a theory that moms who are less willing to delegate, have fewer kids.

aricelli

Post Sat, Feb 16 2019, 11:44 pm
Fewer than a hundred? Noooo!

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 12:51 am
So this resonated with me. Not because of the 100 kids part but because I am currently on strict bedrest and have to delegate the majority of parenting. So here’s what I get and hold onto.
1. Morning cuddles in mommies bed.
2. I check everyone’s outfits and make hair from my bed
3. Read books and play board games in my bed
4. Do homework in my bed
5. Goodnight cuddles and shema in my bed.
6. One on one chats with hot cocoa in my bed with my older ones.

These things help me feel connected to my kids as their lives swirl on past my bedroom door.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:31 am
amother wrote:
I have a theory that moms who are less willing to delegate, have fewer kids.

That's a cute theory.
Or they have problems you never dreamed of that limit their family size.
Health issues
Financial issues
Emmotional/shalom bayis issues...

ectomorph

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:34 am
amother wrote:
I can just picture it - sitting on a chair, your 100 kids waiting in line for their turn to hug santa, I mean mommy
lol

If I had 100 kids I'd be too stressed getting the basic needs met to do much parenting.

My ideal number is 15.

If I had100 I would probably miss out on a lot. It would be more like running a school than a family

Ruchel

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 6:26 am
HUh. I hate when people assume the shalom bayis is wrong just because of number of kids. Hashem decides. He may not think you need a dozen.

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 8:03 am
amother wrote:
That's a cute theory.
Or they have problems you never dreamed of that limit their family size.
Health issues
Financial issues
Emmotional/shalom bayis issues...

I think she meant it in a good way. That moms who want to do their own mothering, might decide to have smaller families.
Of course there are a million other reasons people limit family size. Not everyone thinks huge families are ideal environments for raising children.

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 8:26 am
Just the thought of having 100 babies that will grow up into 100 teenagers at a certain point makes my heart palpitate. I most likely would be in a psychiatric ward dealing with my anxiety while they all fend for themselves and I wouldn't have a choice but to delegate it all.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics