Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
POLL pls answer- Do you have a kid with a diagnosis?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

do you have a child with an alphabet soup diagnosis (ADHD,PDD-NOS,ODD,ASD etc)
Yes at least one  
 43%  [ 126 ]
No but I have concerns and are looking into it  
 6%  [ 20 ]
No  
 49%  [ 145 ]
Total Votes : 291

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 8:34 am
my 2nd child is on medication for a medical issue- does that count?
my 1st child was never diagnosed but had trouble learning in kindergarten so we took her for OT and vision and now she's a lot better.

aricelli

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 8:44 am
Do any of you ever wonder what diagnosis you were to receive if you went for a comprehensive neuropsych eval? I wouldnt have a soup I would have a whole stew! Then again, it sure might have helped me while I was growing up...
edited just because

Last edited by aricelli on Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 9:56 am
I answered that I suspect a diagnoses but I do have a my child who is severely develomentally disabled. She was never diagnosed with any abcs. But I do struggle every day trying to get her the right help.

I have always joked about myself that I have an add personality, but with therapy I am realizing how much this executive function disorder is affecting my life and I am going to go on meds. My daughter jas my exact personality and while she is doing fine so far, I am keeping my eye on her and trying to help her learn to manage her add. There is no reason someone should struggle just because they are sort of coping.

amother
Tangerine

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 10:12 am
The thread title might be disproportionately attracting posters who have a child with a diagnosis, to open the thread

amother
White

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 10:54 am
amother wrote:
For us sensory therapy made a difference, but I still think he has the ADHD personality. And now that he's an adult, b'h, he's awesome!!!! We just had to make it through the hard years though (square peg in round hole and all that).

For anyone going the sensory route - I just spoke to a relative who's an OT and she spoke to me honestly, and she said that it's more an art than a science. So if sensory therapy is not working, it may be the therapist - it may be worth it to pay privately for a top notch therapist who's naturally gifted.

Yups. Same here. (But not the H factor)
I do hear about OT being an "art" rather than a "science". Thanks. I'll keep it in mind. I really hope OT will help.
At home it's not such a big deal.
Ideally, in school it shouldn't be either. But her teacher is totally not on board with teaching a "square peg". Only round ones and it's breaking my heart to see her struggle.

My daughter is such a beautiful butterfly and her teacher is trying to clip her wings instead of treating her to flowers.
Her add personality and talents have so much to offer. I hope and pray she has better teachers next year.

We are also working with someone to help her be more focused so that she has a better chance at success in school.

mha3484

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 11:09 am
My oldest has moderate to severe ADHD with some HFA traits and a verbal IQ that is super high. When we did the full eval he was really undermedicated so who knows what the other scores would be if we retested but I am not inclined to spend that money again at the moment. I think going through the process of getting the diagnosis and a deeper understanding of how he learns and thinks was really worthwhile. We can tailor our approach as parents, teachers therapists to how he learns the best. Also therapy costs a fortune so we can target the specific lagging skills since we know what they are. I have no regrets that we went ahead with the full testing etc.

My middle is in most ways the exact opposite of my oldest. Hes very timid, reserved and quiet. New people, new experiences are overwhelming to him. I took him to hear shofar on rosh hashana and he took one look at the room full of people and was like I am out of here. My mother was convinced he needed speech therapy he just needed a lot more time to warm up. I have figured out enough strategies to parent him that hes outgrown many of the things he is afraid of. If I wanted to go ahead and get him diagnosed with some sort of anxiety I'm sure he could be but I really dont feel a need. I think hes doing fine the way he is.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 12:33 pm
amother wrote:
The thread title might be disproportionately attracting posters who have a child with a diagnosis, to open the thread

I agree and I was worried about that. I am going to start a spinoff to direct possible "no" votes to.this thread.

amother
Plum

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:52 pm
amother wrote:

Doubt it. I actually think a huge percent of children are being diagnosed, IRL I think nearly every one of my friends has at least one.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:53 pm
aricelli wrote:
Amother seashell/
My ped confirmed what I think
the diagnoses is and told me I dont need an official label to do the therapy. We are doing wonderful therapy woth bh great results
This is not for everyone to do- it works for us. I once said this here and got a tomato for no neuropsych eval

What’s the point of avoiding the neuropsych eval? It might help get more services covered for one.

amother
Natural

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:
Doubt it. I actually think a huge percent of children are being diagnosed, IRL I think nearly every one of my friends has at least one.

Well since I posted the other linking thread just a couple of hours ago the "no" Percentage has moved from 17% to 43%. But that is still lower than I expected.

aricelli

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 3:07 pm
Olive:
I was already doing OT and floortime and seeing massive results when I sat down to talk to my ped about getting a dx- (I wasnt aware of in depth eval prior) he said that although he’s not a neurupsych he does feel my son has xyz (he’s a respected ped with many yrs experience) based on what he sees. He said that since my son is presently doing so well I should continue what I am doing - with future eval if needed.
I bh have a good insurance so I prefer to self pay and get reimbursed if needed. This way I can look around for good therapists.
Again: this is our story. I understand it doesnt make sense for others
* he’s doing amazing from where he’s been coming from. He’s not like a “regular” child but we measure progress in different ways...

amother
Mistyrose

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 5:04 pm
I have one child with a diagnosis, and two others who may or not not be diagnosed down the line.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 5:57 pm
Is it really 50 percent of families who deal with these issues?

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 6:53 pm
amother wrote:

I have always joked about myself that I have an add personality, but with therapy I am realizing how much this executive function disorder is affecting my life and I am going to go on meds. My daughter jas my exact personality and while she is doing fine so far, I am keeping my eye on her and trying to help her learn to manage her add. There is no reason someone should struggle just because they are sort of coping.

This is me exactly. I always joked that I have ADD until one day in therapy last year I asked my therapist if he thinks I have it and he told me I probably do. I got evaluated and I’m now on meds. It makes me sad to think of all those lost years. My son has it too. I haven’t gotten him evaluated yet because he’s managing with tutoring, but I am keeping my eye on him. The older I got, the harder it became to cope. Dealing with a household and preteens just became to much for me.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 8:15 pm
I voted no. None of my kids have an alphabet soup diagnosis, but my son has acute apraxia of speech. He has been in therapy for years and is b''h thriving.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 5:17 am
amother wrote:
I agree and I was worried about that. I am going to start a spinoff to direct possible "no" votes to.this thread.

Or perhaps it's the poll question itself that disproportionally attacts parents, and even bringing it to their attention won't get them to answer it. I didn't answer this one and I don't remember if I answered the one before it.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 5:24 am
I have a few kids with adhd

not surprised by the results - especially with bigger familes you have more of a chance of having at least 1 kids with 1 of these issues

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:22 am
I'm not sure how to vote on this poll. My teen has a mood disorder which is similar to bipolar disorder (some call it bipolar II). She basically suffers from depression, but had some hypomania which has disappeared with medication (she wouldn't mind having that part back - it made her feel super confident, and she was the type of kid who was G.O. in elementary school before the depression part came and had to be treated...) The depression is harder to treat, though she is doing pretty well on mood stabilizers.

She also has Hashimotos which doesn't make it any easier since each affects the other somewhat.....

I would vote "has a diagnosis" but it's not shortened by alphabet.

Zehava

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:41 am
deleted

Last edited by Zehava on Tue, Feb 19 2019, 10:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Zehava

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 9:44 am
amother wrote:
Yups. Same here. (But not the H factor)
I do hear about OT being an "art" rather than a "science". Thanks. I'll keep it in mind. I really hope OT will help.
At home it's not such a big deal.
Ideally, in school it shouldn't be either. But her teacher is totally not on board with teaching a "square peg". Only round ones and it's breaking my heart to see her struggle.

My daughter is such a beautiful butterfly and her teacher is trying to clip her wings instead of treating her to flowers.
Her add personality and talents have so much to offer. I hope and pray she has better teachers next year.

We are also working with someone to help her be more focused so that she has a better chance at success in school.

Exactly this
It’s heartbreaking to see your delicate beautiful child being put through the harsh rigors of the system and punished just for being their beautiful self.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics