Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Child with high fever

amother
Gold

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 2:53 pm
6 year old has 102.2 + fever, even going up to 104 since yesterday morning. The lowest it gets to is 101 but not for long. We were sent into the ER and were there for a few hours they were not happy that her fever is so high and heartbeat so fast. After a few hours they let us home and said if she completely stops eating or developed a rash we should come straight back. Since we got home she is refusing all food or drink (at the hospital she ate a few crisps so I couldn't say that she is not eating well as she just ate a bit) she was also more alert but since we are home she has just slept.
Any advice? Have you had it before with your kids? Anything else to look out for?
I am really worried because she looks so bad but I don't know what to do...

chicco

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 3:06 pm
Mix equal parts vinegar and water and rub her down with it. You can also put some ice packs in her arm pits. The biggest concern is to keep her hydrated. Watch for signs of dehydration- like no saliva or tears. A teaspoon of powerade every half hour should be enough to keep her from dehydrating.

Refuah Shelayma! It is very scary...

amother
Lavender

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 3:08 pm
Does she have anything other than the fever? Throat ache, cough, belly problems, headache?

Is she apathetic? Just lies around without getting up? Does she not respond normally when you talk to her?
Are her lips, tongue and skin dried out?
If so, I'd recommend getting her back to the ER or at least having a doctor examine her again.

I'm a medical professional but over the internet it is pretty much impossible to give a reliable diagnosis or recommendations.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 3:09 pm
amother wrote:
6 year old has 102.2 + fever, even going up to 104 since yesterday morning. The lowest it gets to is 101 but not for long. We were sent into the ER and were there for a few hours they were not happy that her fever is so high and heartbeat so fast. After a few hours they let us home and said if she completely stops eating or developed a rash we should come straight back. Since we got home she is refusing all food or drink (at the hospital she ate a few crisps so I couldn't say that she is not eating well as she just ate a bit) she was also more alert but since we are home she has just slept.
Any advice? Have you had it before with your kids? Anything else to look out for?
I am really worried because she looks so bad but I don't know what to do...

You should be looking for advice at the pediatrician’s office.

gold21

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 3:09 pm
Cheiny wrote:
You should be looking for advice at the pediatrician’s office.

exactly.

ectomorph

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 3:25 pm
As a rule of thumb, if you're concerned enough to post on imamother, you should call a doctor.

In this case I would bring kid back to er.

salamanca

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 4:39 pm
Hi fever alone is not a reason to panic. When my kids were young, 104 was the norm, sometimes almost reaching 105. (This was done rectally. 104 orally would be close to 105 rectally.) When they had this sort of fever the one thing they always ate was scrambled eggs. Try to find something your child likes to eat. Make sure she is drinking or at least eating pedialyte pops. If she stops communicating and just lies on the floor without being responsive, that is a reason to go to the ER. To go to the ER just because your child has 104, well I don't like exposing my family to other people's diseases for no good reason. Make sure you are giving the correct medicine dosage. I was told once that what is on the package for children's advil, for example, is the dosage for pain, not fever which needs a higher dose. So definitely check with your pediatrician on that.

ohmygosh

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 5:34 pm
1. A lukewarm bath can also help bring down fever.
2. What other symptoms is she showing? Runny nose, cough, back pain, sore throat, difficulty breathing, pain urinating etc?
3. Did they test her for the flu, do a urine test, strep test a cbc, etc?
There's not much information in your post.

tweety1

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 7:33 pm
Lethargic is a very big concern. Another advice is to alternate between. Motrin and Tylenol every 3 hours. If this doesn't help I'd call the dr before going to the Dr even at 2am.

tweety1

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 7:34 pm
I'm worried abt your child. Plz post here how things are coming along. Refuah shleimah

oneofakind

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 7:44 pm
Alternate Motrin and Tylenol every 3 hours. give freeze pops.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 8:35 pm
Whenever I have a child with fever above 102, I give Motrin and Tylenol together and that helps the fever come down completely and gives me 6-8 hrs until the next dose. Also, There are several viruses going around now with very high fever.

pizza4

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 8:52 pm
A virus can cause fever, I wouldn't panic. My kids all recently had viruses and we got through it. Part of having kids is they get sick.
So at first I gave tylenol and motrin alternating but I saw that as soon as it wore off the fever went back up, not too high, about 103, so then just made sure they're drinking water, gave a bath morning and night and also a damp cloth to put on her head. That night the fever went down and stayed down, I think because the body was able to fight off the infection. Also gave them vitamins.
You don't need to give tylenol and motrin unless it goes high like 104 and other worrisome symptoms like the others are saying. But lethargy is normal when a kid isn't feeling well, I think. If you're concerned speak with your pediatrician.

Frumwithallergies

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 9:02 pm
OP, how is your child now?

ectomorph

Post Sun, Feb 17 2019, 10:06 pm
Kid was already sent to er. Presumably theres a reason for that. Not improving and sleeping as described I would take kid straight back to er.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics