Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Continuing ed courses

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 8:00 am
Do I need 100 hours of continuing ed courses every five years if I hold a professional license and teach in a non-public school? That teach website is confusing.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 9:58 am
amother wrote:
Do I need 100 hours of continuing ed courses every five years if I hold a professional license and teach in a non-public school? That teach website is confusing.

The answer probably varies depending on what region you teach in.

amother
Bronze

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 10:23 am
Nyc

Leleh

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 8:51 pm
You don't.

seeker

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 9:41 pm
Leleh wrote:
You don't.

Actually it seems pretty explicit that you do. It says anyone who teaches in a school in New York, period.

cnc

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 9:43 pm
seeker wrote:
Actually it seems pretty explicit that you do. It says anyone who teaches in a school in New York, period.

This.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 10:10 pm
seeker wrote:

It says you need continuing ed? But what about just ed? Is there requirements in NY for any college?

seeker

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 11:10 pm
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
It says you need continuing ed? But what about just ed? Is there requirements in NY for any college?

I'm not sure I understand your question, can you please clarify?
Public schools only hire certified teachers, certification includes a college degree.
Non-public schools choose what qualifications they want; a yeshivish school likely has teachers without degrees.
Continuing ed is required for certified teachers to keep their certification.

amother
Tangerine

Post Tue, Jul 16 2019, 11:13 pm
seeker wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your question, can you please clarify?
Public schools only hire certified teachers, certification includes a college degree.
Non-public schools choose what qualifications they want; a yeshivish school likely has teachers without degrees.
Continuing ed is required for certified teachers to keep their certification.

In this post you say that teachers without degrees can work in private schools.

seeker wrote:

In this post, you say that anyone who teaches needs continuing ed.

It would be ironic if teachers aren't required to have basic education but are required to have continuing ed.

seeker

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:08 am
Being that the requirement for continuing ed is to retain your certification, logic follows that people who don't have certification do not have that requirement. What non-public schools require of their own teachers is their own business. I would like to think that most do require both basic and ongoing education but not the same formal certification requirements as state and city departments.

seeker

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 12:09 am
PS note that my reply was directed primary to the OP who stated that she already holds certification.

amother
Tangerine

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 6:19 am
seeker wrote:
Being that the requirement for continuing ed is to retain your certification, logic follows that people who don't have certification do not have that requirement. What non-public schools require of their own teachers is their own business. I would like to think that most do require both basic and ongoing education but not the same formal certification requirements as state and city departments.

They don't require basic nor CE even though there is federal money available for teacher training, it usually gets diverted. They usually are more concerned with whether a teacher can control the classroom at least at the elementary school level.

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 8:27 am
Continuing ed doesn't mean college credits - it means 100 hours of PD over 5 years. Yes, OP, you do need the hours to maintain your professional certification.

seeker

Post Wed, Jul 17 2019, 9:07 am
amother [ Tangerine ] wrote:
They don't require basic nor CE even though there is federal money available for teacher training, it usually gets diverted. They usually are more concerned with whether a teacher can control the classroom at least at the elementary school level.

Your "they" is based on your limited experience/worldview. You know how many different nonpublic schools are out there? Plus, while the level of required education varies, the schools I know of are not hiring high school dropouts. Their standard may be a Bais Yaakov seminary training, and their continuing ed might be random workshops or meetings, but almost everyone is doing something. I once had a case in a very basic yeshiva and even they had a couple of professional development days every year and sometimes even consultants coming into the classrooms. Funded by Title something or other. On the other end of the scale there are the more expensive schools that require a master's degree plus.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics