Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Hostess gift for someone in smaller jewish community

amother
Emerald

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 12:05 pm
we live in a major jewish community and we're going to visit a smaller community and staying with a family we don't know. rather than a generic hostess gift that the host can buy themselves, I'm wondering if there's something we could bring that the hostess would find nice and that they can't get easily. I have no idea what that might be -- maybe a bottle of wine that's not a major brand? some israeli or specialized product?

for people living in smaller communities, can you easily get everything you need or want at your local kosher market or online?

amother
Teal

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 12:09 pm
I live in an oot community and we don't have any oh nuts type of stores. My kids (and dh and I Very Happy ) would looove one of those big oh nuts candy platters. We can buy all the candy packages individually but it's not cheap. Having it all in one platter would be amazing.

challahchallah

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 12:15 pm
Even small brands of wine are easy to get online. Food is much harder since many perishables you can't get at all and non-perishables you often have to order huge cases of. If you can pull off bringing some nice cheese, that's what everyone in my community is always struggling to find someone to bring back from New York or Israel. If you want to stick to non-perishables, I think some fun sauces or nice baked goods.

challahchallah

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 12:18 pm
My husband adds that while wine has good distribution, other types of alcohol have less so. He suggests some sort of local or small brand liqueur.

zaq

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 12:45 pm
Very thoughtful of you to consider this. If you don't want to ask your hostess directly, ask for the contact info of the local rebbetzin and ask her.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 12:51 pm
Not all small communities are created the same. I'd ask

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:01 pm
In my community ppl would love a candy platter or fresh baked rogalech from a bakery (not the Stern’s ones lol)

Raisin

Post Mon, Feb 18 2019, 1:38 pm
It really depends where and what is available. I live in a small community and some things are easy to get here, others are not. We keep chalav yisrael so CY chocolate is always appreciated but if you don't keep CY there is no lack of kosher chocolate. Our local store actually has a pretty good selection of cheese though but we would probably appreciate unusual cheese as a gift.

People often ask us if we need something. I would ask. You never know - they might really need some random item from the big city.

amother
Aubergine

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 3:26 am
My dc live in an oot community that’s not exactly small but has no shomer Shabbos bakery. The challah comes from NY once a week and by Shabbos is often stale or moldy, or both. They always ask us to bring challah since they don’t bake.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 4:33 am
A kosher cookbook or Jewish themed toys.

devash1

Post Tue, Feb 19 2019, 5:16 am
I would definitely ask. I grew up in a small Jewish community so I know how much it is appreciated to get something special that you can't always get.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics